HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 7:49 AM

Mt Lassen / Susanville, CA

After my sister changed her mind last minute not to go out of state for college, and no longer need my help to move, I decided to use my week to take an impromptu road trip up through Northern California. I traveled over 900 miles over the course of 3.5 days and got to see a good slice of the middle part of our state. I hope you enjoy.

Winters/Willows - Red Bluff - Redding - Weaverville - Mt Shasta/Weed/Yreka

Day Three of my trip and I am saying goodbye to Mt. Shasta...

...and saying hello to Mt. Lassen...

Unfortunately, I did not have time to drive up to Mt Lassen which I'm told is an incredible drive. I just had to admire from afar.

Heading down into Susanville

Susanville, CA (pop 17,974)

Susanville, the seat of Lassen County, is located at a elevation of 4,186ft on the northeastern edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It is a former mining and logging town and now is home to the High Desert State Prison and the California Correctional Center. Having grown up in a small town in the foothills, lived in the suburbs of Sacramento and experienced city life in San Francisco, I don't often feel that "out of place" in the diverse cities in California. That is until I got to Susanville. The place (and the people) gave off a friendly, yet, curt vibe that made me feel like I didn't belong there. The same movies I watch were advertised at the theatre and the same songs coming out of the car radios play in my car, but, I can't explain it, these weren't the same people as me.

The Lassen County Courthouse, one of my favorite on my trip. Not moments before this photo, three prisoners were marched through the front doors in custody.

Susan...our city's namesake

Ironically city hall kind of looks like a prison

On my way out of Lassen County heading towards my next destination, I came across this little oddity near Westwood, CA

A little rural California nearby

I like cows...they don't complain when you take their photos

Tour of California 1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two, 14: Roseville & Folsom, 15: Concord & Walnut Creek, 16: Tri-Valley, 17: Berkeley, Emeryville, 18: Fremont, 19: Santa Clara, Mountain View, Palo Alto, 20: Redwood City, Foster City, San Mateo, 21: Oakland, 22: Benicia, Vallejo, 23: Napa, St. Helena, 24: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, 25: San Rafael, 26: Larkspur, Mill Valley, 27: Sausalito, Tiburon, 28: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, 29: Long Beach 2008, 30: Venice, 31: Santa Monica, 32: Sacramento Pt 3, 33: Solvang, 34: Alameda, 35: Knights Ferry, 36: California Zephyr, 37: Colfax, 38: Davis, 39: Oakdale, 40: San Francisco Pt 1, San Francisco Pt 2, 41: Chico, Redding, 42: Kings Beach, 43: Merced, 44: Gold Country pt 2, 45: Gold Country pt 3, 46: Sonora, 47: Vacaville, Fairfield, Suisun City, 48: Orange, Fullerton, 49: Anaheim, Irvine, 50: Newport Beach, Laguna Beach,51: San Francisco, Pt 3, 52: Lodi, 53: Martinez, 54: Ft Bragg, Mendocino, 55: San Luis Obispo, 56: Sacramento River Pt 1, 57: Sacramento River Pt 2, 58: Lake Merritt/Oakland, 59: Marysville/Yuba City, 60: Woodland, 61: Beverly Hills"62: Los Angeles, 63: Sacramento, 64: Lakeport, 65: South Lake Tahoe, 66: Salinas, Watsonville, 67: Pacific Grove. 68: Winters/Willows, 69: Red Bluff, 70: Redding, 71: Weaverville, 72: Yreka/Weed/Mt Shasta

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 11:44 AM

Looks like a cute town. I know that unexplainable feeling of being out of place. Like you, I have lived in all sorts of places & not easily intimidated. But, occasionally, there is a place.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:21 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks a lot for this beautiful tour through Northern California, stepper77.

Mount Lassen is amazing! I´ve liked the pictures of this pretty snow-covered mountain. I´d like to see it with my own eyes.

I see that Susanville is a nice town, quiet and pretty.

Great pictures of the landscape!

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 2:05 PM

Nice pictures. Another great little northern California town. I thought the High Desert was out in San Bernardino County and that area, though?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 4:51 PM

You always have interesting material... one of these days when I get a car I'm going to have to explore California myself. It's kind of sad that I only know a tiny fraction of my own state.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:23 PM

I really oughta stop looking at California threads because they're making me homesick. You do a great job of documenting what small-town California is like. I don't know if I've ever had that foreign feeling in California, but I definitely know what you mean.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 7:33 PM

Northern California................................sigh

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 9:43 PM

It's a shame you didn't make it into the National Park. That place is absolutely incredible, alpine lakes, meandering streams through picturesque meadows that used to be lakes, the hot springs and geothermal vents are a wonderful experience and sight (too hot to go in though!), and of course, the mountain itself. It's a relatively easy hike to the top and the caldera is pretty damn cool, definitely worth your while. Wonderful photoset Stepper, Northern California is truly a world of its own.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 9:48 PM

Rural/Outback California fascinates me so much b/c it really is so contradictory to what the world's image of this state is...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Rural/Outback California fascinates me so much b/c it really is so contradictory to what the world's image of this state is...
ain't that the truth!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 9:39 PM

Thanks, as always, for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. Another great little northern California town. I thought the High Desert was out in San Bernardino County and that area, though?
There is also another prison of the same same in Nevada northwest of Las Vegas. Perhaps that is the one you thinking of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You always have interesting material... one of these days when I get a car I'm going to have to explore California myself. It's kind of sad that I only know a tiny fraction of my own state.
You certainly do a great job with Oakland on your feet. I don't know how old you are, but, I'm 33 and only in the past five years have I really made any sort of directed effort to explore California other than the typical vacation spots. We are truly blessed to live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbassett View Post
It's a shame you didn't make it into the National Park. That place is absolutely incredible, alpine lakes, meandering streams through picturesque meadows that used to be lakes, the hot springs and geothermal vents are a wonderful experience and sight (too hot to go in though!), and of course, the mountain itself. It's a relatively easy hike to the top and the caldera is pretty damn cool, definitely worth your while. Wonderful photoset Stepper, Northern California is truly a world of its own.
I really wish I had had the time, but, I didn't want to do it if I was going to be rushed, which I would have been. The way you describe it sounds like it would be an awesome trip in it of itself and I will definitely plan to do that at some point.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
There is also another prison of the same same in Nevada northwest of Las Vegas. Perhaps that is the one you thinking of?
There's a minor league baseball team in Adelanto, CA that is called the High Desert Mavericks. I was under the assumption that this area around Adelanto, Victorville, Apple Valley, etc was the High Desert area.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 11:26 PM

Enjoyable thread. Enjoyed the last one with Yreka, Weed, and Mt Shasta as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 5:59 PM
Eurosceptic

I can feel the curtness in these photos.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos