HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
But 102 already does that, and it's one block south.
It's about creating a finer-grained road network.

102A from University to Whalley Blvd is to be created. The re-alignment aligns with the existing 102A west of University.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 12:16 AM

Simon Fraser University opens $126M Surrey expansion in sustainable energy

Quote:
Simon Fraser University has expanded its Surrey campus with a new facility dedicated to sustainable energy engineering.

The new building will accommodate 440 new full-time student spaces and 40 faculty and staff in September for the university's new sustainable energy engineering degree program.

The program integrates science, environment and business courses in energy engineering to prepare students to work in clean technology sectors like power generation, and food and water.

The five-storey building, which is around 215,000 square feet and cost $126 million, was officially opened at a ceremony on Thursday. It sits adjacent to the current SFU campus at Surrey's Central City Mall.

It features a 400-seat lecture hall, wet and dry teaching labs and classrooms, study spaces, offices and a bright central atrium space.

The new space means 75 graduate mechatronics students will also relocate into the building.

"This isn't just a building," Melanie Mark, minister of advanced education, skills and training, said in a statement.

"It's an innovation hub where energy engineering students will design solutions for smarter communities, cleaner energy and position B.C. as a global leader in clean tech."

Photo: Ben Nelms/CBC

Photo: Ben Nelms/CBC

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 12:39 AM

What a gorgeous looking building! Hope to see more in the near future.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:48 AM

Yes this building is stunning. A new landmark already.

Some photos from today:

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Yes this building is stunning. A new landmark already.

Some photos from today:

Ugh why do people have to walk on bike paths - it's not as if there aren't any sidewalks around for them!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 8:37 AM

Is there the possibility that SFU can build on top of the airspace here for future expansions (say a rental tower?)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 11:53 AM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Ugh why do people have to walk on bike paths - it's not as if there aren't any sidewalks around for them!
Wow. Relax! They are clearly walking to the cross walk. Also it's not like there aren't bikers riding all the time on sidewalks or roads when there is a bike lane available

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:46 AM

Interesting situation in the rear of the building. They constructed a tiny portion of what will eventually be the 'urban/green lane' running behind SFU and further north and south. The lane includes sidewalk, boulevard, and miniature City Centre style lamp posts. The remainder will be completed once the properties to the west redevelop. The sidewalk, boulevard, lamp posts should at least continue north to Central Ave once Prime completes, but still not enough room to construct any portion of the actual lane pavement.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:31 AM

is that a house next door?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:16 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
is that a house next door?
It's that random quadruplex from the 70's, there used to be many just like it in the area. I think it should stay, turn it into a funky restaurant, retail or something

2009 when it had neighbors and well maintained:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.18978...2!8i6656?dcr=0

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Maybe they were just unaware it was a bike path for whatever reason.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:21 AM

That's the type of photo that would appear on PriceTags (out of context) with "What were they thinking?"

Looks like the sidewalk will continue on when the construction fencing is removed,.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Wow. Relax! They are clearly walking to the cross walk. Also it's not like there aren't bikers riding all the time on sidewalks or roads when there is a bike lane available
In areas that don't have bike paths, bicycles are supposed to be on the road - except that many drivers don't see them and almost sideswipe them (I didn't even bother keeping count it happened so often), and some of the drivers who do see cyclists yell at them to get off the road. If it's a quiet side street I'll stay on the road but if I have to ride on a busy street I'm on the sidewalk as I don't have a death wish - and then pedestrians get after cyclists to get off the sidewalk.

Then there's bike paths. Every time I've ridden on one I've had to play obstacle course with pedestrians who either aren't paying attention or don't care and refuse to move. No matter where a cyclist is riding they're a second class citizen - so yeah I have an issue with people walking on a bike path when there's a sidewalk right there for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Maybe they were just unaware it was a bike path for whatever reason.
I'm sure you can guess how much that doesn't move me. One of the classic times was when I saw a jogger coming towards me so I coasted to a stop and waited in the middle of a bike path. The jogger was so 'in the zone' they didn't notice me until they almost ran into my front tire.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:29 PM

Is this project complete

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:39 AM

Yes

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Interesting situation in the rear of the building. They constructed a tiny portion of what will eventually be the 'urban/green lane' running behind SFU and further north and south. The lane includes sidewalk, boulevard, and miniature City Centre style lamp posts. The remainder will be completed once the properties to the west redevelop. The sidewalk, boulevard, lamp posts should at least continue north to Central Ave once Prime completes, but still not enough room to construct any portion of the actual lane pavement.

Canada's narrowest road?

The pace of change is so rapid in Surrey Central that sometimes the contrasts between the new and old are truly breathtaking.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley