HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 4:36 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What are you using to construct your baseplates with? Is it large plates of 6x8 or so, or smaller 2x8s and such?
I try to follow the way that LEGO does it, using strategically placed 2xwhatever plates on the bottom two layers and only using larger plates on the third layer, just below the 'sidewalk' where many smaller pieces often make up the ground level layer and require a full 'bed of studs'. I tend to build the base from the top down once I know the footprint of the building and how many units it requires. Generally speaking though, I would prefer to use two 2x6's instead of a single 4x6, for example, if it wasn't necessary to have a full large plate. Connecting numerous studs at once is harder than fewer so it's always a balance between ample points of contact and not overdoing it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 10:46 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

I need some feedback - two versions of 432 Park Ave. at 1:500 scale but I can't decide which I like better. The one on the left uses more parts but works better for color contrast - the one on the right uses less parts and I think it works better for form but lacks that color contrast that works well in the other. Both use under 1,000 parts which is a good range for a model this size as far as price point but I really don't know which I like better...I'm leaning towards the one on the left but I'm curious what others think!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 5:48 AM
Meh

I'd go with the one on the left. You're right about the windows adding contrast, but it also looks more complete. Without them, it looks like it's still under construction.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 10:41 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
I'd go with the one on the left. You're right about the windows adding contrast, but it also looks more complete. Without them, it looks like it's still under construction.
I think you're absolutely right. The more I look at the two the more I like the one on the left. It's overall a cleaner build and definitely looked finished as opposed to 'under construction' haha.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 7:37 PM
Meh

It'll be easier to keep clean also. Fewer nooks and crannies for dust to hide.

Do you have any photos or 3D images of the baseplate construction? I've just been using the big 15x15 plates for my models, but I'm wanting something different as I expand it. I've seen some people using bricks to create a base, but that raises the height, which gets into clearance issues for my shelves. I also like the idea of having them be separate to make construction easier.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:21 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
It'll be easier to keep clean also. Fewer nooks and crannies for dust to hide.

Do you have any photos or 3D images of the baseplate construction? I've just been using the big 15x15 plates for my models, but I'm wanting something different as I expand it. I've seen some people using bricks to create a base, but that raises the height, which gets into clearance issues for my shelves. I also like the idea of having them be separate to make construction easier.
Sure, here's a few steps of the base for 432 Park Ave. They're sorta hard to see here but you can view the full size images in my Flickr photostream. I linked to the first in the series, just click the right arrow to go to the rest.

That's how I build up all of my bases for these models - 2x? on the bottom two layers, larger plates for the third layer, then the fourth layer is the 'ground' layer on top of which the building itself sits - the ground layer is usually made up of smaller tiles for the smooth ground and plates anywhere that other parts attach to the base but this three-high structure also allows for some more creative techniques, if need be, for modified plates with clips, hinges, etc at any of the lower layers. This seems to be the standard for many architecture sets - or at least the new Empire State Building model that I'm hoping LEGO continues to use for future sets at the same scale.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 28, 2020 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 6:15 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Here are two more designs in the series - but first, a speed build time lapse of The Pinnacle in which I compare it to my WIP Willis Tower and the official LEGO Empire State Building set.

The Pinnacle LEGO Speed build

Here is the Jin Mao Tower in Shanghai, China. This is a "form over detail" build which forgoes grille tiles for smooth tiles to retain seamless sections and reduce part count. I just couldn't bring myself to have sideways facing grille tiles on the sections that weren't even increments (I've seen others do this).

And next, it's Shun Hing Square in Shenzhen, China! I love the surrounding structure and details on this one. While the tower itself is very cool, the rear building with the colorful elements was a must to include.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Jun 28, 2020 at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 7:37 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Two more designs in my 1:500 scale series!

First is Shanghai Tower in Shanghai, China. This one is a BEAST and took many iterations to get the look just right. The internal structure has Technic flex rods running through various points in order to keep the various sections (attached to one another by pins near their center of mass) in a consistent, even rotation. Then I used a combination of axles and connectors to keep each group of same-sized sections in their orientation relative to the base of the model. That took a long time to figure out as well...

And here is another build that took awhile to acquire pieces - The Burj Khalifa in Dubai, UAE - but I have built this for real and it's 40" high! I've had this one designed for awhile but when I went to order parts, I discovered just how rare 2x2 and 2x4 double slopes were so I had to redesign it to utilize 1x2 30 degree slopes instead, which involved redoing the entire inner structure to provide ample connection points for all of them. In the end though, totally worth it.

I'll be sharing a time-lapse speed build of this one soon.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 6:55 AM
Meh

https://www.kxan.com/news/lego-unvei...r-9000-pieces/
Quote:
(NEXSTAR) — LEGO has unveiled its largest set ever, a recreation of Rome’s most famous landmark, clocking in at a whopping 9,036 pieces.
Video Link

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 12:20 AM

Lego wave

Last edited by Chris Purdon; Dec 5, 2021 at 12:24 AM. Reason: adding credit

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 5:34 PM

Lego Nashville 1:2400

About this time last year, I started working on a 1:2400 scale model of my hometown Nashville for a local LEGO contest! This was my first big model, and I've been keeping it updated since then. The model started out 20 inches wide and 20 inches deep. A few months ago, I ended up expanding it another 5 inches west to include the new Nashville Yards development, which consists of the new Pinnacle Tower, the two residential AEG towers, 3 new Amazon Towers (two of which are already complete) as well as some 30-40 story proposed residential towers. Giarratana is also creating 3 new towers in the same area; the completed Alcove, the under-construction Prime, and what will be Nashville's tallest building when completed, The Paramount.
Yes, the model is very dusty.

A view from Nashville's East Bank of downtown.

A look at the Southwest corner with the Nashville Yards development.

A view from the north, with Capitol Hill in the front right.

Looking at the Honky Tonks on lower Broadway, the AT&T (Batman) Building, and Bridgestone Arena.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 9:01 PM

After my Nashville model from last year, I decided to go for something a tiny bit bigger... 1:2400 Chicago!
Built over the course of the last 2 1/2 months, so far, Chicago measures 10 inches by 20 inches, so it covers about half of the area as my Nashville model. I also took some photos of it with Jeddah Tower and the AT&T Building from Nashville at the same scale.
My hope is to complete another 10inx10in section that includes Willis Tower, and then possibly start work on midtown New York City.

You can see here how Jeddah Tower looms over everything in Chicago, and how Nashville's AT&T building is lost amongst taller buildings.

The model even includes the L on S Wabash ave.

Looking over Millenium park and the Art Institute at Prudential Plaza and AON Center.

Looking at Trump Tower, Marina City, AMA Plaza, and the Wrigley Building.

Looking at the Carbon and Carbide Building, 35 Wacker, and other iconic structures near the river.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art