HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I gotta give a shout out to my buddies Devin, Jason and Keaton today's Bombers game was a true grind in this Winnipeg blizzard with the wind in the upper deck at IG field. Bombers effort was true meat and potatoes footbal, defensive grind sprinkled with good running attack. Grey Cup in Hamilton will be Hawaii weather compared to this today in Peg City. I would take this Bombers defense to the bowels of Hell to fight the devil himself they are so incredibly tough its amazing!
7 day forecast for next Sunday in Hamilton looks a lot like today in Toronto, maybe not as windy though. High just a bit above freezing in the daytime so probably around freezing at gametime and slight chance of flurries. Not sure which side that plays an advantage to, if either.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 2:39 AM

Over 31000 in attendance for west final largest Bombers playoff crowd since 1987.

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/05/b...ther-thoughts/

Bombers overcome turnovers to bounce Riders (& 15 other thoughts)

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers defeated the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the West Final at a frigid IG Field by a score of 21-17 on Sunday. Below are my thoughts on the game.

Harris dominates

Andrew Harris made his return to the field after missing the final four games of the regular season with a knee injury. He showed no signs of rust, recording 23 carries for 136 yards and a touchdown. His score came late in the third quarter as he hammered in a short carry from three yards out.

Winnipeg went 7-0 with Harris in the lineup during the regular season, including both of Winnipeg’s regular season victories over Saskatchewan. The 34-year-old is obviously closer to the end of his career than to the start of it — next week’s Grey Cup might even be his final game — but he hasn’t shown signs of rust when healthy.

If the West Final was Harris’ final game in his home city, congratulations to him on another great performance. As has often been the case since he joined the Blue Bombers in 2016, he was the best player on the field on Sunday.

Kudos to his offensive line of Stanley Bryant, Drew Desjarlais, Michael Couture, Patrick Neufeld, and Jermarcus Hardrick as well. They were excellent on Sunday.

Turnovers galore

The Blue Bombers committed five turnovers in the first half, which was shocking considering they only gave up 20 over the course of the 14-game regular season.

Nic Demski bobbled an early would-be touchdown into the arms of Ed Gainey, Drew Wolitarsky and Rasheed Bailey fumbled in the red zone, and Zach Collaros made a pair of poor decisions when throwing picks to Nick Marshall and Nigel Harris.

Saskatchewan had only 105 offensive yards in the first half, which was a testament to Winnipeg’s stifling defence. The only major they allowed came after Elie Bouka’s 92-yard fumble return, which gave the Riders a first down at Winnipeg’s 17-yard line.

Head coach Mike O’Shea credited his team after the game for remaining level-headed, realizing that they were only down by three points. He said the club had many close games during the season and they never lost focus or panicked despite the early turnovers.

IG Field

The West Final was just the second postseason game ever played at IG Field — if you don’t count the 2015 Grey Cup — and the first one won by the home side.

Winnipeg hosted Edmonton in the 2017 West Semi-Final, but lost by a score of 39-32 as Brandon Zylstra posted eight catches for 156 yards and two touchdowns.

It’s pretty wild that Winnipeg was able to end a 29-year Grey Cup drought before christening IG Field with a playoff win, but this is the CFL — things rarely unfold predictably.

Sunday’s game was the first home playoff victory for the Blue Bombers since the 2011 East Final. That club was unable to convert

What a crowd

Take a bow, citizens of Bomberland. 31,160 fans purchased tickets to Sunday’s West Final and the crowd was excellent despite the home team’s poor start. Fans in the north end zone were on their feet throughout the second half and the crowd was as loud as I’ve ever heard it while Saskatchewan’s offence was on the field late in the game.

Unofficially, this was the biggest crowd for a home playoff game in Winnipeg since 1987. Attendance at the 2017 West Semi-Final was 27,244, while 30,051 fans attended the 2011 East Final at old Canad Inns Stadium.

The game wasn’t a sellout, but 31,160 is an excellent number given the weather in Winnipeg. At a time when it’s harder and harder to get fans out for live sporting events, you have to credit Bomber fans for turning out in droves.

For those wondering, the number of fans sporting green on Sunday was very small. That’s not a knock on Rider fans — a global pandemic and snowy highway conditions make it tough to travel. I only mention it to illustrate that the crowd was overwhelmingly made up of Blue Bombers fans.

Chess match

Saskatchewan offensive coordinator Jason Maas got a big win in the chess match against Winnipeg defensive coordinator Richie Hall early in the second quarter. Weak-side linebacker Kyrie Wilson was caught deep in coverage against receiver Jake Harty, which was a big mismatch in favour of the Riders.

Wilson panicked late on the route and took a 39-yard pass interference penalty, setting up Saskatchewan with a first down deep in Winnipeg territory. Teams will manipulate alignments, personnel groupings, and pre-snap motion to try to generate favourable matchups and the Riders achieved that there, cashing in with a field goal to cap the drive.

I thought Winnipeg offensive coordinator Buck Pierce made a great call on the club’s final drive when he called a jet-sweep to Demski. The defence clearly expected Harris to get the carry, which allowed Demski to bust a 15-yard run off the right side to seal the victory.

Ouch!

Andrew Harris told the media after the game that Saskatchewan was doing some “dirty s***” before halftime and accused receiver Duke Williams poking defensive back Brandon Alexander in the eye.

Williams was accused of spitting on Shawn Lemon last week in the West Semi-Final, though Williams denied Lemon’s claim on Twitter. The league was investigating the matter last week, but did not provide an update when asked on Friday.

The fake punt

Mike O’Shea told the media after the game why Marc Liegghio took off running on a fake punt midway through the third quarter.

O’Shea indicated that Saskatchewan had too many men on the field, which prompted Winnipeg to snap the ball quickly. Liegghio, a rookie, was caught a little off-guard, which wouldn’t have mattered had the Riders been penalized.

Though I’ve yet to see a replay, Saskatchewan’s extra man must have run off the field in time. The club wasn’t penalized and Winnipeg’s unsuccessful fake punt stood.

Botched call

The CFL’s command centre completely botched the call on Duke Williams’ 31-yard catch late in the fourth quarter to extend Saskatchewan’s final drive. The replay clearly showed that the ball hit the ground, though Williams probably should have been penalized for offensive pass interference anyway.

The overwhelming consensus on social media was that the catch shouldn’t have counted. It didn’t end up mattering — Saskatchewan was unable to convert on their final drive anyway — but it would have been a hotly-debated topic for years on the prairies had the Riders pulled out the late win.

Gone with the wind

The Riders won the coin toss and deferred to the second half, which made sense given the weather conditions. It was strange that Saskatchewan elected to receive to start the second half instead of taking the wind in the fourth quarter, giving that advantage to Winnipeg.

The forecast indicated that the wind was only supposed to get stronger as the game went on, though Craig Dickenson indicated after the game that he felt the wind didn’t end up being a huge factor. Fair enough.

Shaq attack

You have to wonder about Saskatchewan Roughriders’ receiver Shaq Evans and the status of his injured foot. An all-star in 2019, Evans finished the West Final without a catch or a target. His production fell off a cliff this year and he was invisible in the postseason.

Making history

Winnipeg finished undefeated at home for the first time since 1984 and are going to back-to-back Grey Cups for the first time since 1992-93.

Sunday’s game was the first West Final played in Winnipeg since 1972 and the fourth played between Saskatchewan and Winnipeg since the CFL was formed in 1958. I think it’s pretty neat that two of those meetings have come in the last two seasons — with respect to B.C., Calgary, and Edmonton, there’s something that just feels right about the league’s prairie rivals meeting in the West Final.

Living legend

Radio play-by-play man Bob Irving called the final game of his 47-year career on Sunday as the 71-year-old enters retirement. I think Ben Waldman of the Winnipeg Free Press described Irving’s voice the best this past week when he called it “soft and strong, animated yet subdued, gentle and authoritative.”

Sunday’s pregame ceremony unveiling him as the 2021 inductee to the IG Field Ring of Honour was interrupted by the Riders entering the field of play. I have no idea who was to blame for the timing issue, but I certainly hope the Riders didn’t interrupt the unveiling on purpose — that would have been classless.

The 2022 season won’t be the same without you, Bob. I don’t envy whoever takes over as the new voice of the Blue Bombers — your shoes are impossible to fill.

Strevolution

There was a group of shirtless fans wandering the concourse in Stetson hats and fur coats, outfits that were surely inspired by Chris Streveler’s outfit from last season’s Grey Cup parade. They were also carrying large printed signs bearing the image of Bob Irving’s face.

If any of those individuals are reading this: well done — those are some of the best game day outfits I’ve ever seen.

Snow problem

Shoutout to the staff members who were at IG Field before the crack of dawn to clear snow off stadium seats and entryways. It’s a thankless, painstaking job but it’s a critical part of game day.

The temperature at kickoff in Winnipeg was minus-10, feeling like minus-16. It’s this type of weather that reminds me of something I was told as a kid: every Bomber fan needs two jerseys: one that fits normally and one that fits over a parka.

A great day for the CFL

Sunday was an excellent celebration of the Canadian Football League. There was a nice big crowd at BMO Field, attendance was great in Winnipeg despite the frigid weather, both games generated plenty of buzz on social media, and I predict TSN’s ratings will be very strong for both games.

Don’t listen to anyone who blindly suggests that the CFL is dead or needs to merge with a second-rate American league. The CFL needs to evolve, grow, and change, but it’s far from dead. It’s thriving in many markets and there are real reasons for optimism moving forward.

Next up

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Winnipeg Blue Bombers will meet in the Grey Cup for the second consecutive year. O’Shea told the media that the team expected Hamilton would beat the Toronto Argonauts in the East Final, suggesting the Ticats were far better than their regular season record indicated.

Quarterback Dane Evans hasn’t started a game since Week 6, but you have to figure that he’ll start the Grey Cup after completing 16-of-16 pass attempts for 249 yards and one touchdown in a 27-19 win over Toronto in relief of Jeremiah Masoli.

Winnipeg dominated the 2019 Grey Cup despite entering the game as heavy underdogs. The Ticats will likely be the underdogs this year — my guess is by a touchdown — though they will be able to play in the friendly confines of Tim Hortons Field.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 6:33 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Bombers showed signs of “Stampederitis” with all the turnovers in a big game.
Thankfully they prevailed and justice was done as the superior team won.

Completely agree with this from thurmas:
The CFL’s command centre completely botched the call on Duke Williams’ 31-yard catch late in the fourth quarter to extend Saskatchewan’s final drive. The replay clearly showed that the ball hit the ground, though Williams probably should have been penalized for offensive pass interference anyway.

Was that really the first WF to be played in Winny since ‘72? That’s unbelievable.

Glad to hear it was a great atmosphere in Toronto. I really hope they can build some upward momentum there and in BC. As it’s been said, only need to convert a very small fraction of the population.

Last edited by craner; Dec 6, 2021 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 12:14 PM
The New Republic

That was the biggest tailgate I've ever seen in Toronto. It took up the entire parking lot and spilled over on to the parking lot south of Lakeshore Boulevard. It was about 40% Ti-Cats/60% Argonauts but a fun time regardless. Attendance of 21,492 might not be high for the CFL but it was double what the Argonauts had been drawing this season. Great atmosphere inside and outside the stadium.

Toronto shot itself in the foot early coming up with only 2 field goals early in the game despite first and goal both times. We lost but it was an entertaining day all around.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 1:40 PM
arf

Way to go Bombers.

I am optimistic by Cody throwing the ball down the field a couple of times. Netted a big pass interference call to give us a lead in the 4th quarter. Odd we didn't run the ball more.

Hats off to Collaros for only failing to complete 1 pass all day, although 3 of them were to the wrong team.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That was the biggest tailgate I've ever seen in Toronto. It took up the entire parking lot and spilled over on to the parking lot south of Lakeshore Boulevard. It was about 40% Ti-Cats/60% Argonauts but a fun time regardless. Attendance of 21,492 might not be high for the CFL but it was double what the Argonauts had been drawing this season. Great atmosphere inside and outside the stadium.

Toronto shot itself in the foot early coming up with only 2 field goals early in the game despite first and goal both times. We lost but it was an entertaining day all around.
I said to my daughter that not going for was going to cost the Argos. Even if they failed in the attempt the TiCat offence was sputtering and they would have had the ball back soon enough.

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:32 PM

I can't be angry that Winnipeg won last night. A hell of a game all around. I can't believe Winnipeg gave up 6 turnovers and we weren't wining by double digits at any point in the evening.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:34 PM

I'm still on a cloud after yesterday's game. That was not the prettiest win ever on the field, but damnit that was an epic game that people in Winnipeg will be talking about decades from now, the same way that the people who were at the last West Final in Winnipeg back in '72 still do, but in a more positive way given that this time the Bombers won.

I know the Bomber first half turnovers almost did them in but fortunately they played a stronger second half and in some respects it may be have been a good thing to snap back to reality after coasting through the last few weeks of the schedule. I'm betting on seeing a much more disciplined team next week. Also I'd imagine the weather and the wind in particular won't be as bad next week in Hamilton which should make the ball easier to throw and catch, there won't be as many bobbled balls, dicey cuts and gusts affecting the throws.

I knew the Bombers would be run-heavy just given the circumstances but Andrew Harris dramatically exceeded my expectations. I thought it would be a bit of a run by committee game but he stole the show with an outstanding solo performance.

The atmosphere at the game was really phenomenal yesterday, the weather weeded out the casuals and the people in the stadium were pretty much the 30,000 most fanatical diehards there are. The conditions in the stadium weren't as bad as I thought they would be, there was pretty good shelter from the wind so it was moderately cold but certainly not unbearable. I have been attending Bomber games since 1990 and this was hands down the best season ever from a fan standpoint, from the euphoric return to action in week one, to the glorious summer nights where the Bombers kept on winning, to the electric Banjo Bowl, to the continued fall dominance, capped off with a home playoff win for the ages, this has been a season unlike any other. Just perfect. And there is only one thing left to do

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:48 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I said to my daughter that not going for was going to cost the Argos. Even if they failed in the attempt the TiCat offence was sputtering and they would have had the ball back soon enough.
Your kicker getting 6 FGs is great, but usually only if you score TDs to go with that.

Inability to score cost the Ticats a few games this year. The offense has not been consistently good. Good defense has kept them in games but one can only expect so much from that.

I thought the missed extra point was going to haunt Hamilton too, and kill the momentum from that punt return TD. But then they got on a roll.

It will be interesting to see who starts at QB for Hamilton in the Cup. Evans brought an energy and pace to the offense that they'll probably need if they hope to do much vs. the Bombers' great defense.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 4:54 PM

The cats are crazy if they don't start Evans, he's the team's future and best shot at winning. Masoli just isn't the guy anymore since his injury, I doubt they would even be in the Grey Cup if the QB switch wasn't made last game

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 5:33 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
The cats are crazy if they don't start Evans, he's the team's future and best shot at winning. Masoli just isn't the guy anymore since his injury, I doubt they would even be in the Grey Cup if the QB switch wasn't made last game
Masoli is Masoli at this point in his career -- he has his great games, but then the others that are... not. His decision-making still isn't always good, and it's certainly not timely. He'll turn 34 next summer and while he probably still has a few years of play left in him, he's as good as he's ever going to be.

Evans still has upside and is only 28. I think he really showed what he's capable of yesterday -- he was finding open receivers smartly and promptly, often while escaping pressure. He's got athleticism and toughness. He also genuinely looks like he's having fun out there, and I think the offense feeds on that enthusiasm.

If the Ticats offer Masoli a contract I doubt it will be more than a backup-level one laden with bonuses for playing time and performance, regardless of whether he plays in the Grey Cup and whether he lights up the scoreboard. Other teams will offer much more. Evans will be Hamilton's focus, and if Masoli leaves Watford showed he is a good enough backup and it's time to give younger, newer players a chance to learn the game.

This is an off-season topic, but there could be a lot of change among starting QBs in 2022. Does Reilly keep playing? Do Harris, MBT, and Fajardo stay with Montreal, Toronto, and Saskatchewan? And to whom will Edmonton and Ottawa pin their hopes? Really the only ones that I think are most likely to stay and start for their current teams are Collaros, Evans, and Mitchell (add Adams too if Harris leaves the Als)

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Dec 6, 2021 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 8:56 PM

CFL magic

There is something magical about watching a snowy CFL playoff game in November or December -- not enough snow to degrade the quality of the game, or to keep the fans away, but enough to stir the emotions of any sports fan. In the modern-day pro-sports market, we have fewer and fewer examples of pure Canadiana. But in this year's CFL playoffs we were treated to three terrific, snowy games in Toronto, Hamilton, and Winnipeg. All of them should be celebrated.

And for football fans who envy the hype, crowd noise, and stadium-euphoria of the NFL, the Bombers / Roughies game last night in Winnipeg was as good as anything in the big-time U.S. league (dare I say better?). The third-quarter touchdown by hometown hero Andrew Harris, after slicing through the Roughriders defense and pumping the packed stadium into a frenzy, says it all. If you missed it, take a look:

https://twitter.com/3DownNation/stat...er-thoughts%2F

How's that for Canadiana!

Well done Winnipeg, you put on a remarkable show.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:19 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I was at the Bomber game yesterday - it was a great time.

We were even cordial to those brave Riders fans in attendance...

But everyone was having a blast - dressed for the weather and LOUD - All game.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:24 PM

Curious to see what will happen to the Argos players who jumped into the stands to fight a Ticat fan after the game - suspension, fine? Or will the league let Toronto get away with a mere slap on the wrist again.

I'm sure the fan said some pretty annoying/irritating things, but heckling is coming in pro sports and you're professional athletes. Says a lot about you if you can't keep your head and physically assault fans.

CFL players in wild brawl with fan after hopping into stands

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Curious to see what will happen to the Argos players who jumped into the stands to fight a Ticat fan after the game - suspension, fine? Or will the league let Toronto get away with a mere slap on the wrist again.

I'm sure the fan said some pretty annoying/irritating things, but heckling is coming in pro sports and you're professional athletes. Says a lot about you if you can't keep your head and physically assault fans.

CFL players in wild brawl with fan after hopping into stands
The fans started it. Just because you're a professional athlete doesn't mean you're suddenly allowed to be assaulted.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:30 PM

How did they start it if the players are on the field? Had they already climbed into the stands and got assaulted there?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
The fans started it. Just because you're a professional athlete doesn't mean you're suddenly allowed to be assaulted.
Verbal or physical? Generally the person who gets physical first is going to be considered in the wrong.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
There is something magical about watching a snowy CFL playoff game in November or December -- not enough snow to degrade the quality of the game, or to keep the fans away, but enough to stir the emotions of any sports fan. In the modern-day pro-sports market, we have fewer and fewer examples of pure Canadiana. But in this year's CFL playoffs we were treated to three terrific, snowy games in Toronto, Hamilton, and Winnipeg. All of them should be celebrated.

And for football fans who envy the hype, crowd noise, and stadium-euphoria of the NFL, the Bombers / Roughies game last night in Winnipeg was as good as anything in the big-time U.S. league (dare I say better?). The third-quarter touchdown by hometown hero Andrew Harris, after slicing through the Roughriders defense and pumping the packed stadium into a frenzy, says it all. If you missed it, take a look:

https://twitter.com/3DownNation/stat...er-thoughts%2F

How's that for Canadiana!

Well done Winnipeg, you put on a remarkable show.
I was thinking the same thing.

I'll be honest. I've been a CFL fan since the late 70s but I found the calibre of the game really rebounded excruciatingly slowly after the COVID shutdown.

I went to a few games in person in Ottawa and didn't really luck out either - they were all duds. The Redblacks stunk but the teams that beat them didn't look that good either.

I watched some regular season games this summer but it was only so-so: I found the league was really having trouble getting its groove back.

With the playoffs it seems like things have turned a corner. The intensity and execution was there and as a constant channel flipper, I didn't find anything more interesting or compelling from the NFL when I peeked there during the commercial breaks.

I always came back to the CFL games because I wanted to see what was going to happen next.

So bravo to the CFL! You're back!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

I'll be honest. I've been a CFL fan since the late 70s but I found the calibre of the game really rebounded excruciatingly slowly after the COVID shutdown.

I went to a few games in person in Ottawa and didn't really luck out either - they were all duds. The Redblacks stunk but the teams that beat them didn't look that good either.

I watched some regular season games this summer but it was only so-so: I found the league was really having trouble getting its groove back.

With the playoffs it seems like things have turned a corner. The intensity and execution was there and as a constant channel flipper, I didn't find anything more interesting or compelling from the NFL when I peeked there during the commercial breaks.

I always came back to the CFL games because I wanted to see what was going to happen next.

So bravo to the CFL! You're back!
Well, makes sense the playoff games have been good and the football has been better. The right teams made it in and made it interesting.

CFL IS BACK BABY!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Verbal or physical? Generally the person who gets physical first is going to be considered in the wrong.
What I've heard is the players had drinks dumped on them and were spit at.

EDIT: This video appears to show the beginning of it https://www.facebook.com/809395301/p...65912987375302

Last edited by HomerSPC; Dec 7, 2021 at 3:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada