HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:45 AM

Hi, the TGH is cost shared with the Feds already and has been shovel-ready for about 6 years The problem is that the City mayor got cold feet and is fighting the road.

The latest tender call is to satisfy the City's want for zero-run-off on new projects even though the TGH was sanctioned before the City instituted the new rule about zero run-off. The retention ponds I've seen so far are drownings waiting to happen.

I asked the city person about the "others" and she kept saying that's the Prov Gov't. She also said she thought that pavement would soon be started but that hardly seems likely this year since while the over/under passes at Old Pennywell and Redmonds are 'finished' the bypass roads are still in place and would have to be removed before any paving. Blackmarsh Rd overpass is still under construction and Blackmarsh Rd will be torn up from July-Oct, complicating access in that area.

It's unlikely that the Topsail Rd overpass will get done anytime soon since there's nowhere to go south of Topsail Rd (ie no roadbed after Brookfield Rd) and they need the inner overpass at Topsail Rd if they are to bring traffic to Topsail Rd and that'll be another full year of construction.

So my guess is that they'll finish the overpass at Blackmarsh and probably tender for the inner Topsail Rd overpass this year. They can't have traffic down Redmonds Rd until the round-about is done and there's no sign of any work on that this year.

So, unlikely that $ 23 M will get spent this year, perhaps $7 M for the inner Topsail Rd overpass and they'll take the rest in the fall budget for other things.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Hi, the TGH is cost shared with the Feds already and has been shovel-ready for about 6 years The problem is that the City mayor got cold feet and is fighting the road.

The latest tender call is to satisfy the City's want for zero-run-off on new projects even though the TGH was sanctioned before the City instituted the new rule about zero run-off. The retention ponds I've seen so far are drownings waiting to happen.

I asked the city person about the "others" and she kept saying that's the Prov Gov't. She also said she thought that pavement would soon be started but that hardly seems likely this year since while the over/under passes at Old Pennywell and Redmonds are 'finished' the bypass roads are still in place and would have to be removed before any paving. Blackmarsh Rd overpass is still under construction and Blackmarsh Rd will be torn up from July-Oct, complicating access in that area.

It's unlikely that the Topsail Rd overpass will get done anytime soon since there's nowhere to go south of Topsail Rd (ie no roadbed after Brookfield Rd) and they need the inner overpass at Topsail Rd if they are to bring traffic to Topsail Rd and that'll be another full year of construction.

So my guess is that they'll finish the overpass at Blackmarsh and probably tender for the inner Topsail Rd overpass this year. They can't have traffic down Redmonds Rd until the round-about is done and there's no sign of any work on that this year.

So, unlikely that $ 23 M will get spent this year, perhaps $7 M for the inner Topsail Rd overpass and they'll take the rest in the fall budget for other things.
I've given up all hope this will ever be completed. Will probably make for a good bike/walking path instead.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 8:14 PM

At this rate Brad Gushue will be long retired from curling before the highway bearing his name is completed.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 1:27 PM

I thought I saw a reference in a City agenda, or some such document, to $350,000 for tie in to TGH from Capt. Whalen Dr. I have the impression that this is part of this year's capital works program....fingers crossed.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
At this rate Brad Gushue will be long retired from curling before the highway bearing his name is completed.
He needs to win another championship before phase 2 can be completed and opened. A third championship to get Topsail to the highway completed

We're gonna be waiting a loooong time.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
He needs to win another championship before phase 2 can be completed and opened. A third championship to get Topsail to the highway completed

We're gonna be waiting a loooong time.
I heard she's hung up b'y, on a committee studying whether to name it, Dwight Ball Diversion or Martin Motorway

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 1:36 PM

A picture I took of the airport expansion from about a week ago. Looks like its coming along nicely.

Last edited by LordNezazor; Jun 22, 2016 at 1:38 PM. Reason: Image to large!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 5:45 PM

$40M being invested this year in St. John's International Airport upgrades

Source: CBC NL
Date: June 30, 2016

Happy last 13% HST day!

Quote:
A new parking lot at St. John's International Airport will provide free Wi-Fi for drivers waiting to pick up visitors, while reducing congestion inside the terminal and pollution on the outside.

The addition is one of a series of improvements the St. John's International Airport Authority announced Thursday as part of a $40-million program over the coming year, and a component of a decade-long $250-million refurbishment.

Pegged as a "cellphone waiting parking lot," the news space will allow people to park for free while they wait for arrivals. They will then not need to wait inside the airport, and pay for short-term parking in regular lots.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...sion-1.3659663

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 12:43 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Source: CBC NL
Date: June 30, 2016

Happy last 13% HST day!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...sion-1.3659663
I have to question the planning involved in the airport expansion. This roundabout construction should have taken place before World Parkway became the airport entrance and Craig Dobbin Way was still in use. Now traffic will be congested during prime tourist season.
I also find it unbelievable that with the worst weather in the country there are NO plans for a parking garage.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 11:47 AM

Interesting note as to why the roundabout is being constructed in the press release from the airport.

"The roundabout is being installed to manage traffic flows, especially with a number of new developments planned for the area that include a service (gas) station, a rental car facility and a second hotel."

http://stjohnsairport.com/wp-content...n-Schedule.pdf

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:28 PM

A quick question, perhaps a bit off-topic regarding the online Google Maps.

I notice that some streets that I consider principal routes are shown as very narrow white lines, while other streets have a much larger measure. Consider LeMarchant Rd is shown as a very narrow road, whereas Hamilton Ave is very wide on the map, likewise Waterford Bridge Rd which is barely two lanes with no parking in spots.

So how do roads get designated on Google Maps, is this something the city decides?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I notice that some streets that I consider principal routes are shown as very narrow white lines, while other streets have a much larger measure. Consider LeMarchant Rd is shown as a very narrow road, whereas Hamilton Ave is very wide on the map, likewise Waterford Bridge Rd which is barely two lanes with no parking in spots.

So how do roads get designated on Google Maps, is this something the city decides?
Details of map items can be viewed at https://www.google.ca/mapmaker .

Try clicking 'Browse,' then 'Line features,' then select a road, then click 'Details'. A panel will reveal all the details associated with that road segment. In the case of Lemarchant, the 'Priority' attribute is 'Local road', while Hamilton's 'Priority' is 'Major artery'.

You can add and edit roads, walking paths, biking paths, parks, buildings, businesses, and all sorts of other things through Mapmaker. The edits will eventually be reviewed and, if accepted, added to Google Maps. You can also review edits submitted by other users to speed the review process. The more community users review Mapmaker edits, the quicker edits get accepted or rejected.

I don't know how Google automatically classifies road 'Priority'. I would guess it's a mix of aerial photography, existing data from municipal, provincial, and federal governments, and Street View data.

Google encourages all of us to improve Maps by suggesting edits, for example, to the 'Priority' attribute. From a quick read of the road priorities help page https://support.google.com/mapmaker/.../1098056?hl=en ), I think both Hamilton and Lemarchant are better described by the 'Minor artery' classification.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 1:52 PM

I visited the airport yesterday and I must say that I am becoming increasingly impressed with the work they are doing there. The roundabout looks to be about half completed, the new parking lots and related site work and landscaping is really coming along, and there is a lot of activity in the area behind the Holiday Inn - the place is just a behive of activity! The temporary construction wall in front of the west end terminal extension has been removed which makes you appreciate the new size of the building. What a change from a couple of years ago - the whole area looks huge in comparison!

Also, I noticed in this week's council notes an approved permit for the construction of a new hotel at 65 Jetstream Ave. Anyone have any info on this or the talked about gas station? I am very interested in the whole airport redevelopment!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 4:23 PM

Angry

A lot of traffic chaos in the city recently mainly due to road repair work. Suggestions for improvements to work scheduling (working at night) appear to be falling on deaf ears. How can a city councillor justify saying that we have " a different labour market here... construction companies would say there's a premium to doing it at night"? Seriously? In our economy? Work is work.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tion-1.3753988

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 7:16 PM

New Cougar Heliport is opening Oct. 3rd.

Quote:
Location : 10 Jetstream Avenue, St. John’s International Airport

Directions : • Turn off Portugal Cove Road onto World Parkway – the Main Airport Entrance.

• Exit the roundabout onto Navigator Avenue passing the Holiday Inn on your left .

• Turn right onto Jetstream Avenue and the new Cougar Heliport is on the left.

Parking: Upon driving into the ‘Cougar Campus’, you will enter a one-way system which will take you to short term parking. All spaces marked with white lines are for use by visitors. No long term or overnight parking is permitted.

Drop-Off/Pick-Up: There is a wide drop-off/pickup lane in front of the heliport. No parking is permitted in this lane.

Departure Area :
• 32 Space Visitor Parking Lot
• Drop-off/pick-up lane
• 4 Passenger Check-in Desks
• Large Walk-Thru Security Screening area
• Spacious Main Concourse
• 6 Departure Briefing Rooms
• Lunch Room
• Quiet Room
• Games Room
• Computer (Internet) Room
• Smoking Area

Arrival Area :
• 2 Suit Doffing Rooms
• Baggage Hall
• Bathrooms
• Families Waiting Room

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 7:30 PM

I took a drive around the airport the other day and I am amazed at the amount of work happening there! It'd really feeling like the airport is much much more than a tiny terminal now, with all the new buildings and the rearranging of the roads and the big expansion of the terminal building. Awesome stuff!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 10:44 AM

The airport is looking great. They are doing a fantastic job on the whole area. I know that only last year, the airport authority dismantled the electronic airport sign and rebuilt it near the entrance to World Parkway, but I think they should move it to the island in the middle of the new roundabout. That would be the proper place for it, and it would leave the land it's currently on more attractive for a development at the airport entrance.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:14 PM

The new roundabout at St. John's International Airport is now open. The new cell phone parking lot is also open.http://vocm.com/news/roundabout-open...ional-airport/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 12:25 AM

I started a new job today at Holiday Inn Express at the Airport. First thing I discovered...was that Best Western are building a new hotel (currently under construction) right behind it in the new industrial area next door to the new Cougar terminal. Also heard a rumour that Hyatt Regency are planning a hotel for the airport area too.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I started a new job today at Holiday Inn Express at the Airport.
How's the new roundabout?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's