HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 3:07 AM

so is that your house?? hmm....interesting indeed. well, could be worse!! could be covered with dirty bathroom tiles or be grey concrete with pigeon coops on the roof!!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 8:06 AM

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 8:18 AM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 5:24 AM

http://www.archdaily.com/493754/hual...g-project-yet/

Hualien Residences: BIG’s Most Mountainous Housing Project Yet?

Quote:
Bjarke Ingels Group has unveiled their latest – and certainly greenest – “mountainous” housing project (for previous examples, see: Mountain Dwelling and 8 House). Although still in progress, Hualien Residences, a beach resort housing complex in Taiwan, will consist of green “landscape stripes” that resemble mountains themselves. The project, which incorporates walking paths, underground jogging paths, and an observation point, has already been recognized as a finalist in the 2014 MIPIM awards for its use of design to encourage healthy, active lifestyles for the complex’s primarily older residents.
taiwan needs more bold and innovative architecture like this. very appropriate to taiwan's mountainous environment and topography. i do wonder how they'll keep people especially kids from climbing on the roofs and sliding down the lawns. you never know with some (crazy) people!

it's a finalist for a design award as well:

http://www.opp-connect.com/30/01/201...ists-unveiled/

BEST FUTURA PROJECT
Hualien Residences, in Hualien, Taiwan
Architect: BIG – Bjarke Ingels Group. Developer: Taiwan Land Development Corporation

Last edited by kalifese; Apr 8, 2014 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:15 AM

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/how-a-smal...067821.article
Mole Architecture, a small Cambridge practice, is designing an entire resort in Taiwan. Principal Meredith Bowles on a risk that paid off

Meredith Bowles, principal of Mole Architecture
Meredith Bowles, principal of Mole Architecture
I’ve just touched down from Taipei where I gave a lecture on our new scheme in Taiwan, a 70,000sq m hill-top eco village. How did a small practice in Cambridge end up designing a large-scale luxury resort in Asia?

Our previous built work was mostly houses, and the largest project nothing like the size of this scheme. It started in 2010 when we were invited to design a villa in the same resort; the chairman’s daughter lived in Cambridge and had seen what we had built first hand.

I worked in Taiwan many years ago and I saw this as a great opportunity to return to the country. Given the scope of the project I suggested that I team up with architect Gianni Botsford, and convinced the client, a large-scale land owning developer, that a series of villas by the two of us would make our involvement more worthwhile.

Speaking a bit of Mandarin helped, but what really convinced the chairman was our genuine enthusiasm and interest in Hakka architecture. Taiwan has a few historic houses left - principally open-courtyard brick houses, with complex spacial hierarchies; a very different order from our understanding of space. We travelled a lot, visited buildings, and ate a lot of Hakka food with the chairman.

Fast forward four years and Gianni and I were invited to give a public lecture on the scheme as part of a series of talks celebrating the company’s 25 years. Speaking in the same lecture series as Kengo Kuma and Bjarke Ingels, who are also employed by the developer, we turned out to be quite a draw. Despite coinciding with anti-government protests, our lecture attracted an audience of 1,300 people.

This whole experience has has shown us how the Taiwanese are eager to be part of a world stage, and to transform their cities with architecture. Both central and local governments have run design competitions for landmark buildings and our client is forward-thinking in seeing the value that good architecture can bring, employing foreign architects as a way to engage with an international culture and bring something new and fresh to their own country. Clearly they think this has a tangible financial value too.

We later discovered from the chairman, after he’d entrusted us with the re-design of his whole project, that he had been through six architects already – from Japan, the USA, Hong Kong and the UK. He was certainly willing to take a risk with us - two small practices on the other side of the world - in a way that is unthinkable in the UK.

I’m wary of approaches from potential clients in foreign countries with an offer that sounds too good to be true. We’ve had a few that have come to nothing despite quite a lot of investment on our part. But saying yes is the first step to finding out, without which we’d never have got the job in Taiwan at all.

We learnt on this trip that Kengo Kuma is to design one of the villas that we went out three years ago to pitch for, alongside those that we’ve already designed. You never quite know where a lead might end.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 9:39 PM

taichung's cranking out some nice residential complexes. nothing really spectacular, but just more modern architecture and glass towers. this one was designed by a FOREIGN architect.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 7:20 AM

http://www.dezeen.com/2015/11/05/big...resort-taiwan/

BIG's mountain-shaped resort in Taiwan is aimed at retired holidaymakers from China

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:31 AM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
In the past, I used to think they better demolish this building and make high-rise building on the same site.

But now I think we will lose our city identification if we do that. It is the cultural and architecture icon of Taipei. Why it is so ugly? I believe it is because Taiwan railway do poor maintenace job for it. They don't clean it for dacades until now. So I really like your comment on the way to improve. It just need to clean its surface (roof, external wall) and take that sign on the roof away.

I would like to make addition on this proposed idea. It is important for them to renovate station plaza which infront of Taipei Main. It is too much concrete and stone, it need more green stuffs! Also, they need to renovate pedestrain path surround station.
I want to bring this post up from 7 years ago. Looks like our dreams came true

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan