HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:47 PM

SO, Just got called a Trudeau Loving commie, After I helped a houseless guy up off the street after he tripped. The guy calling me that. A local evangelical street preacher, who saw the guy fall. and After I refused to take his pamphlets when I passed him.

God I love your new Christianity.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
SO, Just got called a Trudeau Loving commie, After I helped a houseless guy up off the street after he tripped. The guy calling me that. A local evangelical street preacher, who saw the guy fall. and After I refused to take his pamphlets when I passed him.

"It was God's plan for him to trip"

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
A group protested something they something disagree, as they are legally allowed to do, so that means they would've gone along with Hitler?

Apparently "F*** Truduea" flags are equivalent to a Swastika? What is wrong with you
You are the person that first suggested that people like me would go along with Hitler. What do you expect as a reply?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24;9656169

[B
Yes, [/B]it is 100% okay for people to display their political opinions publicly if they so wish. Is it brash and disagreeable? Sure.
Surely being disagreeable is at least some percent not okay.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:12 PM

Quote:
A group protested something they something disagree, as they are legally allowed to do, so that means they would've gone along with Hitler?

Apparently "F*** Truduea" flags are equivalent to a Swastika? What is wrong with you
Jeez, I wouldn't want to be a strawman around you.

It's almost like you're the Hitler of attacking strawmen.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post

It does seem to me that stuff like this seems to be on the upswing lately.

And the economy is still doing pretty well - for the moment.

The French refer to it as "incivilité" and it's actually a big factor that is propelling the rise of right-wing parties there.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm sorry but I feel no sympathy for the cretins walking around wearing F Trudeau hats or organizing so-called "Trucker convoys" or whatever.

The people engaged in that sort of thing are going out of their way to be as obnoxious as possible and I do not owe them any sort of deference. If someone is going to be a total jerk then they shouldn't be surprised if someone calls them out.
"Sympathy" and "deference" are not synonyms of tolerance. Neither is "acceptance" in fact.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It does seem to me that stuff like this seems to be on the upswing lately.

And the economy is still doing pretty well - for the moment.

The French refer to it as "incivilité" and it's actually a big factor that is propelling the rise of right-wing parties there.
Perhaps the rise of right-wing parties is the reason why we are witnessing so much more "incivilité"

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Surely being disagreeable is at least some percent not okay.
Surely that depends on the context. There are some contexts where being disagreeable is perfectly OK, no?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, yes. Hence Bill 21.
My observation is that the proponents of Bill 21 aren't generally those who see "tolerance" as this ideal that they need to aspire to.

I know it's high on the list of Canadian values, but it does not appear on this page for example:

https://www.quebec.ca/en/immigration...bec/key-values

Now, I don't happen to think this is hopelessly irreconcilable with Canadian values, though it's still noteworthy that tolerance isn't there. Whereas I would guess that for ROCers if they were polled it would be among the most common answers and definitely a "must" on this type of list.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Perhaps the rise of right-wing parties is the reason why we are witnessing so much more "incivilité"
Seems like a rather simplistic take on very complex, multi-faceted phenomena.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Seems like a rather simplistic take on very complex, multi-faceted phenomena.
I don't feel like writing a research paper on the causes of this complex, multifaceted phenomena. A lot of it does, however, boil down to a sense of entitlement and deep resentment at the changing cultural landscape of Canada, masquerading as outrage at Covid restrictions.

As George Carlin once said: "People are fucking nuts. This country is full of nitwits and assholes. You ever notice that? Nitwits, assholes, fuckups, scumbags, jerkoffs, and dipshits. And they all vote. In fact, sometimes you get the impression that they’re the only ones who vote."

What I really need to do more often is to follow the sage advice of Robert Sutton, when he said: "Not giving a shit takes the wind out of an asshole's sails."

Being deliberately obtuse is the simplest way of reducing cognitive dissonance. It is easy to come to a desired conclusion if you are allowed to tailor the premises to your needs. Your comment brings to mind the German expression: Recht kriegen ist besser als Recht haben
This old German adage can be rendered as "It is better to win an argument than to be right."

What drives contrarians to go against the grain so resolutely? Some are skeptics who have been burned by conventional ideas. Others use defiance to get attention. But many are looking to establish their own identities as distinct from a larger group. Contrarians also tend to have an unusually strong sense of certainty that emboldens them to air their unpopular opinions. Running counter to established norms can sometimes backfire, however, when it comes to navigating interpersonal situations. Contrarians are not concerned about social graces.

Sounds familiar.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:48 PM

When I see a F@CK Trudeau sticker on a car or truck I emmediatly assume the person who's vehicle it is must have a lower then average IQ. I also assume they love Trump and wish Canada was more American.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I feel like we're once again getting into: "You're an evil person because you don't hate these guys passionately enough. Prove to me how much you hate them, and then I might take back what I said about you being evil."

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
I feel like we're once again getting into: "You're an evil person because you don't hate these guys passionately enough. Prove to me how much you hate them, and then I might take back what I said about you being evil."
+1. Do I agree with a lot of what they say/do? No.

Do I think we should be treating them as sub-humans as many on this forum seem to do? Also no.

But apparently that makes me a supporter/defender of neo-Nazis

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 6:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I feel like you and some others have conveniently overlooked the underlying objection being leveled at some of us here: "You're an evil person because you passionately criticized these deplorable individuals"

You really like to do this sort of thing. You do the same thing with anyone complaining about racism or misogyny (but come out swinging if anyone dares to say something even remotely derogatory towards Quebecois or the Quebec government). Classic example of blaming the victim.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
+1. Do I agree with a lot of what they say/do? No.

Do I think we should be treating them as sub-humans as many on this forum seem to do? Also no.

But apparently that makes me a supporter/defender of neo-Nazis
I find we are more concerned with socio-political aesthetics these days. So truck nuts and MAGA flags generate substantially more outrage than stuff like this:

https://www.thestar.com/local-richmo...y-suicide.html

I actually can't believe the guy who did this was paroled after just five years. Apparently he will be able to drive again before too long as well.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I feel like you and some others have conveniently overlooked the underlying objection being leveled at some of us here: "You're an evil person because you passionately criticized these deplorable individuals"

That definitely wasn't me, though since you're asking... there are some people on here who are tad... obsessive... when it comes to these MAGA truck nut types.

When I consider that they likely have very little direct impact on any of our lives at this point.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

You really like to do this sort of thing. You do the same thing with anyone complaining about racism or misogyny .
Not really. The main difference between me and many people on here is that I don't consider these markers as virtue triggers that automatically make the people invoking them "right" in all circumstances, and the other party involved automatically "wrong".

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 9:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
(but come out swinging if anyone dares to say something even remotely derogatory towards Quebecois or the Quebec government)..
I don't think Québécois (a diverse identifiable group of millions of people) should be spoken of in derogatory terms any more than any other group that in 2022 one can't speak ill of collectively.

Obviously people are free to criticize the province's government but as we all know "Quebec" or even the "Quebec government" is a code word for Québécois people in general, or even French Canadians, in more than a few circles. So things often easily dovetail in that way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada