HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Yeah, it is a dirty trick. It is also a dirty trick by the Liberals to keep teasing him as the next leader without any public interest from Carney or any resignation from Trudeau.
I haven't really seen them tease him as leader. Can you give examples of where the party itself has done that? Most of this seemes like normal political jostling behind the scenes, to me. He did seem interested a year or two ago. I think his interest has waned with the polls.

Nevertheless, is there any precedent for a subpoena like this from the Opposition? And are we all cool making this a norm now?

Old Posted Today, 2:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Trudeau Stooge Tells Canadian Physicians To Fuck Off Yet Again!!!

Quote:
Health Minister Mark Holland says while he is “deeply appreciative” of the work doctors in Canada do, the federal government has no plans to scrap the proposed capital gains tax changes outlined in the latest budget, despite opposition from the Canadian Medical Association (CMA).

“I think that these are fair changes, there's still a lot of tax advantages, advantages accrued to them, that will be maintained and continue,” Holland told CTV’s Question Period host Vassy Kapelos, in an interview airing Sunday.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/heal...stay-1.6864750

The thing is, I have zero faith that JT and the gang are anywhere near finished with changes to the Canadian tax system designed to screw around with personally incorporated professionals. This is about the third change to the tax system since Trudeau became PM specifically (or incidentally) targeting Canadian professionals. There are precious few advantages to incorporation left, but, the costs of maintaining the corporation (legal and accounting fees) remain. I am willing to bet anything that JTs ultimate goal is to eventually increase the capital gains inclusion rate to 100%.

Physicians like myself are screwed. My money is stuck in my corporation. I could sell my stocks and mutual funds now (at the lower rate), but, this would mean paying the tax now rather than later. In either event, JT has probably just cost me about $200,000, decreasing my funded retirement by about 2-3 years. I will counter by working until I am 69 years old.

Those of us already in the system are fucked. My concern is with new physicians just completing residency. If they desire a well funded retirement attainable at a decent age, they very well may consider moving south to an (economically) more sane jurisdiction, where they can work in well equipped hospitals, and in a work environment where their skills and talents are valued and they are considered assets to the hospital (rather than cost centres to be controlled).

I absolutely should have moved to the US in 1995. I now regret changing my mind and staying in Canada.

Old Posted Today, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I wouldn't say the economy is absolutely terrible. It's still a lot better today than say the early 90s recession when my family first got to Canada. There were major layoffs announced in the newspaper weekly back then. What we have right now is growing inequality and economic stagnation for some with a really comfortable life for the rest. You're a tad upset by recent changes made to the tax code. It might cost you an extra year or two of work. Imagine how young people in major cities feel where saving for a downpayment will take 20-25 years. And during that time you have no certainty on housing. Your landlord can renovict you anytime. Bad as you have it, young people have it worse. And it's been that way for a very long time.

A lot of the problems we face here are somewhat common across the Western world. They come with an aging population and lower economic growth in general. Ironically, Trudeau has made this worse specifically because he made a choice to prioritized the interests of the wrinkled over the young and in doing so basically can kicked for a decade, only making it worse. The next government is going to have their work cut out for them. Are they willing to make the hard choices necessary?
I agree with this take.

If there’s failings to the Trudeau government, debt and housing are them.

They’re both insidious ways to hurt the young at no cost to the old. It works in the short term.

We traded in economic complexity at the altar of free trade without the intangible defences employed by many other advanced economies that act as bulwarks. At least we still have an auto industry, unlike the Aussies, who are much farther down the ‘resources uber alles’ road. This was a late Chretien to today brainchild.

Housing disproportionately shot up in price relative to the rest of the economy. Great for the establishment, who had their retirement assets padded. Terrible for those on the ground who just needed shelter and had to pay dearly for that so-called ‘privilege’ that previous generations accepted as standard. This started under Martin, ramped up during Harper and went bananas under Trudeau.

Debt bloomed. What was anathema after the painful Chretien years became ‘acceptable during emergencies’ during the Harper years, then ‘standard operating procedure’ under Trudeau. Covid was the great absolute hurrah. Who pays for this? The grandkids, obviously, because we had to increase OAS handouts and spending on healthcare to keep the old happy. They’ll pay that debt with interest.

Someone once posted that societies that favour the old to exclusion of the young become grotesque vampire-like creatures, feeding on their young to keep themselves comfortable. This is what the Western world is evolving into, and Trudeau is just the enabler for Canada.

Play the game until it falls apart. Western decline isn’t going to be some catastrophic event. It’ll be a walking anemic corpse bled out by its own members. But they got theirs. Sorry kids (not really, because if they were, we would not be here now).

A government that would have my attention would be one that pushes back on all these fronts and puts out the message of sacrificing for a better tomorrow.

Old Posted Today, 2:41 PM

If you think Millennials have it bad, just wait till you see the stats for Alphas. Thanks to killing birth rates of Millennials, we've basically recreated China's One Child Policy in Canada. But we did it with market forces instead of forced sterilization and only for Millennials and younger. So Alphas will have to support record numbers of old people who will arrive at retirement with record public and private debt. Of course, change of government won't do squat because the pretenders/aspirants to the throne keep arguing for more can kicking, with different language.

Old Posted Today, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Play the game until it falls apart. Western decline isn’t going to be some catastrophic event. It’ll be a walking anemic corpse bled out by its own members. But they got theirs. Sorry kids (not really, because if they were, we would not be here now).

A government that would have my attention would be one that pushes back on all these fronts and puts out the message of sacrificing for a better tomorrow.
Added bonus in Canada is that so much of what we're suffering from is bad provincial and municipal policy that gets covered up by jurisdictional squabbling. There's a lot of premiers and mayors in this country getting a pass for their shit because Trudeau is the hate magnet. Their incompetence and recklessness doesn't go away with Trudeau.

Old Posted Today, 2:58 PM

Quote:
If you think Millennials have it bad, just wait till you see the stats for Alphas. Thanks to killing birth rates of Millennials, we've basically recreated China's One Child Policy in Canada. But we did it with market forces instead of forced sterilization and only for Millennials and younger. So Alphas will have to support record numbers of old people who will arrive at retirement with record public and private debt. Of course, change of government won't do squat because the pretenders/aspirants to the throne keep arguing for more can kicking, with different language.
Hence the Ponzi Scheme of expectations arbitrage. It’s the last castle for Canada and a surprisingly robust one. Other places have stronger resistance to this for reasons.

Bet against the locals via opening the floodgates. Whatever, a few young locals drown in the flood. They weren’t good enough swimmers anyway.

The Brits of yore would be proud of the class society their descendants rebuilt in the New World.

Old Posted Today, 3:12 PM

Quote:
This is an interesting take, while simultaneously watching our population explode. While it’s understood that many of the ‘new population’ are not permanent residents, many are. Without data backing this up, are you suggesting that the majority of new population are of ‘the wrinkled contingent’?

Otherwise, your argument doesn’t make sense. Sure, there will be a mountain to climb in paying back the debt rung up by the current generations of politicians, but the concept of supporting record numbers of old people doesn’t add up, unless we are actually importing more older people than younger people currently.

As a solution, what do you propose? How should “Alphas” treat Millennials when they age? All of the boomers and many Xes will be dead and gone by then, and presumably their ‘wealth’ will have been passed on to the Millennials. So what will happen then? Will Millennials fall on the sword to make things better for generations following? Will future governments be able to make the tough choices and screw over the more affluent and powerful older generations at the risk of falling politically? How will this work? These are questions that come to mind whenever I read these discussions.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada