HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 2:27 AM
Show me the blueprints

As far as the Pepsi wheel representing an "out of control consumer culture", I say that's nonsense. Since the age of the electric sign, signs of over the top scale have always existed, some still. Many became instant landmarks. They are a part of the urban environment. This Pepsi wheel is just taking it one step further. If the argument is that it's tacky—then maybe. But some things can and will become delightfully tacky. The setting also has a lot to do with it. No one would agree with this at the sight of the London Eye on the Thames, but at a sports complex next to the highway in the Meadowlands?... I'll take it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 10:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Good wheel design - Great Dubai wheel

Can we in the US seriously not come up with anything better than this?.

I do hope you are joking...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 11:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200..._meadowla.html

Legoland moving in to Xanadu at Meadowlands

by Maura McDermott
March 10, 2008

The Xanadu retail/entertainment complex at the Meadowlands will include a Legoland Discovery Centre, developers announced today.

The 44,000-square-foot children's attraction will be a "virtual city" made out of colorful, interlocking blocks, with hands-on activities such as model building, rides, a cinema with special effects, party rooms and a cafe.

Currently the only Legoland in the United States is in Carlsbad, Calif. Other locations include Denmark, Germany and the United Kingdom.

The Legoland attraction will be run by Merlin Entertainments, which is also set to operate the Pepsi Globe observation wheel. Merlin is also the operator of the London Eye observation wheel in England.

Merlin's presence at the complex "affirms the attractiveness and magnetism of Meadowlands Xanadu," said Larry Siegel, president of Meadowlands Development, which is building the complex.

The $2 billion Xanadu complex is under construction at the Meadowlands Sports Complex, and it is due to open in November. It is being financed by Colony Capital, a private equity firm.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...79&newsLang=en

Merlin Entertainments to Open LEGOLAND Discovery Centre at Meadowlands Xanadu

March 10, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--LEGOLAND Discovery Centre, an indoor LEGO® world designed for families and children aged 2 to 12, will open its second and largest location in the USA at the spectacular Meadowlands Xanadu entertainment and retail complex, it was announced by Meadowlands Development, the developer of Meadowlands Xanadu and Merlin Entertainments today.

The UK-based visitor attraction operator will also lease and operate the spectacular Pepsi Globe observation wheel.

“We are delighted to welcome world renowned Merlin Entertainments to Meadowlands Xanadu,” said Larry Siegel, President of Meadowlands Development. “They have a special gift for magnificent attractions that combine fun and learning for children and families. They marked the centennial for the world with the opening of The London Eye, and will make their mark here operating the Pepsi Globe and launching their newest concept - LEGOLAND Discovery Centre. Their presence affirms the attractiveness and magnetism of Meadowlands Xanadu at the dynamic core of a population center of 18 million, expected to draw 50 million visitors annually.”

The 44,000-square-foot, interactive virtual city will feature a huge central iconic structure fabricated entirely of the iconic interlocking colored bricks; and activities ranging from hands-on LEGO play to life–sized LEGO adventures designed to provide hours of family entertainment centered around children.

The attraction will also combine LEGO model building and unusual construction challenges with theme park-like attractions such as a dragon ride, adventure trail, and 4D cinema incorporating fantastical LEGO creatures and LEGO-based special effects. Other highlights will include a DUPLO play area for younger children, birthday party rooms, a LEGO café, a LEGO store, and a special room with rotating exhibitions of work by master LEGO builders.

The world famous London Eye is that city’s most popular tourist attraction and under Merlin’s aegis the 287-foot high Pepsi Globe promises to be among the most outstanding tourist attractions in the metropolitan region.

“Merlin Entertainments is currently opening five or six new attractions every year around the world, and the attractions at Meadowlands Xanadu will be important additions to our portfolio,” said Nick Varney, Chief Executive, Merlin Entertainments. “As the leading operator in Europe, we see enormous potential for our high quality attraction brands in the US – all of which are based on a strategy of ‘fun-learning’ and we look forward to enormous success at Meadowlands Xanadu.”

ABOUT MEADOWLANDS XANADU

Meadowlands Xanadu, under construction in the heart of the NY/NJ metropolitan region, will feature approximately 2.3 million square feet of unique entertainment, interactive attractions, sports and retail unlike any other in the world.

The $2 billion complex features five themed districts, Sports, Entertainment, Youth Culture, Food & Home and Fashion, providing a wide variety of experiences catering to different lifestyles and interests.

The spectacular complex in the New Jersey Meadowlands will be home to North America’s largest climate controlled Ferris wheel, The Pepsi Globe, offering breathtaking views of the Manhattan skyline and northern New Jersey. The top-of-the line retail stores, gourmet restaurants, America’s first indoor snow dome, a skydiving tower, multiple movie theaters, a concert and live theater venue and much more will be set in a high-energy, media-rich environment.

Meadowlands Xanadu is a unique destination that will redefine leisure time. It will be a stage where brands, entertainment and technology join to create larger than life experiences. Meadowlands Xanadu is being developed by Meadowlands Development whose investors include Colony Capital, The Dune Real Estate Funds and KanAm.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 12:40 AM

wow that sounds cool. im glad this place will at least break records around the world for malls and will have stuff that will make people want to come to jersey

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 9:46 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
As far as the Pepsi wheel representing an "out of control consumer culture", I say that's nonsense. Since the age of the electric sign, signs of over the top scale have always existed, some still. Many became instant landmarks. They are a part of the urban environment. This Pepsi wheel is just taking it one step further. If the argument is that it's tacky—then maybe. But some things can and will become delightfully tacky. The setting also has a lot to do with it. No one would agree with this at the sight of the London Eye on the Thames, but at a sports complex next to the highway in the Meadowlands?... I'll take it.
Maybe "out-of-control consumer culture" was a bit exaggerated. We do live in a country built on capitalism after all. Still though, this is not even attractive advertising, for me it would be an eyesore, in Times Square, on the Thames River, or next to the Jersey Turnpike, it really doesn't matter. I'd take the "Pepsi-Cola" sign on the Queens waterfront over this anyday.

Speaking of the London Eye, I wouldn't mind that in place of this wheel. What about the wheel at Navy Pier in Chicago? Come on people, we can do better....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 2:37 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
A- That Dubai Ferris Wheel is just as bad, if not even more hideous, than this Pepsi wheel. I mean, it looks like an homage to the cavemen who invented the wheel however many thousands of years ago.

B- While I don't think a Ferris Wheel will either contribute to or detract from this development, I think our consumer culture has gotten just about too out of control when we are erecting 287-foot PERMANENT Pepsi advertisements.
That pepsi wheel is undoubtedly the most appalling thing that I've ever seen.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 6:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
That pepsi wheel is undoubtedly the most appalling thing that I've ever seen.
Really? Of all the horrors out there, this is it?

It's not a great rendering, that's for sure. But we're talking Xanadu in the Meadowlands. It's meant to be a bit "cheesy". It could become as iconic for that complex as the Coke sign is for Times Square.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:56 PM

To be honest, I live in Bergen County and I think the entire Xanadu Project is pretty disgusting. This is like the icing on the cake.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 12:39 AM
low-riding

So i had to commandeer a vehicle to finally see this thing in person after so many years. now i am excited for what will be inside, but GOOD GOD its so UGLY!! That render does not do justice to all the clashing styles and multicolored facades. UGH. The person I was with tried reasoning with me that I'm being premature and that it will look better once its painted. When I told her that was the final paint job, her face was priceless. I could not see the beginnings of a ferris wheel yet so that has yet to be built.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 9:55 PM

yeah it really does look really ugly. i liked when they first came out with it that it was nice glass. now its horrendous. hopefully the inside will be better ;]

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 4:45 AM

i've been following this development for quite a long time, it's good to see it progressing, BUT a Pepsi Ferris Wheel, i mean i'm sure there are better logos (if they have so much need for one)
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 4:57 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeliko View Post
i've been following this development for quite a long time, it's good to see it progressing, BUT a Pepsi Ferris Wheel, i mean i'm sure there are better logos (if they have so much need for one)
Trust me, no Ferris Wheel NEEDS a ginormous logo on it.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 6:22 AM

Everytime I see this thread I keep thinking that it is some kind of Citizen Kane amusement park or something. I am glad to find out that it is an out-of-control mall with a giant Pepsi sign and an indoor ski hill. As long as you are going to build a mall you might as well go all out and make something crazy and huge like this. All we have near Chicago is Woodfield which is pretty lame, but it's not like I want anything better because I tend to stay as far away as I can from places like this.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 11:52 PM

this place is going to be insane with people once it opens. the meadowlands will always be packed and i expect long long long lines for everything they have inside

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 4:10 AM
low-riding

not for a while. official news, Xanadu's opening pushed back to Summer 2009 instead of this November

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 4:11 AM
low-riding

Newsday

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The developer of the Xanadu project in the Meadowlands says they're postponing its opening until next summer.

The massive, $2 billion retail and entertainment complex was to have opened this November.

Xanadu President Larry Siegel said delaying the opening will help meet the timetables of the building's tenants. The complex is to feature a 200-foot-high indoor snow dome, a movie complex, concert space and an upscale martini lounge and bowling alley.

The delay means a $185 million NJ Transit rail link to the Meadowlands should be completed by the time Xanadu opens.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 3:36 PM

thats a long time from now. but it gives them time to make it better haha

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 4:47 PM
World Machine

I always think of 'Citizen Kane' whenever I hear about this project. Why Xanadu? What's the meaning in relation to this project? I know in the movie the name was attributed to Kane's 'pleasure palace', but I see no pleasure when I see this building. Yet another disaster to be showcased on the Jersey Turnpike.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I always think of 'Citizen Kane' whenever I hear about this project. Why Xanadu? What's the meaning in relation to this project? I know in the movie the name was attributed to Kane's 'pleasure palace', but I see no pleasure when I see this building. Yet another disaster to be showcased on the Jersey Turnpike.
I could not agree more. This project is awful.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 1:49 AM

it really was a fantastic idea with all the great technology and stuff but now it seems to jsut be another ugly useless mall with some cool stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development