HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

2100 Market Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 1:28 PM

Is this that lot? If so, apparent big scale-down.

Brandywine plans 23-story office-residential tower on Market Street block hit by deadly 2013 collapse

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20191122.html

Quote:
The tower planned by Brandywine, which has owned most of the block bounded by 21st and 22nd Street, between Market and Ludlow, since 2015, would comprise 553,000 square feet of offices, dwellings and retail, the company’s chief executive Jerry Sweeney said in an email this week.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyika View Post
I heard from people involved with this project that it is due to break ground in about six months, and be completed in two years. 40 stories, mixed condos and offices. Renders should be available soon.
Welp!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 1:37 PM

A few quick observations -- yes, it is that lot.

The article states, 553,000 sq ft in total, but only 23 floors -- I guess this will be a short, fat building sadly. Not the 500 footer we were hoping for.

This is key:
"The company is seeking approvals for the building, to be designed by Philadelphia-based Erdy McHenry Architecture but will not begin construction until an anchor tenant is secured for its office space, he said."

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post

The article states, 553,000 sq ft in total, but only 23 floors -- I guess this will be a short, fat building sadly. Not the 500 footer we were hoping for.
I agree, that is a lot of office space for only 23 floors and don't there are the residential and retail components as well. A rendering would really help.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:13 PM

Well as my hermaproditic great Aunt and Uncle used to say, you can't win em all.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:19 PM

I'll take it! Any news here is good news. This lot needs to be filled badly.... and if we get the 2100 block and the 2200 block of Market filled in with two 20+ story highrises? I see that as a win.

There's still the PECO lot, the Trader Joe's lot, and build-able lots along JFK Blvd as well.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I'll take it! Any news here is good news. This lot needs to be filled badly.... and if we get the 2100 block and the 2200 block of Market filled in with two 20+ story highrises? I see that as a win.

There's still the PECO lot, the Trader Joe's lot, and build-able lots along JFK Blvd as well.
Totally agree but can't help to be disappointed with the change. Had this been the first proposal, I would be pumped.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:38 PM

Am I reading the first post correctly that the original proposal called for ~250k sq ft of office space. Because this will be one helluva wall of a building if they doubled the office space and cut the height by 200+ ft.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:14 PM

Very confusing and contradictory information. Some time ago it seemed clear that the very interesting and tall first proposal had been downgraded to a squat, nondescript thing that would make a good companion to the former AAA building. There was even a render that someone unearthed from a Brandywine brochure. Then rumors of a taller and/or greater square footage building surfaced. I'm hopeful, but have to think that SY is Brandywine's primary focus for going large.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Am I reading the first post correctly that the original proposal called for ~250k sq ft of office space. Because this will be one helluva wall of a building if they doubled the office space and cut the height by 200+ ft.
The math works out pretty logically: 553,000 divided over 23 floors works out to 24,000 s.f. +/-. The site itself is 0.7 acres (+/- 30,000 s.f.). A typical Market West office floor averages about 25,000 s.f., though some are more like 30k (1818 market, for example). Since residential footprints are typically smaller (it's hard to layout apartments along one corridor on a very wide lot without them feeling deep and dark), it's fair to assume that the office floors will be larger, occupying most or all of the footprint, and then the resi portion would be narrower. Given the numbers quoted in the article, that would be around 10-11 floors of office and then another 11-13 floors of resi. We'll see what they come up with, but this seems like a very reasonable program for a lot this size.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:45 PM

I'm certainly disappointed. I am not at all involved with the project, but just five weeks ago I passed on some information to this forum from people who are. I was assured at the time that the building would be about 40 stories (i.e., conforming to the earlier proposal). They said that the proposal would soon go to the CDR and that construction was anticipated to start in six months -- but that various design alternatives were still being considered. I didn't expect that the winning alternative would be to downscale the building by almost half! I am very sorry to have passed on a rumor about the height that turned out to be false.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
I don't believe they doubled the office space, I believe the article means to say that the retail, office, and residential combined will total 553k SF

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:25 PM

This was always a mixed use building, right? What if something got lost in translation and there’s still a residential component?

Either way, I’m reserving any judgement until we get a rendering.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
This was always a mixed use building, right? What if something got lost in translation and there’s still a residential component?

Either way, I’m reserving any judgement until we get a rendering.
There is still a resi component, always has been.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
There is still a resi component, always has been.
Strategically, I think it's wise to keep the resi component. It's certainly good for us highrise geeks, but also good for them in terms of economics and viability of a project getting off ground.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:56 PM
Future World Dictator

Judging by the fact that they still don't have an anchor tenant for the office portion, I wonder if they thought they had one and/or were close to securing one but that fell apart, hence deciding to downscale the project a lot?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:18 PM

Whelp, update on 20th and Arch office building. Looks like Tenant is from out of state, which is huge because it could open up the possibility of Chubb going to 21st and Market or Schuylkill Yards

Quote:
2000 Arch Street, Parkway Corporation. Robert Zirinsky presenting. Parkway Corporation has a 47 year history in Philadelphia and has 450 employees. This development (a LEED Platinum project) presents a once in a lifetime opportunity. They propose to build an office building for a single tenant who will commit to a 20 year lease. Parkway has held four meetings with near neighbors. The property (the old Avis parking lot) is zoned CMX 4. Parkway needs an-ordinance (not a variance) for an overlay height restriction relief. The historic gas station along 20th Street will be restored, relocated and funded for future maintenance. The new tenant is an out of state corporation; they are asking for no relief for existing signage restrictions. Parkway has entered into an agreement with Walden Walk as of today, to provide them amongst other things a private, funded, buffer outdoor space. They will continue to “mature our design process”. Renderings of the green wall, sky plane (step back) as of right, mechanical shields on top and sight visual impacts on adjacent buildings (Kennedy House) were shown. Numerous questions were asked about construction and delivery hours, solar shade studies and the impact on near by buildings (sight lines). Parkway noted that it will provide constant access (phone numbers) for near neighbors to address construction related issues (no deliveries between 10 pm and 5 am) and that it will enter into an NDA with LSNA. Construction is expected to take 14 months.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...mNlMzIyZjgzNjI

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:25 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Summersm, this is awesome to hear. And for someone to come from outside of PA, that's huge.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Whelp, update on 20th and Arch office building. Looks like Tenant is from out of state, which is huge because it could open up the possibility of Chubb going to 21st and Market or Schuylkill Yards

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...mNlMzIyZjgzNjI
Isn't this entire document from May 2019? Are these updates being posted on it for every thread actually what's happening?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I don't believe they doubled the office space, I believe the article means to say that the retail, office, and residential combined will total 553k SF
Gotcha, that makes more sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals