HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northparkwizard View Post
This proposal replaces Carrier Johnson & Culture's current office building.

It would be really nice to get rid of that parking lot (entire city block) across the street. But no, instead this project demolishes a perfectly bland office building for a larger bland building.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:30 PM
SD/OC

Yep. Would've been much better to get rid of that parking lot, but unfortunately the I guess the parking lot was not for sale. Anyway glad to see that area get more height and density. That corridor has long been a dead zone and hopefully this will help boost activity, albeit residential activity.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:12 PM
Frequent Lurker

I wish they would lid the 5 between Downtown and Bankers Hill, and market it as an arm of Balboa Park. That whole area north of A Street would be so desirable.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:07 AM
Babylon falling

SDFAN : "Great updates. Anyone else notice that 10th & E is directly next to Pinnacles proposed tower? I wonder if that's going to affect whether it gets built or not. We have already seen a proposed project die because another proposal blocked views."

I believe you are referring to a project on Cortez Hill not moving forward, but the "proposed" building that will block its views is still just that a proposal. Do these developers talk to eachother and say "hey are you actually going to build your project or just sit there for years"? Like we have discussed before there are probably about 10 or so sizable "proposals" that have been sitting for 3 or 4 years now. It is so frustrating.

So are you saying this 10th and E would not get built or the Pinnacle would go unbuilt? When are we going to get to the point where it isn't all about views? It should be about the downtown experience and life in SD not just "views". Does San Francisco have this issue or Portland? I doubt it, hell look at Vancouver they have built so much shit that tons of towers that had views 10 years ago don't anymore.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:12 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
I wish they would lid the 5 between Downtown and Bankers Hill, and market it as an arm of Balboa Park. That whole area north of A Street would be so desirable.
Extend it to the 94 and connect Golden Hill and Sherman heights

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:
This has been discussed so many times over the last couple of decades. Here's a nice PBS vide from 2012 which briefly goes over the the pros and cons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Js0yDf5kPM

Short of it is that a freeway cap would be really nice, but extremely expensive for a project that won't generate any major economic benefits and provides an extremely small amount of green space relative to the cost.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:44 PM
Frequent Lurker

The EIR for the Airport expansion is now out for public review:

http://www.san.org/Airport-Projects/...-adp-draft-eir

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:33 AM

Quote:
The EIR for the Airport expansion is now out for public review:

http://www.san.org/Airport-Projects/...-adp-draft-eir
Frikken finally. Just a few notes:

-All the phase 2 projects are very "squishy". Some very basics aspects of the design have yet to be finalized, the cost estimates are all over the place, and the schedules are more of a suggestion than anything. But all this is completely normal for a major infrastructure project over a decade out from initial construction, so take them more as an indicator that after the more concrete phase 1 projects the airport intends on finding some way to link the two terminal together in a more elegant fashion.

-Adding on to the above, the stinger on the west side is facing some major engineering challenges and may or may not happen. There's not a lot of land out there in-between the boat docks and the taxiway, possibly not enough to squeeze in new gates while still maintaining an acceptable passenger experience.

-Likewise, the airport isn't happy about losing gates knocking down terminal 2 east and replacing it with a linear terminal. The alternative of extending the new terminal 1 NE risks creating a bottleneck though, resulting in constant delays. In the end though these deliberations are purely academic, the airport doesn't have the finances to construct these projects within the next decade so there's no need to be super firm when they're just going to make an entire new master plan in ten years anyway.

-The trolley/coaster station is the fuzziest of all, although not for any engineering reasons. The airport is forbidden from spending any of the money it generates outside its property line by federal law, so the whole thing relies on SANDAG putting down the funding for it. And before anyone asks taking ownership away from the airport authority and giving it to anyone else won't change this, otherwise Harbor dr would be looking a heck of a lot nicer from airport investment.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:11 AM

Does anyone know when Pacific Gate's Companion tower is scheduled break ground.[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:28 AM

Does anybody remember the 800 W Broadway (something or other) building that was proposed on that site years ago?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:10 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Does anybody remember the 800 W Broadway (something or other) building that was proposed on that site years ago?
The ugly I.M. Pei building?

I think it was Irvine company or whatever building it

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:44 AM
Category Five

Skyline timeline video I found on Reddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqYZ3aCNyQ

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
The ugly I.M. Pei building?

I think it was Irvine company or whatever building it
Yeah, so glad that boxy thing wasn't built!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:42 AM

Anyone know what's going up in PB, just off the 5 at the Garnet exit? Strange to see a crane on that side of the highway...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:04 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Anyone know what's going up in PB, just off the 5 at the Garnet exit? Strange to see a crane on that side of the highway...
That's likely work for the San Diego Trolley Mid-Coast extension of the Blue Line. The Balboa Avenue station construction site is probably what you're seeing.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:59 PM

https://timesofsandiego.com/business...pacific-beach/

I think this is the construction project that is currently going up (although I haven't noticed it myself, sounds about right based on your description). Carrier Johnson Culture designed it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro View Post

I think this is the construction project that is currently going up (although I haven't noticed it myself, sounds about right based on your description). Carrier Johnson Culture designed it.
I like those a lot! It's about time PB got some new/nice residential like this. Those freeway-facing units better be heavily soundproofed because it's right on the 5.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro View Post

Thanks! That's the project I was referring to.
Nice to see some residential going in along that strip.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:51 AM

^
Although... The article says 172 apartments on that site. That's seems like an awfully small site for that many units, considering there's almost no height involved.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 3:54 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations