HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 6:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

In that case, should we expect most of the announced projects that have not started yet to be out on hold or mothballed?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 1:51 PM

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 11:55 PM

The Travis County Commissioners voted to issue an RFP for the site:

https://communityimpact.com/austin/s...stin-property/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Sep 17, 2016 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 8:58 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 10:06 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by the atx View Post
yeeeessssss!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:42 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

So, is it for sale, or is Travis County taking proposals on how to develop it? If the latter, wouldn't that be a lease?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:58 AM

We did it, guys. We defeated this terrible abomination of an idea, for the betterment of Austin. Would be cool to see another Independent-sized building get built there. Or maybe break it up into two lots and build two buildings there.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:48 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
We did it, guys. We defeated this terrible abomination of an idea, for the betterment of Austin. Would be cool to see another Independent-sized building get built there. Or maybe break it up into two lots and build two buildings there.
Or we'll end up with something no taller than any of the surrounding buildings. I'm not as convinced that we will see some grand beauty or a new tallest. It will highly depend on the market drivers plus going by recent history, full city blocks don't produce tall towers, rather huge blocky shorter buildings. I'm glad that the county has decided to sell but I'll hold off on the celebration for now.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:54 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
So, is it for sale, or is Travis County taking proposals on how to develop it? If the latter, wouldn't that be a lease?
From the article, it seems to be a true selling of the land, which is a good thing.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Or we'll end up with something no taller than any of the surrounding buildings. I'm not as convinced that we will see some grand beauty or a new tallest. It will highly depend on the market drivers plus going by recent history, full city blocks don't produce tall towers, rather huge blocky shorter buildings. I'm glad that the county has decided to sell but I'll hold off on the celebration for now.
I share your concern about constructing buildings on full city blocks. We need a law preventing that kind of thing from happening. It results in a boring, generic downtown with no diversity. But, whatever gets built here, it has to be better than a damned courthouse, right?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:00 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I share your concern about constructing buildings on full city blocks. We need a law preventing that kind of thing from happening. It results in a boring, generic downtown with no diversity. But, whatever gets built here, it has to be better than a damned courthouse, right?
Right, I'm hopeful due to the block's high profile status that it will have at least some incentive to get something impressive there. I get frustrated when we have short or modest height buildings proposed and/or built on sites with no height limit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:17 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
It'll be something approximating the following: ~400' mixed-used in a blue glass rectangle oriented north south along Guadalupe on a 5-10 story full block podium, mostly one thing or another (I'll guess some offices marketed toward legal with residential over it), street level retail on 3rd, patio restaurant, office lobby, with a bar &/or Starbucks on 4th, parking garage and service ingress and egress on San Antonio, with the residential lobby on Guadalupe.

And that's if we're lucky. Are we feeling lucky?

If we're really lucky, it'll include some decently sized public plaza on the northwest corner of the lot at San Antonio and 4th, abutting the federal courthouse, to work in conjunction with Republican Square Park and the plaza in front of the courthouse itself.

If we're really, really lucky, there'll be a hotel component in a second tower on the western half of the lot.

If we're really, really, really lucky, maybe it'll have something ~550'+

If we're really, really, really, really lucky, maybe it'll have a not so boring, maybe even halfway decent design. Maybe. I doubt it.

Last edited by wwmiv; Sep 21, 2016 at 2:18 AM. Reason: sarcasm, snark, shade, but no really tho.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:34 AM
クラブトクヨ

Wish we could get a spec 750 tower like Houston. Also how the hell did Oklahoma City get a 850 tower?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Wish we could get a spec 750 tower like Houston. Also how the hell did Oklahoma City get a 850 tower?
The OKC tower was built by an energy company for their HQ. Energy companies (i.e. Houston) and banks (i.e. Charlotte) like to build trophy HQ.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I'd like to propose we get something like this (Mercury City Tower):

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Even if it *was* a courthouse...or a blocky low or midrise... I think ANY development there beats the hell out of a parking lot!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:58 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Even if it *was* a courthouse...or a blocky low or midrise... I think ANY development there beats the hell out of a parking lot!
I completely disagree with your opinion. "ANY" development does not beat the "hell" out of a parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 10:40 PM
Meh

Those Asian buildings, wherever they are, are pretty bad. I wouldn't mind Godzilla smashing them to bits. That one building looks like a malformed carrot.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Those Asian buildings, wherever they are, are pretty bad. I wouldn't mind Godzilla smashing them to bits. That one building looks like a malformed carrot.
That's a cluster in Moscow. On Streetview their is a pulloff in front of them where people stop for a photo Op.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 11:59 PM

I wish Hines would purchase the property and build a signature tower like 609 Main, or even BG Group Place Tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin