HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:05 AM
maverick

photo by Fenol, continued

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:09 AM
maverick

and a few more

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 6:55 AM
maverick

photo by Nick L 2006

One day round trip from St Petersburg to Valaam Island/ monastery, along Neva River and Ladoga lake

Никольский скит

Спасо-Преображенский собор:

Строится Скит:

На г.Елеон:

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 9:02 PM
maverick

Interestingly, how the mods changed the thread name from "St. Petersburg" to "St. Petersburg, Russia". I deliberately named it the former because it is the only St. Petersburg on the planet that does not need any qualifier. Nobody says "London, UK" just because there is London in Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 11:23 PM
California goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Interestingly, how the mods changed the thread name from "St. Petersburg" to "St. Petersburg, Russia". I deliberately named it the former because it is the only St. Petersburg on the planet that does not need any qualifier. Nobody says "London, UK" just because there is London in Ontario.
There's a St. Petersburg in Florida many forumers here are familiar with. Most forumers here are north american and hence lots of north american cities picture threads get posted here, so with that in mind there should be a qualifier.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 1:31 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
There's a St. Petersburg in Florida many forumers here are familiar with. Most forumers here are north american and hence lots of north american cities picture threads get posted here, so with that in mind there should be a qualifier.
No, there should be no qualifier. It is a vibrant world-class megapolice of 5+ mln people, considered by many one of the most beautiful cities in the world, with rich history standing for no less than Russia becoming an Empire, associated with names such Pushkin and Dostojevskij, Tchajkovskij and Shostakovich, Leonhard Euler and Lomonosov to name a just few, two Revolutions (the latter of which was pivotal event in XXth century history of the whole world), Leningrad blocade, etc. So, despite prevailing attitude of a number of forumers and and provincial mentatlity of some North Americans exemplified by this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juOQhTuzDQ0

this city owns the name "St. Petersburg, no qualifier". From the start, I had considered naming this thread "The St. Petersburg, planet Earth" or possibly "The St. Petersburg", but than decided that this could be potentially provocative, which had not been my intention.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 7:10 PM
California goth

Quote:
No, there should be no qualifier. It is a vibrant world-class megapolice of 5+ mln people, considered by many one of the most beautiful cities in the world, with rich history standing for no less than Russia becoming an Empire, associated with names such Pushkin and Dostojevskij, Tchajkovskij and Shostakovich, Leonhard Euler and Lomonosov to name a just few, two Revolutions (the latter of which was pivotal event in XXth century history of the whole world), Leningrad blocade, etc. So, despite prevailing attitude of a number of forumers and and provincial mentatlity of some North Americans exemplified by this video

this city owns the name "St. Petersburg, no qualifier". From the start, I had considered naming this thread "The St. Petersburg, planet Earth" or possibly "The St. Petersburg", but than decided that this could be potentially provocative, which had not been my intention.
It's nice to know that an addition of one simple word to the topic can set off mindless boosterism and anti-Americanism in some people.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 12:46 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
It's nice to know that an addition of one simple word to the topic can set off mindless boosterism and anti-Americanism in some people.
You argue that this thread should be renamed to accomodate those Americans who have their neurons wired a particular way (or not wired at all). I would like to keep the original name of the thread while having Americans go through inconvenience of rewiring their neurons. Is this anti-Americanism?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 8:45 PM
California goth

Quote:
You argue that this thread should be renamed to accomodate those Americans who have their neurons wired a particular way (or not wired at all). I would like to keep the original name of the thread while having Americans go through inconvenience of rewiring their neurons. Is this anti-Americanism?
I never argued that this thread should be renamed. All I said is I understand why the moderators wanted to change it (by the way how do you know the person who edited isn't European or South American?). But either way I don't care what the topic is called and neither should you.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 12:41 AM

Anyway, St. Petersburg looks great, haven't seen many night shots of it which is neat to see. I should definitely go there sometime.
Transportation

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 1:35 AM
maverick

Konstantinov palace before restoration in 2001, photo by Sergej Grachev/ The St. Petersburg Times

From the 2001 article
http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?acti...story_id=14732

Quote:
By Viktoria Uzdina and Aleksei Germanovich
Vedomosti

The Presidential Administration says the reconstruction of the Konstantinov Palace in Strelnya could cost up to $170,000,000.

The head of the Presidential Administration, Vladimir Kozhin, announced Sunday that the cost of reconstructing the Konstantinov Palace in Strelnya, just outside the city, which has been chosen as the St. Petersburg residence for President Vladimir Putin at $150 million to 170 million. The funds are to coome from private donors, but no major business representatives have yet offered to step forward and help with the project.

Vadim Znamyonov, director of the Petrodvorets museum, in an attempt to save the palace, proposed using the structure as the St. Petersburg presidential residence to Putin's personal administration last fall. The residence itself, looking on to the Gulf of Finland, has an area of 4,800 square meters and was built by the architect Bartholomew Rastrelli. The 240-hectare palace grounds also include a 500-square-meter stable and an array of other surrounding buildings. In 1990 UNESCO included the Konstantinov complex in its list of globally important architectural structures.
I beleive I've seen the number of $300 mln as the price tag for this restoration.

The Palace has been the site of July 2006 G-8 meeting

August 2007, photo by Advocate

First Putin's car and the vehicle used by big bosses to drive around the estate during G-8

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 1:48 AM
maverick

by Pstrykacz from SCC

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:40 AM

Quote:

oh good grief. it doesn't have anything to do with how provincial one is or how grand and huge any particular place is; instead it has everything to do with physical and psychological proximity. it doesn't matter that moscow, for example, is a city 12 or 15 million people if you live in idaho (where there's also a well-known city called moscow), if you live there, you'll qualify moscow, russia when that's what you're talking about. same goes for paris, france if you live in northeast texas. writing from here in portland, oregon (not to be confused with portland, maine, even though the city on the west coast is around ten times larger), where across the river we have a vancouver, washington (which, btw, is where chkalov landed - not vancouver BC), i think you just need to get over yourself. st petersburg - russia or florida - take a look at your audience and qualify when appropriate. who cares? is the point of communication to the get message across - or is it to make a point?

very nice shots, though.

i used to have major issues with st petersburg (russia). for a long time my impression of it was that it was extremely cold, fairly dreary - and the architecture? nice, but merely imported. my fellow students saw baroque palaces; i saw slave-built imitations of germany. my impression wasn't helped when, only the second time i was there - 1994 - we stayed in this dorm behind kazanskiy sobor. it was about 10C below and the heat was off - and the *windows in our room had been open all day*. so i held a grudge against piter. (or at the very least, the cleaning ladies!)

i have to say though that when i visited last spring, i changed my mind. sure, the buildings and canals are still (beautiful) imitations of what was being built in Europe europe, but, compared to moscow, the atmosphere in st petersburg was far more welcoming to a westerner, far more "demokratichniy" (in russian the word has a connotation of "down to earth"). the cafes were cheaper and less pompous. the girls taking orders at the cafe were friendlier and more patient. on a few rare occasions, i saw drivers actually wait for pedestrians (something psychologically impossible in moscow). and, not that i need it, but getting out of the train at ladozhskiy vokzal, there was an impressive amount of signs translated into english, which suggests an openness to the world. back in moscow, at leningradskiy vokzal, there was exactly one sign translated into english: the sign for tickets to helsinki. in other words, "go away".

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:40 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
oh good grief. it doesn't have anything to do with how provincial one is or how grand and huge any particular place is; instead it has everything to do with physical and psychological proximity...
You see, only about 5% of the world population live in physical and psychological proximity to the other St. Petersburg. Is this international forum or not? Why should 95 % of the world population be conditioned to accept attitudes of the 5%?

Quote:
sure, the buildings and canals are still (beautiful) imitations of what was being built in Europe
I beg to differ. If we accept that Russia IS part of Europe - than this is no more imitation of anything than similar architecture built in Europe at the time. Saying that this is imitation is the same as saying that Sir Norman Foster or Zaha Hadid are imitating something rather than doing original work when they make projects for Moscow these days.

Back to pictures.

photo by Dmitri Bakulin from
http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/dim1966/album/11039

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:26 AM
maverick

photo from http://www.czarnota.org by Pstrykacz

a little bit of Hermitage

sala Leonardo da Vinci

jedne z 1786 drzwi

japoński turysta

The Palace Square

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 2:20 AM
maverick

photo by Alexandr Petrosian

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 2:22 AM
maverick

photo by Alexandr Petrosian

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:48 PM
maverick

Obukhovskij Bridge across Neva River, photo by Fenol

during construction

Last edited by anm; Apr 21, 2008 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 2:32 AM
maverick

photo by Fenol

Last edited by anm; Jun 8, 2008 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:27 PM

anm, these are all such great photos!
I am curious about all the buildings from the 1800s in the old St. Petersburg. What were all those buildings used for? Was it mostly apartments or were these office buildings originally?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos