HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:19 PM
Frequent Lurker

Yes Little Italy is definitely where the investment and people are nowadays. Hopefully East Village can start getting back to where it should be, but the homeless issue is really a deterrent for everyone out there.

Here's a snippet from the Whole Foods article:

Whole Foods Market planned for Front & A skyscraper project in downtown San Diego
BY JENNIFER VAN GROVE
FEB. 21, 2024 11:21 AM PT
Link to Article

Quote:
The high-end grocery tenant is set to take over roughly 50,000 square feet of ground-floor and mezzanine space at the base of the 34-story, residential tower, according to a permit application submitted to the city of San Diego in December.

Holland Partner Group’s Front & A high-rise, which is under construction, is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2026 and is meant to complement the developer’s nearly finished West apartment and office complex just a block away.
Quote:
Front & A is described in architectural plans submitted to the city as a 343-foot-tall tower with commercial space and 450 residential units, 19 of which will be deed-restricted for very low-income families making 50 percent or less of the area median income. The building will have 693 parking spaces — 518 spaces reserved for residents and 175 spaces reserved for shoppers — spread across two levels of underground parking and six levels of above-ground, enclosed parking.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:13 AM

Speaking of East Village… is there any updates on the Tailgate Park development? I know they said groundbreaking wouldn’t commence until late 2024 to late 2025, but I’ve haven’t heard a peep about it in a long time.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 5:13 PM
Cyber Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Yes Little Italy is definitely where the investment and people are nowadays. Hopefully East Village can start getting back to where it should be, but the homeless issue is really a deterrent for everyone out there.
While East Village has more problems and dead areas than Little Italy, I wouldn't say it's very accurate to say that Little Italy is where the investment and people are. It's more of a split especially in terms of investment. There are just as much highrise housing development on both fronts if you look at the past 4-5 years - East Village is just a much larger area so it's not as concentrated. And it's also getting an incredible expensive park and community center - currently under construction. Little Italy definitely has the crowds for their restaurant scene though - no doubt about that.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:11 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW View Post
While East Village has more problems and dead areas than Little Italy, I wouldn't say it's very accurate to say that Little Italy is where the investment and people are. It's more of a split especially in terms of investment. There are just as much highrise housing development on both fronts if you look at the past 4-5 years - East Village is just a much larger area so it's not as concentrated. And it's also getting an incredible expensive park and community center - currently under construction. Little Italy definitely has the crowds for their restaurant scene though - no doubt about that.
Yeah I was referring to the concentration of development in Little Italy. Though even then I think some of those projects in Columbia/Core are being advertised as Little Italy, which skews perceptions a bit.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 5:15 AM

Just wanted to say that The Lindley looks awesome. It with Simone, changes the skyline pretty dramatically when you’re on the 5 going south into downtown (Haven’t driven down there in ages). For the first time, it actually felt like I was driving into a major city.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 7:18 PM
Cyber Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhanson312 View Post
Just wanted to say that The Lindley looks awesome. It with Simone, changes the skyline pretty dramatically when you’re on the 5 going south into downtown (Haven’t driven down there in ages). For the first time, it actually felt like I was driving into a major city.
1st and Beech will probably have the most dramatic impact. It'll only be a bit over 200ft, but it will look more prominent from that angle due to the location. Front and A will also flesh things out even more from that perspective.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:34 PM

The Lindley looks close to topping out soon. Should be working on the 37th floor.

Columbia and A crane is up, foundation might happen soon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Early 2025 for groundbreaking of Ball Park storage? Um I hope that is a typo. This development has been approved for what a year and a half now? I hope it is more like early 2024 to this summer ground breaking. By early 2025 there could be major economic problems with the commercial real estate and banking sectors.

A tall building in that spot will somewhat make up for the absence of 7th and Market for skyline affect. I am still so mad that the Ritz never materialized such a blow to skyline potential and urban impact on that part of DT.

Does anyone find it strange that downtown LA had so many towers built by Chinese money and SD got zero? You would have thought they would look 100 miles south and say oh here is another booming urban zone that is open to highrise development. San Diego must be on their radar with so many of the elites children going to UCSD lol
And Downtown San jose got 4 high rises built by Chinese money.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Early 2025 for groundbreaking of Ball Park storage? Um I hope that is a typo. This development has been approved for what a year and a half now? I hope it is more like early 2024 to this summer ground breaking. By early 2025 there could be major economic problems with the commercial real estate and banking sectors.

A tall building in that spot will somewhat make up for the absence of 7th and Market for skyline affect. I am still so mad that the Ritz never materialized such a blow to skyline potential and urban impact on that part of DT.

Does anyone find it strange that downtown LA had so many towers built by Chinese money and SD got zero? You would have thought they would look 100 miles south and say oh here is another booming urban zone that is open to highrise development. San Diego must be on their radar with so many of the elites children going to UCSD lol
Don't pity this downtown since the Canadian developers and Holland Partner fell in love with your downtown and put so much money investing and building in your downtown. I wish Downtown SJ would get some love from the Canadian developers. They build towers regardless of the costs and market conditions. Downtown San Jose got some development from different developers from England, China, LA, locals and perhaps Westbank from Vancouver which is now rehabbing the landmark Bank of Italy building. Since Dt. SJ has fewer development than your downtown, it has been creative by adding a lot of cool entertainment, nightlife, art and murals. It also focused on mid rises to fill out the downtown, and it's working nicely since it's the second or third most recovered downtown in the country. You guys should consider your downtown is so lucky to have these Canadian and Pacific Northwest developers as your downtown's best partner; otherwise, say "hello to 1978 downtown again." Most other downtowns are not as lucky as your downtown in terms of seeing quite a few high rises getting underway in the middle of the downturn for real estate nationwide.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 6:48 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekrid View Post
The Lindley looks close to topping out soon. Should be working on the 37th floor.
This shot makes it look like the Lindley has a slight taper. I like it but I'm pretty sure it's just the camera lens.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
This shot makes it look like the Lindley has a slight taper. I like it but I'm pretty sure it's just the camera lens.
It's just the perspective.
Also anybody have any idea what's goin on at 5th/Ash. Parking lot has been torn up and looks like they are driving piles down, far more work than I'd expect for a simple lot repavement. No info online.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekrid View Post
It's just the perspective.
Also anybody have any idea what's goin on at 5th/Ash. Parking lot has been torn up and looks like they are driving piles down, far more work than I'd expect for a simple lot repavement. No info online.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ns-cortez-hill

New Hotel

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations