HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
If a bank is lending 50-60% of the project costs they're the primary investors.

The terms have gotten much worse for developers over the cycle. Both in terms of LTC & rates. There is plenty of equity, but equity is expensive.

You seem overly sensitive about this issue, but being in the industry I can tell you that a lot of these projects are a) having difficulty finding debt to make the project work b) equity is expensive and isn't a solution c) a good portion of these projects are going to be pushed until the next cycle.

That isn't to say development is going to stop. Condos, office, etc. are going to pick up.
I am bit confused as to what I said to make you think I was being "overly sensitive"?

With that being said, I have a question about your comment: "c) a good portion of these projects are going to be pushed until the next cycle." To my knowledge, the majority of announced projects seem to be moving forward except the supertall developments and nothing has formally been canceled or delayed.

I am curious what projects you think will not happen this cycle?

Last edited by Atlanta3000; May 4, 2016 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I am bit confused as to what I said to make you think I was being "overly sensitive"?

With that being said, I have a question about your comment: "c) a good portion of these projects are going to be pushed until the next cycle." To my knowledge, the majority of announced projects seem to be moving forward except the supertall developments and nothing has formally been canceled or delayed.

I'm sorry, maybe I was the one being overly sensitive? It just felt like you took my comment as a slight as opposed to just me offering my knowledge to fellow enthusiasts (even if this knowledge is somewhat limited ).

Here is what I know: a handful of jobs I'm familiar with have had trouble with financing, specifically with the amount of offers and the quality of terms. I don't know which projects have financing secured, so I couldn't give you a list. It is just in my opinion, based on my experiences, that a notable portion of these recent announcements, who naturally are in the earlier stages of development, are going to have difficulty securing financing (or financing that makes the economics of the project work). This isn't to say there isn't equity, I'm specifically talking about debt.

So I don't have anything specifically to tell you. I just think announcements in the coming months, specifically in Midtown & Buckhead, are going to be limited and I wouldn't be surprised to see many of these recent announcements, and some of the larger more grandiose developments, slide until next cycle. I don't think they'll be canceled all together. They'll just sort of... not happen.

We'll see though, what has already happened has been great, and when the projects completed in the construction pipeline are done it'll really transform large portions of the city. I'll be excited to see what comes in the condo and office pipeline.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
I'm sorry, maybe I was the one being overly sensitive? It just felt like you took my comment as a slight as opposed to just me offering my knowledge to fellow enthusiasts (even if this knowledge is somewhat limited ).

Here is what I know: a handful of jobs I'm familiar with have had trouble with financing, specifically with the amount of offers and the quality of terms. I don't know which projects have financing secured, so I couldn't give you a list. It is just in my opinion, based on my experiences, that a notable portion of these recent announcements, who naturally are in the earlier stages of development, are going to have difficulty securing financing (or financing that makes the economics of the project work). This isn't to say there isn't equity, I'm specifically talking about debt.

So I don't have anything specifically to tell you. I just think announcements in the coming months, specifically in Midtown & Buckhead, are going to be limited and I wouldn't be surprised to see many of these recent announcements, and some of the larger more grandiose developments, slide until next cycle. I don't think they'll be canceled all together. They'll just sort of... not happen.

We'll see though, what has already happened has been great, and when the projects completed in the construction pipeline are done it'll really transform large portions of the city. I'll be excited to see what comes in the condo and office pipeline.
You can already see the slowdown in Midtown. So far we're 4-5 months in and there's only been like 1 or 2 new major projects announced so far. I said it last year I just don't expect many new highrise announcement in Midtown this year. I feel we're at the top of the cycle at least in terms of the multi-family market.

I just hope specific projects like Eviva, Greystar, and 7th and Peachtree get started before it's too late.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post

Well here's one that we now know will not happen.

Pollack Shores shelves more than 300-unit Buckhead project, cites concerns of overdevelopment

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-buckhead.html
Quote:
Pollack Shores won’t proceed with its 325-unit apartment and retail development at Pharr Road and North Fulton in the Buckhead Village, where several projects are already underway or plan to start later this year. Pollack Shores made the decision as lenders are tightening financing for new apartments.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 3:20 PM

Hollywood Cemetery in west Atlanta

It's been a long time since I've been on this forum, so I hope I'm posting to the appropriate thread. I'm publishing an ongoing series of articles on my site riveredges.com about Hollywood Cemetery on Hollywood Road in west Atlanta, just south of Riverside and Bolton. I've been interested in this large, neglected cemetery for 20 years. The first five articles are about the history of the cemetery, and I'm going to write about the current prospects for cleanup and restoration after I catch up to the present day. Here's a link to the first article, and you can muddle through and find the rest on the site.

Atlanta's Hollywood Cemetery's beginnings.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFeltonJ View Post
It's been a long time since I've been on this forum, so I hope I'm posting to the appropriate thread. I'm publishing an ongoing series of articles on my site riveredges.com about Hollywood Cemetery on Hollywood Road in west Atlanta, just south of Riverside and Bolton. I've been interested in this large, neglected cemetery for 20 years. The first five articles are about the history of the cemetery, and I'm going to write about the current prospects for cleanup and restoration after I catch up to the present day. Here's a link to the first article, and you can muddle through and find the rest on the site.

I'm always fascinated with the history of a place. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFeltonJ View Post

Thank you for these excellent articles, Larry.

This is a fascinating story.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 3:32 PM

Anyone heard anything about the NW corner of Peachtree & Linden, Emory University Hospital Midtown surface lot. Have seen lots of surveying going on lately around/in the lot. We live across the street in the Reynolds building, 565 Peachtree - 17th floor, worried about losing our west view:

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 12:30 AM

Emory was planning a big expansion to include an additional 300-beds split between the Clifton campus and Emory Midtown. Those plans were of course put on hold in 2009 during the recession. They have since completed the first phase of the expansion, a new 9-story 200-bed patient tower at Clifton, which means the Midtown building will have 100 beds if they follow the same plans announced in 2008.

To my knowledge, they never released any other specifics but I do recall there was talk of demolishing the building that fronts West Peachtree in your photo touching off a minor debate on whether or not it was worth saving. If Emory is about to revive those plans in Midtown, its very likely that the building will be less than 10 stories.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 1:04 AM

Thank you very much for the history, I'll keep up to speed on it now

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 2:08 PM

Colony Square, Peachtree Center and CNN Center makovers

This AJC article mentions plans to "de-mall" these three inward focused developments.

Quote:
North American’s plan encompasses the current mall and potentially adding another 60,000 square feet of retail space. Toro said his group has been approached by retailers seeking “flagship” stores, though he declined to name potential merchants. He declined to discuss speculation about an Apple store, though he did say his team is considering a boutique movie theater concept featuring fine dining.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/a...keovers/nrpsm/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 9:26 PM

Atlanta Neighborhoods Among C&W’s “Cool Streets

( Little Five Points)
Cushman & Wakefield Retail’s new “Cool Streets” report is an examination of some of the hottest neighborhoods in the country, and looks at their coolness rating, given a number of factors ranging from Walkability to Nightlife and Diversity.

Two of Atlanta’s neighborhoods made it into the report’s Top 100: Little Five Points and the Old Fourth Ward. Both are eclectic areas of town that attract young people to their terrific food offerings, nightlife and edgy scene.

Little Five Points was deemed “Prime Hipness” due to its perfect scores in Walkability, Food, Nightlife, Music, Arts, Diversity and Vintage/Thrift. It also scored well in being Bicycle Friendly. Its only knocks were in access to higher education and public transportation.

Old Fourth Ward was deemed “Still Cool,” but perhaps coming down a bit from its height. It scored perfectly in Food, Nightlife and Diversity, while coming in strong with Walkability, Bicycle Friendly, Music and Arts. Its Vintage/Thrift, access to higher education and public transportation were lacking.

http://blog.cushwake.com/atlanta/atl...l-streets.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 2:33 PM

20 years Ago, this happened in Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 11:34 PM

http://wolfstreet.com/2016/08/15/doo...and-its-banks/

Some of you fellas are pretty savvy and you're seemingly on the sell side of the industry, so I wonder how you react to this piece about the Miami condo market, specifically contrasted with the situation here in Atlanta. Specifically I'm wondering if any of you can offer insight or comment to add to or refute the points being made.
Obviously Miami is building thousands of condos (11,000 currently under construction in 40 buildings) and Atlanta has an equal number of apartments under development. Seems Atlanta has an advantage with apartments. A large part of Miami condos will end up being auctioned off and the developers will bankrupt. They simply can't convert condos to apartments without taking a bath. I wonder how the current owners of those condos must feel. Atlanta has always been very leery of condos, and maybe that's a good thing.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:43 AM

This is a sweet page of Atlanta drone videos. Ben Fox? Pretty sure the guy is on here, he has to be. Love your stuff Ben, hope you don't mind if I out your vids?

https://www.youtube.com/user/batteryplum

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:39 AM

We've only begun to understand the creative uses of drones.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:53 AM

Incredible views. Drones have really changed the game in terms of skyline/city photography.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
This is a sweet page of Atlanta drone videos. Ben Fox? Pretty sure the guy is on here, he has to be. Love your stuff Ben, hope you don't mind if I out your vids?

https://www.youtube.com/user/batteryplum
Just watched the one for BOA. I hope this building adds an observation deck one day. Maybe once the immediate area develops further and gains more foot traffic.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:00 PM

Some of these videos get a bit frenetic and move too fast so I've found that knocking the video speed down to .5 helps a bunch and doesn't really hurt the music for the most part. Really love the 3344 Peachtree video.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Just watched the one for BOA. I hope this building adds an observation deck one day. Maybe once the immediate area develops further and gains more foot traffic.
I was thinking the same thing. Its been done in other cities and would offer great views of both Midtown and downtown. It may even create some brand image for the tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta