HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 2:24 AM
maverick

photo by Fenol

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Dec 4, 2007 at 2:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 2:31 AM
maverick

photo by Fenol

the thread - Monuments of St Petersburg

commentaries by Fenol are in the original thread

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Dec 4, 2007 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 2:55 AM
maverick

continued

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 3:01 AM
maverick

photo by Fenol

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 3:11 AM
maverick

more monuments by Fenol

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 1:01 AM
maverick

photo by KDK from SCC thread

taken from a U/C bridge

this panorama will radically change after construction of scraper cluster that is being planned (Okhta center)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 1:22 AM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 5:41 AM
maverick

According to proger - Palace of the Soviets

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 9:56 AM

Great.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 7:36 PM

Talking St. Pete

St. Petersburg is beautiful! I enjoyed looking at your great pictures!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Inasmuch as Prussia has been colonized by Germany - yes. St. Petersburg has been started with mainly Dutch/German influences and later got significant contributions from French/Italian architects. Czars wanted capital with European feel, particlularly its founder Peter the Great, Catherine II the Great (of German origin) and Pavel (big fan of German/ Prussian customs). Authentic Russian architecture is engraved in its mostly German fabric.
Well, Prussia is (part of) Germany. Prussia and Russia are completely different places. But yes, I had heard that the Tsar sought to "Europeanize" Russia and this is why he built the new capital of St. Petersburg and invited Germans to settle. So the similar appearance isn't surprising, I just haven't had the opportunity to visit and see it for myself.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 10:53 PM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Well, Prussia is (part of) Germany. Prussia and Russia are completely different places. But yes, I had heard that the Tsar sought to "Europeanize" Russia and this is why he built the new capital of St. Petersburg and invited Germans to settle. So the similar appearance isn't surprising, I just haven't had the opportunity to visit and see it for myself.
Well, Prussia does not exist anymore. Eastern part is absorbed by Poland and Russia, and Western part does not exist as a state. Today at least, it is only a part of Germany's past, although we can never be sure about future.

I do not doubt that Prussia was part of Germany and never suggested that Prussia and Russia were the same thing or place.

I just do not have a good feel for how Prussian architechture is different from Bavarian, Saxon or Austrian (all of them German to me in a greater sense), so to me a lot of St Petersburg architechture looks German but not specifically Prussian. Maybe it is Prussian after all.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
I just do not have a good feel for how Prussian architechture is different from Bavarian, Saxon or Austrian (all of them German to me in a greater sense), so to me a lot of St Petersburg architechture looks German but not specifically Prussian. Maybe it is Prussian after all.
Ahh, well there were certainly regional differences in architecture and still are today, just as northern & southern Italy don't look the same and villages in Normandy look quite different from villages in Provence.

Anyway, nice photos. I'd love to visit some day but haven't made it that far east. Need to do my Baltic Sea tour...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 1:59 AM
maverick

photo from http://aviaforum.ru

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:18 AM
Editor

Those are some great pictures.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 1:09 AM
maverick

photo by vladorlando from SSC thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladorlando
You can t see hear world famous palaces,cathedrals and parks of this splendid city. I d like to show non touristic,regular districts of S Petersburg. Historical districts with buildings of 18-19 cent is placed on tremendous territory -about 100 km2 !! Population of S Petersburg in 1914 was about 2000000 .Dozens fine streets and avenues is out of center city and touristics roots.Many of this local avenues could be prowd of central part of any first class city .

Start from Petrogradka -North district of S Peterburg -this is "new" part of city ,most buildings dated 1850-1900 years

Typical backstreet in this district

Local small cafe

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 1:10 AM
maverick

photo by vladorlando continued

Naval Academy - big building dated 1930-40

Crossing the canal and we are in district built in 1930-1950 .About 6-7 km from center of city :

Budda home

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 4:16 PM

Great spead.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:53 AM
maverick

photo by Fenol from this thread: St. Petersburg. Night Photos.

Last edited by anm; Jan 21, 2008 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:00 AM
maverick

photo by Fenol continued

Last edited by anm; Jan 21, 2008 at 3:14 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos