HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:00 PM

They aren't the best design in the world but at least its better than the swanky old strip mall that use to be there. It is Newfoundland Drive so I wouldn't have expected anything super high end in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post
Total shame about the Virginia Park Plaza condos. Harbourside looks great - nolanhall do good work. Would love to see that area developed finally (:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Here's a billboard at the foot of Temperance Street where the Nolan Hall Hotel/condo development was suppose to go. I think that particular project is dead now. This is what is being proposed for the site now. Looks nice. Too bad the 4 sisters stone houses across the street are in such disrepair. They would make nice condos too if they were purchased by someone decent and restore to full glory.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...51338363_o.jpg

MLS listing for Harbourside.

Prices ranging from 337,000 to 1.65 million

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...rtyId=14905246

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
They aren't the best design in the world but at least its better than the swanky old strip mall that use to be there. It is Newfoundland Drive so I wouldn't have expected anything super high end in that area.
True, but we should expect better even at the mid, low end. They're in the same price range as the Sundara on Blackmarsh Road for example, which, IMO, have better curb appeal. It's the placement of the buildings that rots me.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
here are a few drive by shots of Hebron Way

Man this building is ugly! Who's designing this stuff? Imagine what it will look like in 20 years... ick.

Ron.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:21 PM

There's far worse looking buildings down that way than that one. Not expecting anything architecturally stimulating in a retail/industrial park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Man this building is ugly! Who's designing this stuff? Imagine what it will look like in 20 years... ick.

Ron.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:44 PM

Was down Hebron Way the other day and noticed that there are several construction trailers at the Cineplex Theatres site. So hopefully that project will get under way soon.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 2:32 AM

The theatre is cancelled, from what I've heard.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The theatre is cancelled, from what I've heard.
Sadly, I think that is true. I heard that what is going there is some small retail. No idea what, but will keep ears and eyes open.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 2:41 PM

The original Empire Theatres proposal was cancelled. Don't know if another proposal was put in by Cineplex.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:47 PM

When the Empire Theatre buy-out was announced, they said they were committed to the new theatre complex. Since then, Cineplex have said that theatre attendance has declined all across the country. Was thinking that meant a delay not cancellation.

In the meantime, the Cineplex theatres here are being rebranded to ScotiaBank Theatre as a result of a naming rights purchase.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:26 PM

Either way, there seems to be something started at that site with all the construction trailers there. I would not be surprised if it was cancelled either though. But I would be surprised if the media didn't report on it if was cancelled. Seems to be kinda newsworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The original Empire Theatres proposal was cancelled. Don't know if another proposal was put in by Cineplex.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:43 PM

Here is the official name change announcement for the Avalon Mall Theatres

http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/_att/...ohns-FINAL.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
When the Empire Theatre buy-out was announced, they said they were committed to the new theatre complex. Since then, Cineplex have said that theatre attendance has declined all across the country. Was thinking that meant a delay not cancellation.

In the meantime, the Cineplex theatres here are being rebranded to ScotiaBank Theatre as a result of a naming rights purchase.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 7:30 PM

Anyone know the street numbers for the proposed Theatre complex? There's been no building permit issued that I can see for a theatre. There's construction permits for
10 (restaurant), 18 (retail store) and 25 (retail store) Hebron Way; Ctire is #10, Starbucks is # 12, 15 is Flower Stud.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 5:34 PM

I was wondering about the Hebron Way Extension to Major's Path. There was a tender awarded in Dec 2013 to get this completed. Looking at Google Maps, I don't see how there is enough room between the airport fence and the few trailer homes that are there to get a road through comfortably. Either the airport fence has to be moved or those few trailer homes. Thoughts?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
I was wondering about the Hebron Way Extension to Major's Path. There was a tender awarded in Dec 2013 to get this completed. Looking at Google Maps, I don't see how there is enough room between the airport fence and the few trailer homes that are there to get a road through comfortably. Either the airport fence has to be moved or those few trailer homes. Thoughts?
You need about 8 m for a two-lane road, plus 3 m or so for each additional lane, and ideally at least 2 m per sidewalk. Using Google Earth, I measure 22 m from the end of Carolyn Drive to the airport fence, so there's plenty of space. Do you know if the tender documents are available online anywhere? I thought I came up with the idea of extending Hebron Way to Major's Path, so it would be interesting to see them.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
You need about 8 m for a two-lane road, plus 3 m or so for each additional lane, and ideally at least 2 m per sidewalk. Using Google Earth, I measure 22 m from the end of Carolyn Drive to the airport fence, so there's plenty of space. Do you know if the tender documents are available online anywhere? I thought I came up with the idea of extending Hebron Way to Major's Path, so it would be interesting to see them.
I recall seeing the Hebron Way to Majors Path road on the initial plans for the Field Power centre, showing its route from the roundabout to Majors Path. It was a tight squeeze but it was there on the plans. That should really help with the congestion at the Torbay Rd/Majors Path intersection.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
Council Agenda Monday, December 9, 2013

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...02013%2520.pdf

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:33 PM

The steel is going up pretty quickly for that new condo on Newfoundland Dr. At least this one will be solid, steel and concrete, unlike so many other wooden frame ones that have gone up lately. I think we all agree it isn't exactly pretty but hopefully they can sell.

Last edited by Horsell; Nov 25, 2014 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 10:20 PM

Chelsea Place, Luxury apartment building is now open in Pleasentville.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 10:23 PM

The Airport Holiday Inn Express is moving along quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's