HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 11:21 AM

Niagara Falls, ON: Drummondville, Lundy's Lane

Drummondville is a neighborhood centered around Main & Ferry Streets, west of the Clifton Hill tourist neighborhood. Drummondville was named after Sir Gordon Drummond, Major General of British Army who lead the defense of Lundy's Lane in the Battle of Lundy's Lane on July 25, 1814. The battle occurred when American forces heading north along the Portage Road were met by British forces holding a hill on Lundy's Lane, a side road.

Drummondville was incorporated in 1882 as the Village of Niagara Falls, which was next to the Town of Niagara Falls. The village and town merged in 1904 and became the City of Niagara Falls.

The wall of the cemetery, along Lundy's Lane, is decorated with panels depicting battle scenes.

The panels were placed on the wall in 2004 to commemorate the 190th anniverary of the battle.

The Battle of Lundy's Lane Monument, on the top of Drummond Hill in Drummond Hill Cemetery. The monument was dedicated in 1895 and marks the grave of 22 British soldiers.

A centennial memorial is located near the Battle of Lundy's Lane Monument, and was dedicated in 1914, 100 years after the battle.

"Holding The High Ground", in Drummond Hill Cemetery. The statue depicts Sir Gordon Drummond, who led British troops to victory in the Battle of Lundy's Lane by holding his position on this hill. His victory in the battle ended the Americans' offensive in Upper Canada. The statue was dedicated in 1989.

The view of Niagara Falls' skyline from Drummond Hill, the highest point in the city.

The Buchner House, on Buchner Place. The house was built in 1799 and is one of the few houses in Niagara Falls from the 18th century.

Fralick's Tavern, on Lundy's Lane. The tavern was built in 1836 and primarily served American tourists who visited the Lundy's Lane battlefield site.

Behind Fralick's Tavern are the remnants of the Durham Battlefield Tower, which was built in 1855 and deconstructed in 1870. The tower was one of many that provided aerial views of the old battlefield to tourists.

Looking north towards Stamford Village from Fralick's Tavern.

Drummond Hill Presbyterian Church, on Lundy's Lane. The church was built in 1960.

Lundy's Lane United Church, on Lundy's Lane.

Along Lundy's Lane are low-budget tourist-centered businesses, such as motels like this one.

Buildings at Main & Ferry Streets.

Buildings on Main Street.

An old theater, now the Canadian Serbian Cultural Centre, on Main Street.

Businesses on Main Street. The white building on the right was built in 1820 as an inn.

Buildings on Main Street.

Houses on Murray Street.

The Delta apartment building, on Main Street.

The Mary Ferguson House, on Main Street. The house was built in 1900 and is now a bed & breakfast.

Houses on Main Street.

Houses on Hanan Avenue.

The Nativity of the Holy Mother of God Ukrainian Catholic Church, on Main Street.

Solid Rock Assembly, in the old All Saints Anglican Church building, at Allendale Avenue & Robinson Street. The church was built in 1856.

A house on Delaware Street.

A house on Peer Street.

The John Misener Jr. House, on Peer Street. The house was built in 1855.

A house on Allendale Avenue.

The old Stamford Town Hall, on Ferry Street. The hall was built in 1874 and served as Stamford Township's center until 1963. Since 1970, it was the home of the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum, and recently was renamed the Niagara Falls History Museum.

Buildings on Ferry Street.

An old Royal Canadian Legion building, on Spring Street. The structure was built in 1921.

Lundy's Lane is a neighborhood west of Drummondville and is named after the main thoroughfare through the area.

Niagara's Best Brewery & Pub, on Lundy's Lane.

The Flying Saucer Drive-In restaurant, on Lundy's Lane.

Businesses on Lundy's Lane.

Buildings on Lundy's Lane.

The Egerton Morden House, on Corwin Avenue. The house was built in 1876.

A house on Corwin Avenue.

A house on Barker Street.

Houses on Barker Street.

The Calvary Chapel, on Franklin Avenue.

A house on Dorchester Road.

Niagara Orchard Community Church, on Dorchester Road.

Houses on Glenholme Avenue.

Lundy's Lane Fire Hall, on Glenholme Avenue. The hall was built in 1947.

Houses on Byng Avenue.

Houses on Prince Edward Avenue.

Stamford Memorial Arena, on Frederica Street. The arena was built in 1960 and serves as a a public arena for the city. The arena will be demolished now that a 4-pad arena was built in another section of town.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 12:20 PM

I don't think I have ever seen regular neighborhoods in Niagara Falls. Just the tourist section & actual falls. Very interesting to see.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 2:44 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 5:47 PM
Eurosceptic

I stayed at a low budget Lundy's Lane motel known for its broasted chicken on two occassions.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
I don't think I have ever seen regular neighborhoods in Niagara Falls. Just the tourist section & actual falls. Very interesting to see.
I've covered quite a few regular neighborhoods in both Niagara Falls, on the American side and Canadian side. I'll have to go back and look for links to other phototours.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 1:58 AM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

They Flying Saucer is amazing if you're looking to score a full breakfast after a night out =)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 5:43 PM

^ I know that flying saucer as well..Thanks for the pics. I still say the Falls should just go full bore Vegas, but that's in another thread.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 3:37 AM

Great pics. My sister used to live in that neighbourhood. I've eaten a lot of breakfasts at the Saucer.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos