HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 8:39 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
That and how about build power poles along the main power lines (or use the ones in place now) you know the ones were they don't want trees or any plant life around the towers. Build towers that could hold solar panels and feed into the grid. It doesn't even need to be a lot of panels. Maybe a 10 x 10 area or 20 x 20 what ever. Easy for the sun to hit and I'm not sure but I think there are a whole bunch of them. Like a lot.

I personally do not like solar power fields. If you are all gun hoe about the environment then how is putting 5000 solar panels down on the ground environmentally conscious. You are tearing up a ton of land to put those things there. Think of the gophers.
I once saw an idea where instead of solar panels on the power polls they had wind turbines attached to each one.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I once saw an idea where instead of solar panels on the power polls they had wind turbines attached to each one.
Now you're just talking funny. Why would anyone be efficient like that.

As I was driving on the Mountain View Corridor today the thought popped in, how about they construct a windmill that holds the power lines and attach a few solar panels to them. And I'm just talking about the big towers because once you get into the city poles people start whining about how it looks.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 10:03 PM

I have been meaning to take a photo of this for a while and driving by this time I finally had my phone ready. A friendly local business on 300 W and about 2600 S had this solar canopy installed pretty recently

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 10:13 PM
The Drifter

Looks like they have a bunch on top of their building as well. Always nice to see people and businesses thinking of ways to be green.

I always think how much power we as a state could produce if every home, office building, industrial building and retail buildings had these on the roof. I am sure we could produce 2/3 to 3/4 of the total power consumption the state of Utah uses and it would be without wasteful land use. I always find it not so green when they make a solar power plant that takes up 300 acres or more.

Another thing to increase power production would be to add smaller wind turbines to each power line pole and larger ones to the taller lines.

This link takes to you to a site that has a concept to adds wind turbines to existing structures.
http://www.aerodyndesign.com/small_w...nd_turbine.htm

Last edited by StevenF; Apr 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
I have been meaning to take a photo of this for a while and driving by this time I finally had my phone ready. A friendly local business on 300 W and about 2600 S had this solar canopy installed pretty recently

Not that I'm super familiar with that building but I believe that is a stip club

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
This link takes to you to a site that has a concept to adds wind turbines to existing structures.
http://www.aerodyndesign.com/small_w...nd_turbine.htm

It's so easy a caveman would do it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 11:48 AM

Massive green-energy project taps salt caverns near Delta

By Amy Joi O'Donoghue, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ear-Delta.html

"This project would be the 21st century's Hoover Dam — a landmark of the clean-energy revolution," said Jeff Meyer, managing partner of Pathfinder Renewable Wind Energy.

The salt domes for compressed air energy storage are the biggest structures of their kind west of the Mississippi and figure as central components of a four-company green-energy project detailed in a Tuesday teleconference by company executives.

Construction of one of the nation's largest wind farms is planned for 40 miles outside of Cheyenne, Wyoming, to ultimately deliver enough electricity to power 1.2 million homes in Southern California.

The green-energy initiative involves Pathfinder Renewable Wind Energy, Magnum Energy, Dresser-Rand and Duke-American Transmission, which plan to submit their proposal to the Southern California Public Power Authority by early 2015 in response to the agency's request for proposals to supply the Los Angeles area with renewable energy and electricity storage...

An $8 billion green-energy project detailed in a Tuesday teleconference proposes to take Wyoming wind energy, store it in huge salt caverns near Delta in Millard County and ultimately convey that electricity to Southern California customers.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:05 AM

Why can't some of that energy be used to power homes in, oh say, Utah and Wyoming?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:23 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Why can't some of that energy be used to power homes in, oh say, Utah and Wyoming?
Because Utah has much lower wages and cost of living than LA. If we included this massive wind project or a nuclear power plant into our local energy portfolio (both of which are about the same to build in expenses), it would skyrocket local power bills.

California wants to get something like 25 percent to 33 percent of its energy from renewables. If this project was just for Utah it would mean powering half our state with renewables. And we don't have the economy to digest that.

If we replace every coal power plant in Utah with natural gas we will hit our carbon reduction goals as outlined by the EPA. Energy will stay cheap and we will continue to remain a light industrial manufacturing powerhouse. With lower power bills, the purchasing power of every resident here will go further.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:14 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Because Utah has much lower wages and cost of living than LA. If we included this massive wind project or a nuclear power plant into our local energy portfolio (both of which are about the same to build in expenses), it would skyrocket local power bills.

California wants to get something like 25 percent to 33 percent of its energy from renewables. If this project was just for Utah it would mean powering half our state with renewables. And we don't have the economy to digest that.

If we replace every coal power plant in Utah with natural gas we will hit our carbon reduction goals as outlined by the EPA. Energy will stay cheap and we will continue to remain a light industrial manufacturing powerhouse. With lower power bills, the purchasing power of every resident here will go further.
Which only works due to the higher-priced power that is exported to other markets, namely California. Utah's lower rates are subsidized by the higher rates that generators get outside of the state. Which is pretty advantageous for Utah as new emission standards in California drive the refit of coal plants in Utah. Even a nuclear plant in Utah would be constructed to provide power to California in a non-utility generator model with LT contracts to California utilities while avoiding the social costs of operating such a facility in granola land.

Utah won't have utility-scale renewables providing power until the state mandates that x % of generation comes from renewables and allow the utilities to pass the cost of such generation onto their customers.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West