HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
What the Wildrose Party needs to do is not demonstrate that they aren't just a protest party, but that they aren't merely the ugly carcass of the Social Credit party being hobbled together. That means purging the Byfield family and the like from dictating the party's social policy.
But isn't that exactly what they are? I would prefer their members be as vocal as possible, because the last thing we need is an insane fringe party faking being normal long enough to get elected.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:38 AM

PCs win in all four ridings. Time for some soul searching in the collective left, and the right.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:32 PM
HVAC guru

The only decisive win I see in the four contests is Calgary Foothills. In Elbow the PC's only garnered 33% of the popular vote, Calgary West was a virtual tie between PC and WRP, and given how popular Dave Hancock was in Edmonton Whitemud, Mandel's capture of only 42% is not a great showing for that riding.

Pundits' calling for "soul searching" on behalf of the other parties after these results are being lazy, not recognizing that these results are not a good showing for the PC's

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:50 PM

Yeah...I think moving forward for everyone it will be a lot about promotion and leveraging the types of success that were achieved.

PC - Sell the results as a sign that they are still well ahead, and that the Wildrose is not destined to make any more inroads. Keep selling themselves as the only non crazy alternative on the right, or the only alternative in the centre with a chance of winning.

AP - If they can seel themselves as a real alternative with a chance of winning based on their success in Calgary-Elbow, I think they could do well. Not only snap up votes of Liberals, but even some of the more centrist PC voters that are getting fed up.

NDP - While still a ways behind, a decent showing in Edmonton Whitemud (not a central riding), against the former Mayor? Not really a terrible failure.

Liberals - Maybe some soul searching in order here...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
The only decisive win I see in the four contests is Calgary Foothills. In Elbow the PC's only garnered 33% of the popular vote, Calgary West was a virtual tie between PC and WRP, and given how popular Dave Hancock was in Edmonton Whitemud, Mandel's capture of only 42% is not a great showing for that riding.

Pundits' calling for "soul searching" on behalf of the other parties after these results are being lazy, not recognizing that these results are not a good showing for the PC's
The only thing that counts in the end is a win. Soul searching over not running up the total? Forget it. If the Wildrose can't win in suburbia, with a star candidate, against an unknown quantity, where can they? If they can't win a riding like west, it is pretty nearly impossible to form government.

Can they really expected to be accorded the status of a government in waiting on the ascent for the next 18 months? I don't really think so.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The only thing that counts in the end is a win. Soul searching over not running up the total? Forget it. If the Wildrose can't win in suburbia, with a star candidate, against an unknown quantity, where can they? If they can't win a riding like west, it is pretty nearly impossible to form government.

Can they really expected to be accorded the status of a government in waiting on the ascent for the next 18 months? I don't really think so.
Not to mention that it's usually easier for an opposition party to win a by-election than a real one, in that voters can safely put down protest votes knowing that it wont change who is in government.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 10:57 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Wildrose MLA Joe Anglin walks away from the Wildrose Party.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...dent-1.2821248

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 6:56 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Just noticed this story. A couple days late for me.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-all-1.2836745

Quote:
Party members voted 148-109 against adopting as policy a statement approved last year that affirmed the rights for everyone regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, and other differences.

Instead, the party voted to go with the current policy definition, which broadly promises to "recognize that Albertans have equal rights, privileges and responsibilities."

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:34 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I heard some comments that the more specific one was rejected because they were worried they'd miss some group, whereas the approved one is all encompassing. Although that makes sense, not sure if that's just an excuse that has been created.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:40 PM

No matter whether it is good or bad the optics make it look like the WR is quite regressive. At least that is the spin its getting. And I am sure Danny was swearing in the back rooms.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I heard some comments that the more specific one was rejected because they were worried they'd miss some group, whereas the approved one is all encompassing. Although that makes sense, not sure if that's just an excuse that has been created.
It is spin since last year party leadership specifically pushed and has passed a special resolution with the proposed wording that was rejected this past weekend. If it was an accomplishment last year, why would it not have been all weekend?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 10:20 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The decision is causing some to walk away from the party.

Quote:
The parent of a LBGT son has resigned from the board of the Wildrose Party's Calgary-Glenmore Association over the party’s actions on rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Albertans.

Terrence Lo — who describes himself as Asian, atheist and the parent of an LBGT son — writes in a letter that he is resigning from the party and from his position as vice-president of communications with the Calgary-Glenmore Association.
CBC News

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 9:59 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Two more MLAs leave the Wildrose, crossing the floor to the Tories.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ries-1.2847378

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia