HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 8:04 PM
Tucsonan

Not Huge News... but I'm not surprised that the rent for the spot is going up, I'm sure many people have been eyeing this spot for something to really solidify 5th and Congress. Tavern doesn't really fit into that blocks "demographic" as the owner touches on in the article. Another great restaurant would be great, but I'm also hoping for some sort of Retail to balance the block out, I guess we will see in a year.

Downtown's District Tavern Looking to Relocate in 2015

Photo courtesy of The District Tavern Facebook page.

District Tavern owner Noël Chester tells The Range this afternoon that the downtown tavern will celebrate its 10th anniversary by relocating in 2015 after she learned that her rent would be going up next year.

Chester said that she couldn't justify paying $28 a square foot for an establishment that lacks air conditioning, water pressure and a walk-in freezer. The bar suffered a 30 percent decrease in business since the closing of Fourth Avenue underpass, fencing down East Congress for the streetcar construction that began in 2012.

But she's still profitable and hopes to continue to be successful somewhere in South Tucson, where rents are lower.

"I'm in the black and I'm blessed," Chester said.

Chester has expressed unhappiness with the city and foreseen the day would have to relocate.

Chester says establishments like The District, that cater to a certain demographic downtown, are being "systematically decimated."

The building is owned by Scott Stiteler, who did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange...locate-in-2015

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 8:10 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthom3000 View Post
Looks like Yard House is going in at Park Mall where Z Gallerie used to be.
Haven't heard of the Restaurant but I'm really glad Park Place is getting a new sit down restaurant, its definitely needed and I think will energize the streetscape area of the Mall. It should also be noted that near Park Place on Broadway is another restaurant being constructed called Longhorn Steakhouse. both of these are each of the companies first restaurants for the Tucson region, which speaks well of Tucson I think.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
Not Huge News... but I'm not surprised that the rent for the spot is going up, I'm sure many people have been eyeing this spot for something to really solidify 5th and Congress. Tavern doesn't really fit into that blocks "demographic" as the owner touches on in the article. Another great restaurant would be great, but I'm also hoping for some sort of Retail to balance the block out, I guess we will see in a year.
I had heard from some pretty direct sources that the rent increase was strategic for the exact reasons you outline.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthom3000 View Post
Looks like Yard House is going in at Park Mall where Z Gallerie used to be.
Pretty exciting news for Park Place. I'm kind of surprised Yard House didn't look for a more central location - they have locations in many downtowns, not that I necessarily want that here - but malls are also common for them.

EDIT - On a side note, Yard House is owned by Darden who also own Longhorn Steakhouse, which is going up across the street from Park Place.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 4:22 PM

If anyone has ventured to the Univ. of Phx Stadium or Glendale Arena for some sports or concerts...the Yardhouse is featured in the Westgate Entertainment Distrct.

Glad to have one here in Tucson.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 4:25 PM

...and to catch up on a previous post:

I LOVE POTBELLY'S!!! When I visit east, I always reserve one lunch meal at Potbelly's. I was introduced to it in Washington, D.C. I've since eaten there while in NYC and Chicago. My wife loved it. Can't wait.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 4:35 AM
Tucsonan

continuing on the restaurant discussion... When will Pizzeria Bianco finally open? last i heard was february but still don't think theres been an official date?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 8:11 PM

Downtown Tucson poised for $100 million in 2014 new business development

I think this has been stated before in a different interview, but here's a more recent article.

This paragraph caught my eye:

According to Keith, "The frenetic pace of new business development parallels the commitment by Cox and others that have supported the unprecedented investment along the Modern Streetcar corridor. There is a new emerging workforce in an urban center that is demanding faster data and expanded phone and video services, and Cox made an enormous capital investment to provide that service." He points to five new restaurants and clubs, new retail, a new boutique hotel, a 44-room luxury apartment building and a 300+ multifamily complex opening on the west side planned for early this year as evidence of the renaissance for which Cox Business helped lay the foundation.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 12:07 AM

New plans for UA Tech Park

http://azstarnet.com/business/local/...8b3d0539a.html

Project leaders of UA Tech parks are reinventing as well as revising their efforts for building a more successful strategy to lure tech companies to the parks. Leaders will name their project simply as Tech Park Arizona . As we know we have two parks, one called UA Tech Park (which houses companies like raytheon and IBM) and UA biosciences park (which currently only has retail wholesalers Costco and walmart). The UA biosciences park, which will undergo a name change as well, failed to find an anchor biotech company and leaders are hoping to broaden their search for some kind of a tech firm to come to the Site. There is good news for that Site, however, as construction for a housing project will soon begin.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
continuing on the restaurant discussion... When will Pizzeria Bianco finally open? last i heard was february but still don't think theres been an official date?
Sure you saw this today, but there's definitely been progress.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 5:34 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Sure you saw this today, but there's definitely been progress.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Yes! thank you! i was also on Congress earlier and saw in person, looks nice so far, excited for that space to come to life!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
http://azstarnet.com/business/local/...8b3d0539a.html

Project leaders of UA Tech parks are reinventing as well as revising their efforts for building a more successful strategy to lure tech companies to the parks. Leaders will name their project simply as Tech Park Arizona . As we know we have two parks, one called UA Tech Park (which houses companies like raytheon and IBM) and UA biosciences park (which currently only has retail wholesalers Costco and walmart). The UA biosciences park, which will undergo a name change as well, failed to find an anchor biotech company and leaders are hoping to broaden their search for some kind of a tech firm to come to the Site. There is good news for that Site, however, as construction for a housing project will soon begin.
The biotech park pads are sort of a terrible size-- I know of one smallish firm that was looking to move there and start a manufacturing line and there wasn't enough space. If a startup looking for the next expansion can't even fit, what's the incentive for a startup in it's infancy to move there knowing that as soon as they grow they'll have to split campuses or move. It's not close enough to another bio-hub to attract startups to be close to other tech firms either.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 4:27 AM

So driving into downtown from Aviation Highway you can clearly see the new student housing going up in the Iron Horse Neighborhood. It's only four stories, but driving in it has the illusion of looking taller...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:13 PM

Add another restaurant to the Next Level building on Park.

http://azstarnet.com/business/local/...9bb2963f4.html

Quote:
An upstart California fast-casual pizza chain is booming into the Tucson market with plans to open at least five locations over the next three years.

The Pizza Studio’s maiden Tucson restaurant could open as early as June at 1031 N. Park Ave., in the center of a cluster of University of Arizona student housing complexes. The restaurant will be next door to the former home of a Domino’s pizza shop, near East Speedway.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 8:52 PM

City High School to Unveil New Facade of Howard & Stofft Building on Pennington

Pretty neat. I love these throwback facade improvements. I still think the Pioneer could use this...

Article link.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 2:49 PM

I don't know if anyone caught either the 5 o'clock or 6 o'clock version of KOLD News last night, but they were talking about the I-10 widening project from Prince to Ruthrauff.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/2...g-in-the-wings

They talked about the future widening project from Ina to Ruthrauff (to 4 lanes but wide enough to be made into 5 lanes at a future date), but they mentioned something I didn't know was in the works. They mentioned that the interstate would be widened to 4 lanes all the way to Ajo Way. I-10 really needs to be widened to the southeast of Tucson. When I get on the interstate at Valencia it is a pain - as it is sometimes all but impossible to merge onto the interstate due to heavy traffic. It's only 2 lanes there and needs to be widened to at least 3 lanes all the way out to at least Houghton, if not further (I would say out to the Vail area). At least they're planning on making it 4 lanes further south.

I do know that the state is currently doing studies to see about the feasibility of widening I-10 from Ina to Tangerine Rd. and about widening it further south (or just utilizing SR-210, Aviation Highway, more - but as convenient as this road may be it is no substitute for a better and expanded I-10), but these studies won't be complete until later this year. All this info can be found on the AZ DOT website: http://www.azdot.gov/projects/south-central

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I don't know if anyone caught either the 5 o'clock or 6 o'clock version of KOLD News last night, but they were talking about the I-10 widening project from Prince to Ruthrauff.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/2...g-in-the-wings

They talked about the future widening project from Ina to Ruthrauff (to 4 lanes but wide enough to be made into 5 lanes at a future date), but they mentioned something I didn't know was in the works. They mentioned that the interstate would be widened to 4 lanes all the way to Ajo Way. I-10 really needs to be widened to the southeast of Tucson. When I get on the interstate at Valencia it is a pain - as it is sometimes all but impossible to merge onto the interstate due to heavy traffic. It's only 2 lanes there and needs to be widened to at least 3 lanes all the way out to at least Houghton, if not further (I would say out to the Vail area). At least they're planning on making it 4 lanes further south.

I do know that the state is currently doing studies to see about the feasibility of widening I-10 from Ina to Tangerine Rd. and about widening it further south (or just utilizing SR-210, Aviation Highway, more - but as convenient as this road may be it is no substitute for a better and expanded I-10), but these studies won't be complete until later this year. All this info can be found on the AZ DOT website: http://www.azdot.gov/projects/south-central
They're in the studies phase of the plan to widen I-10 from Kino to Valencia Rd. The plan also includes connecting Aviation Hwy to the freeway. If you go on ADOT's website there's more info. The plan also includes a new free flow interchange at I-10 and Alvernon. That's where I'm guessing Tucson's next "stack" will be.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
They're in the studies phase of the plan to widen I-10 from Kino to Valencia Rd. The plan also includes connecting Aviation Hwy to the freeway. If you go on ADOT's website there's more info. The plan also includes a new free flow interchange at I-10 and Alvernon. That's where I'm guessing Tucson's next "stack" will be.
Yeah, I knew about the study of widening I-10 to Valencia and/or connecting Aviation Hwy to the freeway (purchasing the land for it and planning ahead for it is part of the RTA). I provided a link to the ADOT website and it's all in the plan there titled, "I-10 and SR 210 Feasibility Study", but what the report on KOLD makes it seem is that widening I-10 to 4 lanes south do Ajo Way is already planned for, not still being studied. I was also saying that in my opinion, though connecting Aviation Hwy (SR 210) to I-10 isn't a bad idea, and may be a good idea, but it isn't a substitution for widening I-10 to at least 3 lanes. Doing that all the way to Valencia is a good start, but it needs to be done all the way to at least Houghton, if not Vail. The southeast side is probably the 2nd fastest growing part of the metro area, after the northwest side (Marana, Oro Valley). If you look at maps of the city limits of Tucson there is a huge area extending down Houghton to the southeast of the urban part of the city that is within the city limits. Though it might take a few decades to really get going (the southern part of Houghton, but still north of I-10 is just getting going again) with construction, that will be built on some day in the future. Prepare for it now so we aren't behind the curve yet again.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 4:04 AM

Just a heads up, but the Pima Association of Governments (PAG) is preparing their Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) that will extend until 2045. You can currently take a survey using the PAG website: http://www.pagnet.org/tabid/1136/Default.aspx. I did it and would encourage everyone on here to do the same.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Just a heads up, but the Pima Association of Governments (PAG) is preparing their Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) that will extend until 2045. You can currently take a survey using the PAG website: http://www.pagnet.org/tabid/1136/Default.aspx. I did it and would encourage everyone on here to do the same.
Thanks for posting. Pretty good survey. I especially like that you can see the results at the end. I was surprised to see more women than men had taken the survey so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest