HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:16 PM

Article i got from Winnipeg free press this morning is firebird the Rocks finance arm is buying 10% of fenway Park and the Red Sox for $750 million. From what I see here Rock is looking to buy the whole cfl make it a 20 team league continental wide and become the Dana White of football buying an established league for a song much like Dana White did when he bought UFC in the early 2000s.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The reality is that there is a proven market for pro football in Canada. Between that and the fact that there are existing venues ready to be had, that basically guarantees that there will be some kind of pro football played in Canada. I suppose the big question is what form will it take and how much fan interest would it generate.

For all its flaws, the CFL does have a largely national major league presence in Canada. I get that it might not be that prominent in certain parts of Canada, but that's no different than the NHL where people barely notice it in US regions without teams. You can't argue that the CFL has significant presence in Canada. If the CFL shrinks dramatically then I suppose it starts to look a bit more like the CPL. Smaller venues, less money, less exposure, etc. But whether it's a Canadian league or an American outfit like the XFL expanding here, you can bet there will be a league because there's money to be made. It would just be smaller-time than the CFL as it currently stands.

Obviously losing the CFL as we know it would be a hit to Regina and Winnipeg which are still paying for new venues... the stadiums would still get used, but not really to their full potential. A "new" smaller CFL might draw, let's say, 10,000 fans a game around here vs. the much larger crowds the current teams get, but it's not like the stadiums would sit empty. The other teams would continue to use the venues too, and might even get a bit of a bump in fan support. But even if the CFL survives this episode and remains intact, it could be a death blow to any prospect for a new stadium in Calgary because of the high risk involved with such a project.
I think most of us would agree that a CFL or CFL2.0 that would feature crowds of 10,000 and sporadic TV and media coverage would be a major step down from a CFL with crowds of 25,000-30,000 and every game broadcast on TSN, which is what we have now.

If some type of alliance with The Rock and Company leads to crowds of 25-30K or even more plus good visibility, regardless of the rules of play, then I may revisit my position but for the moment I remain skeptical that that would be a likely outcome.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think most of us would agree that a CFL or CFL2.0 that would feature crowds of 10,000 and sporadic TV and media coverage would be a major step down from a CFL with crowds of 25,000-30,000 and every game broadcast on TSN, which is what we have now.

If some type of alliance with The Rock and Company leads to crowds of 25-30K or even more plus good visibility, regardless of the rules of play, then I may revisit my position but for the moment I remain skeptical that that would be a likely outcome.
If the rock invests in player salary cap of say 20 to 25 million per club like MLS does and they can sign prized first round us college or pro bowl nfl players not making quarter backs Money then I could see crowds getting bigger

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
If the rock invests in player salary cap of say 20 to 25 million per club like MLS does and they can sign prized first round us college or pro bowl nfl players not making quarter backs Money then I could see crowds getting bigger
I guess that's possible but in my lifestime big-name US stars even in their prime haven't really paid off that much for the CFL at the gate. We've even had non-washed up Heisman Trophy winners and from what I recall they only produced faint blips.

I mean Doug Flutie was a hell of a big name in football on either side of the border and pretty exciting player (especially playing Canadian rules) and IIRC he didn't pack stadiums here.

I am sure there were some people who bought tickets to see him in action but I for one never heard anyone say "Doug Flutie's in town - let's go see him play".

Even players in their absolute prime like Raghib Ismail, who was projected as the no. 1 pick in the NFL draft, were seen as "no big deal", "nothing special" or "not good enough for the NFL" by many Canadians because they played in the CFL, and not the NFL.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:35 PM

Quote:
I guess that's possible but in my lifestime big-name US stars even in their prime haven't really paid off that much for the CFL at the gate. We've even had non-washed up Heisman Trophy winners and from what I recall they only produced faint blips.

I mean Doug Flutie was a hell of a big name in football on either side of the border and pretty exciting player (especially playing Canadian rules) and IIRC he didn't pack stadiums here.

I am sure there were some people who bought tickets to see him in action but I for one never heard anyone say "Doug Flutie's in town - let's go see him play".

Even players in their absolute prime like Raghib Ismail, who was projected as the no. 1 pick in the NFL draft, were seen as "no big deal", "nothing special" or "not good enough for the NFL" by many Canadians because they played in the CFL, and not the NFL.
I disagree flutie when he went to bc they averaged 41000 fans a game rocket Ismail in Toronto 36000 fans a game in the 70s the Argos and Als always signed big us college stars and averaged 45 to 60000 fans a game

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I disagree flutie when he went to bc they averaged 41000 fans a game rocket Ismail in Toronto 36000 fans a game in the 70s the Argos and Als always signed big us college stars and averaged 45 to 60000 fans a game
OK then. I hope you're right if this materializes!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:44 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If the CFL dies or shrinks into a semi-pro league, then I could certainly see the CPL filling the vacuum of summer sports that would exist in CFL cities except for Toronto where obviously the Jays keep sports fans busy for those months.

I would think in Winnipeg specifically there would be some pressure to find a way to fill IG Field with fans to help pay it down and keep it from becoming a financial millstone around the neck of government.
Our financial millstone is newer and bigger.

It's a whole lot of emotions for me on that comment.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Another thing about these parallel leagues like the XFL (and others before) is: what is the ultimate (unstated) goal?

Is it to beat the NFL at its own game?

That seems unlikely as a goal and even unlikelier to succeed if it is the actual goal.

The reason I am asking is that ever since the NHL absorbed some WHA clubs and the NFL and AFL merged, rich people have dreamt of getting into the big league by creating a parallel league and then hoping that a few years down the road the big guys will swallow the entire league or at least some of its clubs.

If you look at what happened with the USFL (with Donald Trump as an investor and owner!), which was reasonably viable for a fairly long time and had some good players and strong clubs, the NFL never admitted any of its clubs, but it did shake up the NFL quite a bit.

They expanded for the first time in decades and when they did some of the better USFL cities got clubs. And also some existing NFL teams moved to USFL cities that had proven to be good pro football markets.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
At best, some creative thinking from the Rock and all them might help the CFL innovate away from the slow, stop-start nature of gridiron that has driven fans to soccer and somewhat to rugby in the big cities. If they want ideas, I'm sure many of us have.
I'm 100% on board with you here. I've also written some of my ideas for this, on this forum, Reddit, and elsewhere.

This may be somewhat contradictory, but IMO, for all the debating about which sport is better on the field - NFL vs CFL, soccer vs contact sports, rugby union vs rugby league, AFL vs GAA... at the highest view, the game itself doesn't fucking matter. What matters is the history, context, attitude, presentation of a league to it's fans. I fucking hate soccer, not the rules itself but the way it's played with diving and whining etc. But guess what - we bought Forge season tickets, because being a new Canadian league was more enticing than the specifics. And I have fun at games! I like it, as long as I sit far away form the "supporters sections".

I don't love the CFL and the Tiger-Cats because I think Canadian Football is the greatest sport on earth. I love it because it is a historic, independent, Canadian league that has been part of our culture. If you take away some or all of those aspects, it loses what makes it special.

People talk about the game, local businesses sponsor the team and have advertising tie-ins, the city runs special busses, we throw parties and parades when they win. The teams volunteer in the community, they get kids involved in physical activity and team building. All this happens because it matters to people, and a diminished league would matter less, and you end up in a feedback loop until it dies.

I see a lot of comments about "the league is dying", "on its last legs", to quote Acajack (just as one example, not to pick on you) "So the options before us right now are a) a semi-moribund CFL like the status quo, b) a lower level farm league of sorts run by the XFL or c) no pro gridiron football at all" - I don't think I agree with that take. Is it just because I'm in Hamilton, one of the stronger markets? It seems like the league was doing pretty good the last few years? Obvious issues in the big markets, sure. But I went to a RedBlacks game and it felt just as alive and vibrant as games in Hamilton do. Sask and Winnpeg are strong, Calgary has softened, probably due to a bit of winners fatigue, but Montreal has new owners and new life it seemed to me, Toronto has the backing of MLSE to get through their troubles. BC will have new owners soon too. That doesn't seem semi-moribund.

Anyway, back to my initial thought on - does the rules of the game matter? Kind of, so far as that people use them as a stick to beat the league with. But rugby is way faster than football, why isn't rugby the most popular sport to everyone who finds football too slow? Things could be improved, even diehard fans see that, but I don't think it makes someone a fan or prevents them from being a fan. If you like football you still watch football, but support ways to improve it. All sports do that all the time.

The CFL suffers for it's constant comparison to the NFL. The history of the game made this somewhat inevitable - sports traditions around the world were largely cemented in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, and then, as now, we were so integrated with our much larger neighbour to the south that of course we developed along similar lines.

When I promote Canadian Football evolving in a rugby-type direction, it's not because I think rugby is the best sport. I do think rugby is the best, but rugby already exists, and we have it here now as well. I argue that because, seemingly against all odds, we have somehow managed to maintain our own, independent version of football. It's not unique in how it is played, but it still our own.

I've been in a pub in Dublin during the GAA football final. They don't care that nobody else in the world plays or even cares about their game. They don't put it down and say "might as well play rugby, that's what all our neighbours play". No, they love it and embrace and celebrate it as part of themselves. Same goes for Australian Rules in Australia (although Aussies are somewhat quick to put down their non-preferred versions of football, due their regionalization). I want that for Canada, and the way to get more of that IMO is by not being the same as the Americans. We need to do our own thing, rest of the world be damned. But Canadians are awful at that, in all facets of life. Nothing cultural is good or cool unless the Americans think so too, with few exceptions.

Unfortunately, I don't really see this happening. CFL coaches, GMs, refs, etc overwhelmingly come from the American system, either directly or indirectly. The only chance I see is a radical change in the game forced by concussions and player safety. I thought at one time the pandemic could be a catalyst, forcing more use of two-way players and Canadian talent. But we would need the CFL, U Sports, and the entire grassroots of the game on board ot make something like that happen. If anyone here follows the structure of amateur football in Canada, that's a complete pipedream, they can't even agree or unify with the current paradigm.

I don't know what to expect to happen.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:49 PM

The CFL product the steak is great but the sizzle is not there. The league isn't generating super stars like it used to and it needs stars to fill seats especially in Toronto Montreal and Vancouver. The rock has the resources and sizzle to make this exciting i have not seen Bell willing to grow CFL football they are just happy they fill can con crtc requirements. Halifax has had 50 years to get a stadium going but they seem very luke warm to the idea. If you can transform the CFL to a MLS business model with us tv deals covering your costs and giving a place for the 1100 ncaa players every year coming out of school to play i say go for it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Another thing about these parallel leagues like the XFL (and others before) is: what is the ultimate (unstated) goal?

Is it to beat the NFL at its own game?
They can't. You could try doing that back in the 70s when you could show up and pay a comparable salary and steal away players from the established league, but that isn't going to happen anymore.

The model is roughly comparable to Arena Football, where they try to run a profitable standalone business that satisfies demand for sports and entertainment. Arena Football doesn't have any grandiose notions of competing with the NFL or having franchises absorbed... it's about finding a place for the many highly skilled football players in the US who can't make a NFL roster and have them play. Get a fanbase, get a TV deal, profit. Sounds simple, but as we all know it is very difficult to pull off.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 8:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The CFL product the steak is great but the sizzle is not there. The league isn't generating super stars like it used to and it needs stars to fill seats especially in Toronto Montreal and Vancouver. The rock has the resources and sizzle to make this exciting i have not seen Bell willing to grow CFL football they are just happy they fill can con crtc requirements. Halifax has had 50 years to get a stadium going but they seem very luke warm to the idea. If you can transform the CFL to a MLS business model with us tv deals covering your costs and giving a place for the 1100 ncaa players every year coming out of school to play i say go for it.
I will defend the superiority of the Canadian rules of football until the day I die, but if the only way for pro football in 9 (10?) Canadian cities to survive (well, thrive would actually be the trade-off I'd want) is through XFL-The Rock and a switch to American rules, I will begrudgingly accept that.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
I will defend the superiority of the Canadian rules of football until the day I die, but if the only way for pro football in 9 (10?) Canadian cities to survive (well, thrive would actually be the trade-off I'd want) is through XFL-The Rock and a switch to American rules, I will begrudgingly accept that.
I am of the exact same mindset I don't like it but I understand covid-19 could kill the CFL as we have known it and if this keeps pro football going in Canada I accept that

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 10:14 PM
Reason and Freedom

What if The Rock showed the following vision?

He first does what we would expect: he buys the league, merges it with the XFL and creates a larger North American league that plays 4-down, US-rules football. The CFL with its Canadian brand of 3-down football is over.

But in buying the league he also consciously buys its history and legacy and incorporates the CFL's historical record as an official part of the history of the XFL. All existing Canadian teams' histories, records and achievements remain officially intact. Going forward, the XFL championship game is not the 2nd annual "Whatever" but rather the 108th Grey Cup (or "Whatever"). The new XFL effectively becomes an old league with over a century of official heritage.

On the American front, the Canadian history may not elevate the league much in American's eyes but retaining it as an official part of the XFL won't demean the league in their eyes either. Indeed, just being able to call your championship the 108th "Whatever" may have enough value on its own to justify this approach from a purely American point of view.

On the Canadian front, officially maintaining the link between the new league and the storied pasts, records, titles and achievements of the CFL and its teams can have a mitigating effect on the damage in Canada of bringing the CFL to an end and increase the chances of success of the XFL in Canada. Knowing the link between their beloved CFL team and the new XFL incarnation of their team has not been completely severed--i.e., that their cherished memories, experiences, traditions and pasts will still have meaning within the new league--the probability that the existing fans of the Canadian teams can buy into the new future is increased.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What if The Rock showed the following vision?

He first does what we would expect: he buys the league, merges it with the XFL and creates a larger North American league that plays 4-down, US-rules football. The CFL with its Canadian brand of 3-down football is over.

But in buying the league he also consciously buys its history and legacy and incorporates the CFL's historical record as an official part of the history of the XFL. All existing Canadian teams' histories, records and achievements remain officially intact. Going forward, the XFL championship game is not the 2nd annual "Whatever" but rather the 108th Grey Cup (or "Whatever"). The new XFL effectively becomes an old league with over a century of official heritage.

On the American front, the Canadian history may not elevate the league much in American's eyes but retaining it as an official part of the XFL won't demean the league in their eyes either. Indeed, just being able to call your championship the 108th "Whatever" may have enough value on its own to justify this approach from a purely American point of view.

On the Canadian front, officially maintaining the link between the new league and the storied pasts, records, titles and achievements of the CFL and its teams can have a mitigating effect on the damage in Canada of bringing the CFL to an end and increase the chances of success of the XFL in Canada. Knowing the link between their beloved CFL team and the new XFL incarnation of their team has not been completely severed--i.e., that their cherished memories, experiences, traditions and pasts will still have meaning within the new league--the probability that the existing fans of the Canadian teams can buy into the new future is increased.
Makes sense if he's buying part of fenway park and 10% of the red Sox for 750 million he can probably buy the whole cfl for 250 million and maybe in 10 years grow it to a North American league worth several billion if they put teams in major American markets without nfl teams

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 10:55 PM

I think keeping CFL rules (including the wider field) would be a differentiator and frankly a more exciting game. The worst part about the NFL is 4 yard runs being a successful use of a down. Snore fest.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 4:15 AM

article this morning in the free press about rock's sports acquisition firm:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...573968121.html

The subject of expansion to the USA came up again this week, when the CFL announced it had entered an alignment with the fledgling XFL.

The XFL is partly owned by entertainment megastar Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson, and Wednesday's news certainly created some buzz for the CFL.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie was of course effusive in his excitement about the alignment, saying this is exactly the type of thing that can help energize the league's fan base.

I'd suggest some games this season would be the first and best step at this point to re-energizing the CFL's fan base, but I'll park my skepticism for a moment to see what — if anything — develops from this latest venture.

Hey, I loved every single storyline the '90s produced, and while the league has a multitude of issues, some good old-fashioned glitz would defintely help, particularly in the Toronto and Vancouver markets.

The Rock is as glitzy as they get.

But as much as the CFL could use an infusion of glitz, it is perhaps just as much in need of an influx of cash, so I'm curious to see where XFL partner RedBird Capital comes into play here.

A principal investment firm that provides capital to businesses, RedBird launched a Special Purpose Acquisition Company called Redball this past year to build a base of sports properties and assets. They've been on a bit of a buying spree ever since and are reportedly in advanced negotiations to spend $750 million to get a 10 per cent stake in Fenway Sports Group, which includes Liverpool Football Club, the Boston Red Sox, Rousch Fenway Racing, and the New England Sports Network broadcasting company.

Maybe they'll just buy the CFL — and put The Rock in charge.

A move I'm sure Lonie and that '90s gang would surely approve of.

As always folks, you can reach me by replying to this mailing or by sending me an email here.

— Sports editor Steve Lyons

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 4:30 AM

RedBall acquisition co chairman is Billy Beane of the Oakland A's money ball GM

https://www.redballac.com/

Our sponsor is an affiliate of RedBird Capital Partners, a principal investment firm focused on building high growth companies with flexible, long-term capital in partnership with entrepreneurs and families. RedBird has over $4.0 billion in assets under supervision and has led equity and co-investments across 23 portfolio companies since its launch in 2014. RedBird has made investments across the sports and media sectors, including media rights, player likenesses and premium live event hospitality and content. The firm’s investment mandate is predicated on a highly entrepreneurial, company-building mentality, where its patient capital, investor network and strategic relationships enable business founders to achieve their corporate objectives. The deep business-building and investing experience of Mr. Cardinale and Mr. Scheiner complement Mr. Beane’s team-management expertise, creating a group capable of identifying attractive investments and executing deals across the global sports landscape.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...erry-cardinale

Report: Liverpool owner FSG valued at ‘more than US$7bn’ in RedBird investment deal
Private equity firm to acquire 10% of John Henry’s holding company for reported US$750m.

Fenway Sports Group (FSG) is on the cusp of selling a ten per cent stake to private equity firm RedBird Capital Partners for around US$750 million, according to Sportico.

The US-based outlet reports that the deal with RedBird, which was founded in 2013 by former Goldman Sachs banker Gerry Cardinale, would value the owner of Premier League champions Liverpool and Major League Baseball’s (MLB) Boston Red Sox at ‘more than US$7 billion’.

Cardinale has been linked with a minority stake in FSG for some time. It was initially reported that he was trying to acquire a share in the group through RedBall Acquisition Corp, a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) he established in July alongside baseball executive Billy Beane.

RedBird Capital buys Wasserman Media Group minority stake

Talks between FSG and RedBall ended in January, although Axios reported at the time that an ‘alternative investment’, structured like a more traditional private equity deal, remained possible.

According to Sportico, RedBird’s investment in FSG, which is headed up by founder John Henry (pictured), is now likely to close ‘in the next six weeks’.

If confirmed, it would be the latest in a series of sports investments by RedBird, which in the last 12 months has purchased French soccer side Toulouse FC and the XFL, the spring football league now set to return in 2022. It was also confirmed just weeks ago that RedBird has bought a minority stake in Wasserman Media Group, the Los Angeles-headquartered sports marketing and talent agency.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 10:39 PM

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/25/c...nually-report/

CFL-XFL merger media rights could be worth $100 million USD annually: report

There was no question that money is what drew both the XFL and CFL to the bargaining table when the two leagues announced formal talks for future collaboration earlier this month, but just how much could a merged league be worth to broadcasters?

$100 million USD annually apparently, according to one expert.

Daniel Cohen, a senior vice-president of global media rights consulting for New York-based media consulting firm Octagon, dropped that number in conversation with Postmedia’s Dan Barnes.

“If you had the same Canadian markets and the same U.S. markets, and you’re talking about a pretty big league now at that point — you might have to consolidate some of these markets — but if you’re talking about a property that can touch let’s say 30 of the top 60 (designated market areas) across Canada and the U.S., I think you could easily go to market and be asking for $100 million U.S. a year,” Cohen predicted.

That figure doesn’t come close to the 11 year, $113 billion dollar pay day recently announce by the NFL, but it is an improvement on the CFL’s current $50 million CAD deal with TSN. The XFL got primetime showcasing on major networks last time around, but did not receive broadcast revenue.

A combined XFL-CFL league has plenty to offer broadcasters and advertisers that might change that.

“I think one of the interesting things in a combined XFL/CFL merge is now, if you’re a brand or a media partner and you’ve got an interest in accessing Canada, or you’re a Canadian brand and you have interest in accessing the U.S., now it opens up two countries,” Cohen explained.

“The NFL can’t currently do that.”

Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital were selected as the winning bidders last August for all of the assets of Alpha Entertainment LLC, the parent company of the XFL. It cost $15 million and the goal is to make the XFL a stable league in the future.

RedBird Capital brings that to the table with $4 billion in capital, but it’s the star power of The Rock that will bring people in.

“You want to make sure you find the right balance … so this isn’t The Rock’s show because you want to focus on the quality of the sport and the authenticity of the sport and the players on the field. But I absolutely think that there is a storytelling element there where The Rock could certainly be intertwined to immediately raise the awareness of the league and drive immediate attention to the league,” Cohen said.

The CFL has been awarding the Grey Cup for over 100 years. Meanwhile, the original XFL lasted one full season in 2001. The XFL lasted just part of one season before the COVID-19 pandemic put their season on hold, which led to Vince McMahon filing for bankruptcy and selling to Johnson and Garcia.

The CFL was has been wracked by it’s own financial struggles from COVID, losing between $60 and $80 million last year, and the XFL’s cheque book could solve that problem, but potentially at the cost of many of the league’s hallmarks.

The three down league does bring something to the table besides its established Northern presence however, its recent forays into global markets.

“What I like about the alliances they’re forming and I’m hoping this is heading in that direction, is that this XFL/CFL league will start to pull in players from Mexico, football players from Japan, and that is going to say to TV Asahi and NHK, this is interesting, I want to broadcast in Japan one CFL game a week because players X, Y and Z are playing in the league,” Cohen said.

“The leagues that are most successful internationally tend to have players from all parts of the world and that’s the model the XFL and CFL should follow.”

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
https://3downnation.com/2021/03/25/c...nually-report/

CFL-XFL merger media rights could be worth $100 million USD annually: report

There was no question that money is what drew both the XFL and CFL to the bargaining table when the two leagues announced formal talks for future collaboration earlier this month, but just how much could a merged league be worth to broadcasters?

$100 million USD annually apparently, according to one expert.

Daniel Cohen, a senior vice-president of global media rights consulting for New York-based media consulting firm Octagon, dropped that number in conversation with Postmedia’s Dan Barnes.

“If you had the same Canadian markets and the same U.S. markets, and you’re talking about a pretty big league now at that point — you might have to consolidate some of these markets — but if you’re talking about a property that can touch let’s say 30 of the top 60 (designated market areas) across Canada and the U.S., I think you could easily go to market and be asking for $100 million U.S. a year,” Cohen predicted.

That figure doesn’t come close to the 11 year, $113 billion dollar pay day recently announce by the NFL, but it is an improvement on the CFL’s current $50 million CAD deal with TSN. The XFL got primetime showcasing on major networks last time around, but did not receive broadcast revenue.

A combined XFL-CFL league has plenty to offer broadcasters and advertisers that might change that.

“I think one of the interesting things in a combined XFL/CFL merge is now, if you’re a brand or a media partner and you’ve got an interest in accessing Canada, or you’re a Canadian brand and you have interest in accessing the U.S., now it opens up two countries,” Cohen explained.

“The NFL can’t currently do that.”

Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital were selected as the winning bidders last August for all of the assets of Alpha Entertainment LLC, the parent company of the XFL. It cost $15 million and the goal is to make the XFL a stable league in the future.

RedBird Capital brings that to the table with $4 billion in capital, but it’s the star power of The Rock that will bring people in.

“You want to make sure you find the right balance … so this isn’t The Rock’s show because you want to focus on the quality of the sport and the authenticity of the sport and the players on the field. But I absolutely think that there is a storytelling element there where The Rock could certainly be intertwined to immediately raise the awareness of the league and drive immediate attention to the league,” Cohen said.

The CFL has been awarding the Grey Cup for over 100 years. Meanwhile, the original XFL lasted one full season in 2001. The XFL lasted just part of one season before the COVID-19 pandemic put their season on hold, which led to Vince McMahon filing for bankruptcy and selling to Johnson and Garcia.

The CFL was has been wracked by it’s own financial struggles from COVID, losing between $60 and $80 million last year, and the XFL’s cheque book could solve that problem, but potentially at the cost of many of the league’s hallmarks.

The three down league does bring something to the table besides its established Northern presence however, its recent forays into global markets.

“What I like about the alliances they’re forming and I’m hoping this is heading in that direction, is that this XFL/CFL league will start to pull in players from Mexico, football players from Japan, and that is going to say to TV Asahi and NHK, this is interesting, I want to broadcast in Japan one CFL game a week because players X, Y and Z are playing in the league,” Cohen said.

“The leagues that are most successful internationally tend to have players from all parts of the world and that’s the model the XFL and CFL should follow.”
If it means the survival of CFL football, or football in general in this country, then I'm in favour...

So long as it doesn't turn into a minor league "AHL" type of league... But, that's not say the CFL isn't already, considering it is every CFL players aspiration to compete in the best league in the world, and teams, in general, are pretty good wiht allowing players pursue that dream

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada