HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 10:15 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Not to bring booze back into the convo, but... rum and nog.

And skating (preferably outdoors), fires, walking in the evening with lightly-falling snow, food (good lord the food!), and of course the opening of presents on Christmas morning (especially if there are young children in the family, I love seeing their excitement).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 4:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Oh boy! Let me think...

-Going for an evening walk downtown with that special someone. And ending that walk with a coffee at Coffee & Co. Or at Rocket if you're feeling super adventurous.
-Sledding at Victoria Park.
-Going to CBTG's on a weeknight to listen to some local band without having to endure the huge crowd.
-Slamming back drinks at Christians Pub (the upstairs bar, not the downstairs).
-Walking the Rennie's River trail.
Wow you mentioned CB's, so strange, most people I know refuse to even acknowledge the place exists. Love it there though, the only place where even the wierd don't feel that wierd.

Anyhow I love the trails in the city mostly. The there isn't much else without drinking/spending alot of money.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Wow you mentioned CB's, so strange, most people I know refuse to even acknowledge the place exists. Love it there though, the only place where even the wierd don't feel that wierd.

Anyhow I love the trails in the city mostly. The there isn't much else without drinking/spending alot of money.
"where even the weird don't feel that weird"

I love that quote.. I'm surprised that there are many people that go to George St for years and don't even know about the Deck, but I guess that's what makes it so special. I could care less about 99% of the bars on the main George St. The Levee (since it changed from Roxxy's) and CBTG's were/are my main stays when I lived in town, some of the best music in Canada can be heard there any night of the week, and like you said lots of characters, or weird people, man I miss the deck!!!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 3:59 PM
BANNED

I've never been to St. John's before, but am making it a goal to visit within a decade, at least.

What is/are the name(s) of the gay club(s) in St. John's?

I'd definitely hit those up a couple times if I were in the city. Out of all of my gay friends, I haven't any that are directing plans away from their ultimate goals of going to Toronto or Montreal, but I do have 'straight' guy friends, who are into effeminate twinks, who want to travel with me to St. John's.

I also have straight guy friends who aren't into guys at all, but absolutely love the incredible ego boost they get by knowing that so many men are falling for them (as it causes my friends to believe they're the best of both worlds ). They'd travel to St. John's with me, too!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 5:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Velvet is, as far as I know, the only officially gay bar but St. John's is very tolerant. I wouldn't make out with a guy at a sports bar at 2 a.m. but, you know... guys dancing together at any of the straight dance clubs wouldn't be a problem.

Velvet's interesting in that it's the newest gay club (successor to Zone 216) but it seems to have caused gays in St. John's to self-segregate a bit. Before, there were gay men who went to the bar and men who didn't, who were completely blended into mainstream society, who went with their boyfriends and straight friends to straight bars, etc.

Velvet seems to have attracted absolutely everybody. I've heard from several friends you see people there you'd never have laid eyes on in the Zone.

Aqua Restaurant and Bar is a great hang-out.

Liquid Ice (after-hours club) has a mostly gay clientelle.

And there are a bunch of gay-friendly B&Bs and the like.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 5:55 PM

Club V is also a popular place for gay clientele but the place is a little on the sketchy side. I had a girl hit on me there and then tell me about how she was stabbed outside the club a few weeks earlier and was waiting on an HIV test. Not a great way to try and hook up with someone.

Velvet seems to be popular, but any club or pub would be fine enough. People are pretty tolerant

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:48 PM

Velevet is the official watering ground
like they said everywhere is very tolerant

gay friendly and hotspots outside velevet are
club v
Martini bar
dusk

and pretty well anywhere you can dance with the same sex normally .. however to meet people Velvet is the main one

lots of very gay popular cafes too

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 8:46 PM

I like to go to club V it's a nice place just as long as you dont get in fights with people lol and it's 3 for $5 untill 12:30 or 1am

Club V:

It has a glass floor between the upstairs which is live music and downstairs is a dancefloor

Then we usually head to velvet

Velvet has events every friday night, so you should keep your eye on what's happening

Velvet:

Then if you wanna be somewhere thats open till 6 you can go to Liquid which is a really sketchy place .. but fun if you dont mind ignoring pill heads

The lights at liquid are nice

here's velvet on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2083...12632/?fref=ts

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 9:51 PM

^ Funny that all three of these bars are owned by the same person.

Speaking of Liquid, I nominate the outside of that place for the ugliest building in the city.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
The lights at liquid are nice
Very impressive!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
Velvet is, as far as I know, the only officially gay bar but St. John's is very tolerant. I wouldn't make out with a guy at a sports bar at 2 a.m. but, you know... guys dancing together at any of the straight dance clubs wouldn't be a problem.
I wouldn't be too worried about anything. Even if I were at a bar where men and women were openly affectionate toward each other, I'd feel free to do the same with a guy.

And if anyone has a problem with that, I have enough fighting skills to... neutralise their objections... That -- and I'd have my straight boys at the same bar with me, half of whom are tall black guys.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about anything. Even if I were at a bar where men and women were openly affectionate toward each other, I'd feel free to do the same with a guy.

And if anyone has a problem with that, I have enough fighting skills to... neutralise their objections... That -- and I'd have my straight boys at the same bar with me, half of whom are tall black guys.
lol I don't think you would have a problem with that here
It is a suprisingly open place and it is now just a part of everyday life for everyone. Een a friend of mine from Ottawa said once when we are at a club that st. john's is more open than Ottawa for this stuff

I think its a "to each their oen" attitude in the culture

When are you planning on coming? and what city do you live in now?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:29 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Not to sound like a huge perv or anything, but I've always thought this while in there (and had conversations with my female pals about it...)

How many girls in skirts do you think get "surprised" by the Club V Floor? How many dudes hang out below it looking up?

I've only been to Club V a handful of times so I've never really been able to observe / test my thoughts.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
lol I don't think you would have a problem with that here
It is a suprisingly open place and it is now just a part of everyday life for everyone. Een a friend of mine from Ottawa said once when we are at a club that st. john's is more open than Ottawa for this stuff

I think its a "to each their oen" attitude in the culture

When are you planning on coming? and what city do you live in now?
Yeah st john`s really is pretty good with that, our cultural is for better or worst is unable to put restrictions on those around them.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Not to sound like a huge perv or anything, but I've always thought this while in there (and had conversations with my female pals about it...)

How many girls in skirts do you think get "surprised" by the Club V Floor? How many dudes hang out below it looking up?

I've only been to Club V a handful of times so I've never really been able to observe / test my thoughts.
I think security is keeping an eye on any pervy actions

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's