HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 4:54 AM

Coquihalla Highway

Hope you don't mind me creating a new thread for the notorious Coquihalla Highway (BC Highway 5). It is a major British Columbian highway well-known for its furious winter blizzards and it's the only highway in Canada to have its own reality tv show.

Video Link

In summer weather it's the most relaxing and un-eventful highway to drive with no problem of keeping up with the 110km/h speed limit.

In winter it is a different story. Whereas before Hope the weather can be like this...

...up Coquihalla Highway it may looks like this.

Still not bad, however when a winter blizzard strikers, it strikes fast and with force. The below change in weather and driving conditions occurred two weeks ago in just 10 kilometres around the Coquihalla Summit (1244m). Not a nice weather to be on this road I can tell you and I am happy to drive 4WD car with proper winter tires!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 5:40 PM

I love the Coq. Only ever had 2 seriously sketchy winter experiences on it out of the dozens of times I've travelled the route. Guess I'm lucky. That said, it is a better drive to do in the summer.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 7:07 PM

Is it still closed from the avalanche? I would love to go and see the huge snow banks, but if I remember correctly there is no way to turn around any time soon after Coquihalla Summit, so it would end up being quite a drive from Vancouver...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Is it still closed from the avalanche? I would love to go and see the huge snow banks, but if I remember correctly there is no way to turn around any time soon after Coquihalla Summit, so it would end up being quite a drive from Vancouver...
I seam to remember a couple of turn-around points at rest stops etc. No?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
IIRC there are turn around points past the summit, but they are more spread out than the initial few just out of Hope.

Not sure about the Avalanche, my next trip through isn't scheduled until mid-march, and I hope most the snow is gone by then. Hauling horses up the Coq is a terrible experience on the best of days.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:59 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia