HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 4:44 AM
still here

Smile

This is really exciting news about the 52nd Ave. South area. I'm wondering where you are getting all this information on these cities though. I know most of it is from the Fargo-Moorhead Forum newspaper but the things that are not found in the paper, how do you know about them?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 4:50 AM
still here

Sorry if I'm bothering you too much but, I have one last question for now. Where did you find the population of Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo, and the metro. area? And sorry again but, what about Dilworth's population?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy
Oh, SNAP!!! We have another FM forumer!!! Welcome, F-Misthebest!!!

You live in Horace, you say?? That's cool. That town is growing like crazy, and last time I checked it was almost completely connected to WF. I consider it part of the urban area.

I'm a student at NDSU, btw.
You can add another FM forumer to the list. I live in North Fargo and have been in Fargo for over 20 years, so I have seen a lot of the Growth. The growth just keeps on getting crazier, I never would have thought that there would be three Menards stores in FM but it looks like it will be that way soon. Another development not mentioned in this forum that I have seen is the new scheels all-sports store. This not your ordinary sports store since it is going to to be the biggest one in the world and I can't wait until it opens this summer. Also Microsoft recently decided to expand their Fargo campus and it looks like they will add 100+ employees and two or three new buildings.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 9:40 PM

Way to go Fargo. Growing both economically and forumly.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 11:56 PM
still here

It is great news that the Fargo-Moorhead area is growing extremely fast! In 2004 Fargo alone in the city was 91,048 and two years later it is 102,254! It grew 12,000 people in two years! That's pretty fast if you ask me. Also Moorhead in 2004 was 33,390 and now its 38,346. Again I think that's very fast for a town like Moorhead. I hope that Romano's Macaroni Grill, Red Robin, and Carraba's move in soon. I'm sure the first one of those three that we will get first is Red Robin. Then the Macaroni Grill then Carraba's but I don't think Carraba's will come in for a while. I also hope that they build an upscale mall in south Fargo probably on 52nd Avenue. I also hope another Best Buy moves into Moorhead. I'm very excited that Home Depot and Menards are going into Moorhead. I'm interested to find out what two restaurants are moving into the Mallard Creek Commons in south Moorhead. In the Shoppes at Osgood Development at the intersection of 40th Ave. South and 45th Street South, a salon has moved in and the sign on Hornbacher's Grocery Store has gone up. I hope a Panera goes into the Shoppes at Osgood as well. I also cannot wait for the Libery Square Part 1 goes up and the Libery Square Part 2 gets finished to see what shops go in. I'm interested to see if a Hollister moves into the area also. Lincoln, Nebraska has one as well as a Banana Republic and they're only a little bigger in size. They have about 235,000 people.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; May 21, 2006 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 11:58 PM
still here

Oh and SmileyBoy, I'm looking forward to see the pictures you are taking of the area!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 12:25 AM
still here

Another idea for the 52nd Avenue is an upscale movies theatre. Again Lincoln, Nebraska and Omaha, Nebraska have the nicest movies theatres ever! They're called the Douglas theatres and I think Fargo needs to open an extremely nice movie theatre that takes checks and credit cards. They need to have other food besides popcorn like hotdogs and slices of pizza or a personal size pizza. We could put the CEC theatres out of business and all the theatres could be nice like the Douglas theatres. I think Fargo-Moorhead is also ready to have an upscale Dinner Theatre that puts on like two good shows a year that run for a month and a half. When the city of Fargo voted on the CityScapes Plaza most of the population said they would rather have an area for theatre instead of another sports arena. About 34% I think voted for a theatre space. That was the highest percentage of people who voted for one thing.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 1:44 AM
Honored Member

Hey everyone, I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been really busy. Anyway, it's great to see a 3ed F-M forumer on board!! Welcome, BigTicket!!

As far as new news goes, I'm afraid the city Planning and Zoning Commission has rejected the plan for rezoning for a new Wal-Mart SuperCenter on the corner of 52nd and I-29. While I'm not too disappointed at the fact that Wal-Mart itself won't be built there, I'm really concerned that this will make Menards and Target rethink their proposals on building on the other side of the interstate. I hope that it won't be the case.

I noticed that F-Misthebest brought up the population of Fargo. 90,599 was the 2000 population of the city, not the 2004 estimate, or anything like that. I got the number of 102,254 as a July 2005 estimate from City Hall. You can't find it online, or anything. Which means the city grew by almost 12,000 in a little over 5 years. And I got the Moorhead number from their web site.

And I truly believe that with all of the new retail centres being built in F-M, that we will see a huge influx soon of unique businesses coming to the city. My advice is to just read the Forum regularly, because they usually have those kinds of stories.

Anyway, I'll hopefully be back with some more news!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 1:49 AM
Honored Member

F-Misthebest, you were also talking about the ideas of having a Hollister and a Banana Republic in the city. I think that's a great idea, and it makes me wonder why we haven't had them already. West Acres is a big enough mall (130+ stores) to have something like that. Those kind of things would have to go into West Acres, as I believe Hollister is a mall-exclusive store, and Banana Republic won't build in any suburban development that's not a shopping centre. I would also like to see a Cinnabon open up in West Acres as well. It's amazing to see how much different of a place West Acres is nowadays compared to when I was a kid back in the 80's. Back then, I remember that West Acres and Target were at the end of the line driving west on 13th Ave., and you had to travel through 2 1/2 miles of barren field to get to West Fargo. It's a completely different story now.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 1:59 AM
still here

SmileyBoy, I thought you said earlier that the SuperTarget and Wal-Mart Supercenter got the go ahead to build both of them. What changed?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 10:48 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
SmileyBoy, I thought you said earlier that the SuperTarget and Wal-Mart Supercenter got the go ahead to build both of them. What changed?
Target still apparently wants to buy the land that the city annexed on that intersection, but as far as I know, the proccess isn't complete yet. I'm hoping that Target will still want to build there. Wal-Mart wanted to build on the (now rejected) intersection, because land owners Fred and Earlyne Hector wanted to sell the land to Wal-Mart, but in order to build a Supercenter there, they would need at least 40-45 acres of zoned commercial on that plot of land, but only 15 acres were zoned commercial. The Planning Commission rejected the proposal, so now it looks like Wal-Mart won't build there. Maybe they might consider building somwehere else in South Fargo, like near the intersection of 40th Ave. and 45th St., or somewhere along 32nd Ave. west of 45th St. We'll see what happens.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 2:50 PM
still here

I still hope that they will build the SuperTarget on the southside of 52nd Ave. In my personal opinion, if I was the Target guy I would definetly by the land now that you won't have competion (Wal-Mart). So I would still build there. If Target goes in then that will increase growth down on 52nd. I don't think the Wal-Mart Supercenter would have increased upscale growth but it probably would have still have made other businesses to move in. I'm excited to find out what is going to happen with the Menards as well. Oh! When do you think you'll be posting the new pics of Fargo-Moorhead? I believe you said late this week or early next week, but I'm just wondering if you still plan on taking photos early this week. I also would like to know the address of the new urbanist development in North Dakota. You know the one with Joe's Crab Shack, the Marriot Hotel, and the condo skyscraper that will be 15+ stories. Thanks

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Apr 15, 2006 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2006, 4:25 PM

SmileyBoy, do you know have a recent figure on Fargo's Urban Area population? I noticed that in 2000 it was aroung 142,000, but am guessing that it has grown by a substantial amount in the last 6 years judging from the 2 city's population growth.
Also, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but do you know how far along the CityScapes Plaza developement is in the planning stages? Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2006, 9:44 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman0
SmileyBoy, do you know have a recent figure on Fargo's Urban Area population? I noticed that in 2000 it was aroung 142,000, but am guessing that it has grown by a substantial amount in the last 6 years judging from the 2 city's population growth.
Also, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but do you know how far along the CityScapes Plaza developement is in the planning stages? Thanks in advance.
Hey there. The F-M urban area population (as noted in my sig line) is around 168,000 as of July 2005. As for the Cityscapes development, it was put to a referendum by the voters last May, and the voters rejected it. I explained it in full detail in another post I made earlier this thread. I don't want to get into the details now, as they were pretty complex. Right now at the site, there's a lot more renovations going on to the existing buildings. Hopefully there will be some more buildings put in place to fill in the gaps on that block.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2006, 2:08 AM

Thanks for the response. That is an amazing and consistent 3.7% annual growth rate for the urban area since 2000. Sorry for not keeping up with this thread and missing that news, but it looks like Fargo is doing very well economically and will more than likely get something put in that spot soon. As the demographic in Fargo changes rapidly, a similar vote might have a better outcome next time.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 3:46 PM
Honored Member

Looks like there will be a new strip mall going up in Horace, of all places. it's called Stone Pointe Plaza, and it looks like it'll be built very soon.

Where it's going to go:

Construction pic as of March:

Here's the link to some info: http://www.goldmark.com/commercial/d...asp?propid=260

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 3:49 PM
Honored Member

Here's a few more pics:

Mallard Creek Commons site plan:

Mallard Creek Commons rendering:

The Crossing:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 12:27 AM
still here

That's great to know about the Stone Ridge Plaza. I drive by it almost every day to get home so I'm glad to know that it is going to look very nice. Right now it's not the nicest looking place, but eventually it will look good. I'm sort of mad at who ever decided to build the Eagle Run Plaza shops. They're building the mega strip mall on part at a time and the decided to build one part when the know only one business is going to go in. For example, the one that is under construction now. A daycare has moved in and that's it! They hadn't even finished putting in shops for the first one.

On a different note, I'm glad to see that the Shoppes at Osgood are almost completed. I actually drove to the Hornbacher's to go in because I thought it was open because there were people inside and there were cars in the parking lot. I was wrong. The cars were all the workers and construction people. Maybe a Bradea or a Caribou Coffee would look nice.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Apr 21, 2006 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2006, 6:01 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

I have arrived

Hello Smiley,

I'm another Fargoan!

I read you mentioned that Konrad Olson is thinking about building a 20+ story hotel/office/condo tower on the river front. Do you have ANY information on that, or could you elaborate some more.

Downtown Fargo is awesome. It's getting better every year. It would be great to see another tall building added to the skyline in the future! I heard though we have a height restriction on downtown buildings due to the FAA and jetliners flying close by downtown on their approach to the airport. I thought I remembered reading something about it in the Forum when the Radisson developers were talking about the height of that building (there's a myth it is actually taller than the state capitol building and law prevents ANY new building from being built taller, which of course is balogna). Anyways, they said they built it just short of the airspace limit for that approach-way.

Any comments?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2006, 10:28 PM
still here

BIG NEWS! The Hornbacher's in southwest Fargo in the Shops at Osgood opens today!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest