HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 4:04 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Taipei: The World's Most Underrated City?

(partially inspired by destroycreate's Moscow thread)

I've recently taken a major interest in Taipei and Taiwanese culture writ large. Taiwan seems to be where China, Japan, and the Philippines all converge. I've even read that Korean culture is making inroads in Taiwan, and like South Korea, Taiwan has long been at odds with a more autocratic, yet ethnically harmonious neighbor.

From all the YouTube vlogs watched and Google Street Views explored, I've become convinced that Taipei is quietly one of the greatest cities in the world and perhaps the world's most underrated global city. Geographically, Taipei is situated equidistant between Hong Kong and Shanghai, has many direct flights to all of Japan's major cities, Seoul, Beijing, and greater Southeast Asia. It's the true crossroads of Asia.

Video Link

Among the major urban centers of East Asia, I dare say that Taipei has the best built environment. Taipei City squeezes in 2.5 million people in 104 square miles, but more than half of that land is uninhabited or sparsely populated mountainous or agricultural area. Core Taipei is about the size of Manhattan and Paris (sans Bois de Boulogne and Bois de Vincennes), and its population density is easily north of 50,000 per square mile. And this isn't including the urban intensity of the much-larger New Taipei City adjacent to it or nearby Taoyuan. Altogether, the Taipei-Keelung-Taoyuan metro area numbers 9.25 million — perhaps the least sprawly metro of its size in the developed world.

Taipei's back streets/alleys are more visually appealing than their Tokyo and Seoul counterparts, with more small food and retail establishments and the absence of power line poles. The straight roads make for photogenic streetscapes and canyons, but the grid's irregularity allows you to get lost in them:

https://goo.gl/maps/ewC6NMuuRDugoEmR7

The population density, concentration of businesses, and dozens of night markets and other places for food and drink being open until midnight or later — translate into vibrant streets.

The city's natural setting is probably second only to Hong Kong, with a gorgeous lush green mountains at its door step:

Source

https://goo.gl/maps/hvCVX8NDo2XQ8drG8

The mountainscape in Taiwan is also less interrupted by small, winding backcountry roads unlike in Japan and South Korea:

https://goo.gl/maps/6Fz91aJYi3EdnbJ4A

What are your thoughts about Taipei and Taiwan as far as urbanism, food, culture, and general inscape?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 4:56 AM

I've never been, but: I'll be honest, I tend to forget that Taipei is a Chicago-size city.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 5:34 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I too was surprised to find out that Taiwan was a country of 24 million. That's not large by Asian standards, but there are only 10 countries in the developed world with a larger population (US, Japan, Germany, France, UK, Italy, South Korea, Spain, Canada, Australia). I'd wager that most people had never heard of Taiwan until a few years ago, having completely forgotten what was taught to them in World History class. I remember watching an episode of the Amazing Race about 15 or so years ago, and one of the destinations was Taiwan. One of the contestants noted that he "[didn't] speak 'Thai.'"

What I can't get over in exploring Google Street Views of Taipei is how endless the urban intensity is. There are storefronts and signage practically everywhere. Even Paris and Manhattan can feel a bit sparse in comparison.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 6:15 AM
你的媽媽

I've been. Can vouch that it's very underrated relative to its bigger, more well known Asian city peers (HK/Shanghai/Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo/Osaka). Would highly recommend. Easy to navigate and extensive public transit system. Lots of little neighborhoods and back alleys full of mom and pop shops to wander around in. Some nice older, restored historic villages. If you tour the island (recommend side trips to Kenting, Hualien/Taroko) and there is some really great scenery in the high mountains (excellent for tea tastings) with lush forests, as well as a beautiful coastline. The food scene there is excellent and highly accessible. The numerous night markets IMO are hands down the best and most vibrant in the world. I'm not a clubber or partier so this was my kind of night scene. And the people are also far more laid back and friendly than the other bigger Asian megacities. Taipei 101 is also one of my favorite supertalls.

Some photos:

Last edited by homebucket; Sep 8, 2023 at 6:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 1:01 PM
in circulo imperium

My Taiwanese friend, who opened a vegetarian food business in the city where my parents live in MG, returned to Taipei. The most incredible thing is that he quickly learned to adapt here, the business was a success, but he had to go back because the family wouldn't adapt as well as he did and he wanted to bring them to live with him.

I remember he told me that the easiest place to speak English is in Singapore, a city that you've already visited homebucket and that I probe like a destination. Then HK and finally Taipei, comparing only these 3 Asian cities. In HK and Singapore I imagine there must be many signposts that are very helpful to any visitor.

About being friendly: Yes, judging by him, I noticed an incredible ease in communicating and I regret not having had more of these moments of acquiring knowledge while he was living here. On my last international trip, I also noticed a trend towards greater friendliness on the part of Thais and it surprises me that many countrymen here choose Bangkok as their first place to visit in Asia.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 2:00 PM

I've never been, but yeah, the urbanity looks really great. Looks like a prime city for wandering, and the food scene is supposedly extremely vibrant. The history and ethnic mix appear fascinating, with the native influences, the Japanese, etc.

I think there are some negatives. Looking at Streetview, it's pretty ugly, like HK, living conditions look closer to developing world than first world (definitely no Singapore in terms of prosperity, but far more interesting), and the prettiest parts of Taiwan are on the opposite end of the island (though the whole island has good natural scenery).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 2:25 PM

Doing more Streetview exploring, it strangely reminds me of Bogota.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 2:50 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I've never been, but yeah, the urbanity looks really great. Looks like a prime city for wandering, and the food scene is supposedly extremely vibrant. The history and ethnic mix appear fascinating, with the native influences, the Japanese, etc.

I think there are some negatives. Looking at Streetview, it's pretty ugly, like HK, living conditions look closer to developing world than first world (definitely no Singapore in terms of prosperity, but far more interesting), and the prettiest parts of Taiwan are on the opposite end of the island (though the whole island has good natural scenery).
I found SG a little bit too sterile, modern, and generic. A little bit lacking in culture and tradition compared to the other big Asian cities. More of the new rather than a blend of new and old. The MRT is fantastic, and the city is generally walkable but not as wanderable as HK or Taipei. It is surprisingly autocentric for a big Asian city, despite the insane costs of car ownership there. The food is great but not to the same level as HK and Taipei. The hawker centers are popular and cool but definitely a tier or two below Taipei's night markets in terms of pace and vibrancy. Still, a very beautiful city to visit and definitely the easiest for those who only speak English, to get around.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 3:50 PM
in circulo imperium

In addition to Singapore, I also consider Seoul. Taipei IMO will be enchantingly attractive once tensions have eased a bit. Seoul is also exposed as the Korean War an episode that has not been definitively resolved diplomatically. But the risk in Taipei is perhaps greater than anywhere in East Asia at the moment.

HK also suffered those years ago with Carrie Lam's tenure, it seems to have become stagnant after seeing neighboring Shenzhen's growth scare and it seems that it is now looking to get back on its feet again to offer a more stable environment for a visitor.

Singapore seems to be immune to many of these political problems, but it is still a destination for those looking for a more westernized Asia, with a lot of wealth and modernity, although this does not mean that the place has historical importance or surrounding culture.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 10:52 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Taiwan's GDP per capita is about the same as Japan and South Korea, and when adjusted for PPP, is 12th in the world (behind Denmark and above the Netherlands). And that's without Taipei being a major financial services hub. But Taiwan does produce 90% of the world's advanced semiconductor microchips that power our electronic devices.

Taipei is a classic example of vibrancy trumping beauty IMO. The tenements do look developing world, but the backstreets are clean and there are no ugly power line poles like in Japanese cities. There is something very romantic and orderly looking about them. It feels a bit Neapolitan.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 10:59 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 11:06 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Japanese couple's vlog of Taipei (mostly food) with some streetscapes. It's part of a series in which they traveled to towns along the Taiwan Railway (the design of which is clearly a vestige of the Japanese colonial era), ending in Kaohsiung in the south. Highly recommend watching.

Video Link

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Sep 8, 2023 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 11:16 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I found SG a little bit too sterile, modern, and generic. A little bit lacking in culture and tradition compared to the other big Asian cities. More of the new rather than a blend of new and old. The MRT is fantastic, and the city is generally walkable but not as wanderable as HK or Taipei. It is surprisingly autocentric for a big Asian city, despite the insane costs of car ownership there. The food is great but not to the same level as HK and Taipei. The hawker centers are popular and cool but definitely a tier or two below Taipei's night markets in terms of pace and vibrancy. Still, a very beautiful city to visit and definitely the easiest for those who only speak English, to get around.
Much has been said about Singapore being "dense" and how its land constraints make it the most expensive city in the world (tied with NYC, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit). Yet it's basically a bunch of "towers-in-the-park" subdivisions laid out a la 1980s Irvine. Terrible planning.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 11:24 PM
in circulo imperium

I really wouldn't have any problems with food, as I've eaten some fantastic things here, like a bundle made with peanuts and some breaded items made with the most diverse fillings.

There were several times that I said xie xie and ni hao ma and I quickly became familiar with some of the culture...

By me

By me

By me

By me

All pics took inside his restaurant.

I didn't even pay attention to the architectural conditions in Taipei. Perhaps the main point of interest was Taipei 101 and the historical buildings. What would be really interesting is to take advantage of the cordiality, receptivity, politeness and friendliness of the Taipeians. This is very important for a more uninformed visitor making the first visit.

Seeing her use her phone, I thought about how easy it was to use the language transcriptor for use in Taiwanese, which is similar to Mandarin. I would use the taxi more to go to points of interest.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 11:34 PM

I have a friend from Taiwan (who lives here in SoCal) who's been encouraging me to visit Taiwan for a while now, but I've never gotten around to it. People have said that Taipei is a very interesting city. My friend's husband is from Taipei---but she herself is from Kaohsiung, another seemingly underrated city. She said that if my partner and I ever go, she would let her family know so that they can accommodate us. I thought that that was nice, but I think it might be awkward. She said that she has extended family that live on several floors of an apartment building.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 11:44 PM
你的媽媽

^ Lots of Taiwanese in the SGV. A lot of my college friends that are Taiwanese hailed from Rowland Heights, Walnut, and Diamond Bar. The ones up here tend to come from Cupertino and Fremont. I’ve noticed they’re all very proud of the heritage and their outsized cultural influence on overall Asian American culture reflects that. The proliferation of boba shops and the quality of which seems to determine the quality of life in any given city.

626 night market anyone?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 1:24 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Scale comparison of Taipei proper to Paris (the "holy grail of urbanism") and Tokyo:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 1:35 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

What's interesting about Taipei is that there's no clear center both on a map and in real life. The government and financial districts are at the eastern end, while the hip-and-happening, fashionable areas are at the western edge. It's all one contiguous urban cityscape, unlike messy and random Tokyo and even messier and random Seoul. What's ironic is that all of Japan's other major cities largely follow a grid, but not the capital city itself.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 1:47 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
626 night market anyone?
"Flesh bled!"

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 2:11 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricio JF View Post
I didn't even pay attention to the architectural conditions in Taipei. Perhaps the main point of interest was Taipei 101 and the historical buildings.
Aside from old palaces, castles, hutongs, and Shanghai's Bund, Asian cities aren't really about architectural beauty. Although I do think that Tokyo's skyscrapers have a certain cosmopolitan language that is absent from even NYC's newest towers. For the most part though, glass skyscrapers are copied and pasted these days. Taipei's Fubon Xinyi A25 looks like a cross between the NYT Building and 3 WTC.

For such a young and relatively small country, Taiwan punches well above its weight — food paradise, history, cultural influences, arts and crafts, nature and scenery, etc. It's a hidden gem that gets overshadowed by its much-larger Han neighbor and the country it looks up to (Japan).

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions