HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 9:06 PM
Community Guy

Interesting photo caption.

http://www.condopedia.com

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 9:15 PM

I wish the city would do that with light features or water features. And stop allowing stratas to turn them off

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 9:59 PM

Opinions please

For purely self-serving reasons, I'm tapping your collective brain for your thoughts on this question.... As you all know, "Nelson in the Park" (1000 Block Nelson) is slowly wending its way through the City Hall mill. In addition, another adjacent tower is following along right behind that one. Assuming that both are approved, there is likely to be a certain degree of construction overlap resulting in pure chaos in that block of Nelson. Now then, how likely do you think it would be that City Hall would permit the construction of an equally tall tower in the 1000 block of Barclay Street (one block North of Nelson) whilst the construction of the two Nelson Street towers is ongoing? Keep in mind that the 1000 block of Nelson and the 1000 block of Barclay share a common lane. I'm thinking that three massive projects all proceeding (ostensibly) on the same block would be a nightmare and not permitted. Based on past experience... thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:23 PM

Hrhsheba, here is the plan for the area. Nelson in the Park is the middle one of the three tall towers in the middle.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:26 PM

thanks for that - I was aware that there was a grouping planned - it's just the timing I'm wondering about. Do you think Barclay Street would be deferred pending completion (or substantial completion) of Nelson Street?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhsheba View Post
thanks for that - I was aware that there was a grouping planned - it's just the timing I'm wondering about. Do you think Barclay Street would be deferred pending completion (or substantial completion) of Nelson Street?
It seems to me that Barclay Street would be much easier to build since it's a two-way street. I'm not sure how construction vehicles will access the Nelson Street sites (Wall and Westbank) without traffic disruption.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
It seems to me that Barclay Street would be much easier to build since it's a two-way street. I'm not sure how construction vehicles will access the Nelson Street sites (Wall and Westbank) without traffic disruption.
The alley between Barclay and Nelson was closed through the duration of the construction of Patina. I suspect they'll do the same with these projects. Access to the parkade for Patina is on Barclay IIRC.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhsheba View Post
No, that's not how the city would approach it (and could leave them open to litigation if they did). They can impose the scenario in which the construction must occur, and it is the developer who must operate within that framework, but they cannot outright deffer if because another private developer is building nearby.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 8:23 PM
Dense City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Hrhsheba, here is the plan for the area. Nelson in the Park is the middle one of the three tall towers in the middle.

This should be posted in the Future Canadian Skylines thread.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM

New rezoning app for 33 storey office downtown:

"The City of Vancouver has received an application to rezone 1133 Melville Street from DD (Downtown) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The proposal is for a 33-storey office building with retail at grade..."
Source: COV Rezoning Map

Vancity BUZZ has an article

Currently occupied by what must be one of the ugliest buildings downtown - a truly awful office over multi-level parking lot type: Google Maps These types of above ground parking developments should never be allowed imho. If you want parking then put it underground and out of sight.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 12:38 AM

I take back what I said about it in another thread. 1133 Melville would add presence, angular interest (the roof part) a shiny reflective surface, volume and presence. Go for it.
Additionally, if this goes through and is completed in a few years, what impact will that have on Melville Street, right now a rather quiet 'small street.' How busy would it get?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
This should be posted in the Future Canadian Skylines thread.
I did some months ago. Not many comments if I recall correctly.

Please keep in mind that this only incorporates vision for West End and there will me many more towers going up in Yaletown, Coal Harbour and elsewhere in Downtown.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:34 AM
Dense City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I did some months ago. Not many comments if I recall correctly.

Please keep in mind that this only incorporates vision for West End and there will me many more towers going up in Yaletown, Coal Harbour and elsewhere in Downtown.
Ya not surprised no one in the ROC likes it when Vancouver improves or succeeds.
We need someone to make a future skyline render with all these new towers! Way easier said than done of course.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

Approved by the UDP today (July 30, 2015) according to GBL Twitter:
http://www.gblarchitects.com/unanimo...owntown-tower/

http://www.gblarchitects.com/unanimo...owntown-tower/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver