HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 6:51 PM

It's looking pretty brutalist to me... and not in a good way. These windows and yellow awnings better be good. So far I am not impressed with the design but I am impressed that Winnipeg is getting a highrise out of it.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It's looking pretty brutalist to me... and not in a good way. These windows and yellow awnings better be good. So far I am not impressed with the design but I am impressed that Winnipeg is getting a highrise out of it.
Good to here, 1 outta 2 ain't bad.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I agree with you. This project really isn't doing much for me. Maybe a huge Stalin poster down the side would be fitting.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:51 PM

patience, it'll look good when windows and yellow fin go in!

I can't believe how fast that parkade is going up, everyday there's huge progress.

PS - the WPS Cadets were dealing with 'issues' on Ellice right behind there and beside MEC on 2 out of 3 days on my drive home (430-530 pm). That cannot be good for sales of the condos if potential buyers see that.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Some updated Glasshouse renderings:

from stantec.com

from stantec.com

Centrepoint:

from stantec.com

from stantec.com

from stantec.com

from stantec.com

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 8:10 AM
Transit Nerd

Finally, they're using North American transit buses in renders, instead of European.

Boy, that sure looks nice! Can't wait.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Some updated Glasshouse renderings:

from stantec.com
The sucess of this development is so crucial for North of Portage residential re-development and changing peoples perceptions of living in the downtown area.

I can only hope it has a profound effect on the way many view the area and how it can change attitudes on downtown living.

I consider it a very big test for the viability of further developments of this kind.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 6:09 AM

Windows are starting to go in. Them seem nice and reflective so that should break up the dullness of the facade a bit. Sorry no pics.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:53 AM
ABOVE people like you

Hi there neighbour.....concrete wall.

So.....on Glass House judging by the surrounding buildings are you telling me that the first 5 floors ( 20% ) of the overall units if you exclude the front of the building are facing the concrete wall of the parkade? Side of Alt? or back of that other building?
That's a brutal % of crappy views.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
So.....on Glass House judging by the surrounding buildings are you telling me that the first 5 floors ( 20% ) of the overall units if you exclude the front of the building are facing the concrete wall of the parkade? Side of Alt? or back of that other building?
That's why the proposal with the tower on top of the parkade was better.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 1:17 PM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
That's why the proposal with the tower on top of the parkade was better.

Yes, your right that would have been much better, you could have pulled the tower front wall curtain wall right down to street level to look like 20 story tower only have 15 floors, all with good views. I'm not sure what type of developer would think 20% of crap views is a good thing.

Getting back to the Alt tower.....looking at this 'thing' reminds me of those bombed out buildings they have in the war torn parts of the Middle East.

So, I'm on record as not liking this development at all.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
There aren't any units facing the parkade wall.... The units on that side start on floor 6. There are two units that solely face the side of Alt on floors 3 to 5. On the South side there are 4 units on floors 2 to 5 facing the back of building.

So by my count thats around 20 out of around 200 units or more like 10%. Its my understanding that a lot of the sales are of the lower units, as buyers are planning on renting them out.

Last edited by cheswick; Aug 29, 2014 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:07 PM

What is the developer putting on the north side of floors 1-5? That's a lot of space for "other uses".

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What is the developer putting on the north side of floors 1-5? That's a lot of space for "other uses".
On floors 3 to 5 there will still be a unit facing Hargrave and facing the rear of the builing, the middle section of the north side will be locker space. On the second floor I assume is where the gym and screening room will be located.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 1:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
On floors 3 to 5 there will still be a unit facing Hargrave and facing the rear of the builing, the middle section of the north side will be locker space. On the second floor I assume is where the gym and screening room will be located.
Interesting. It is kind of unfortunate that a project that emphasizes windows so much has so few good views. I mean its great that relatively few units are below the parkade, but being one or two stories above it isn't much better. Likewise, at the other end it would have been so much nicer had it been built directly on portage (as it is depicted in the floor plans posted on their website), rather than tucked in behind that derelict teal building. Doubt the roof of that looks very great from the 7th floor south.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad this project went ahead, but it is unfortunate that certain opportunities were missed. First among them was improving the Hargrave streetscape.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 2:14 AM

That "derelict" teal building is one of the first examples of a glass curtain wall in the city. And a tiny minority of units face it instead of anything else.

Does anyone else remember when this board used to be for discussing architecture and city issues? I'm losing track of whether I'm reading SSP or the sun's comments section lately.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 2:31 AM
surely you agree with me

It was THE first curtain wall building in Winnipeg.

I have to admit I am nervous about the parkade. Never should have been allowed to not have sidewalk interior space. I was never sure what to make of the racing stripes version but it's hard to tell what exactly is going on with the new design. We'll see I guess.

I'm anxious to see glasshouse. It's very basic. That could be awesome in its simplistic beauty or cheap looking. Nice detailing will mean everything.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 3:26 AM

Interesting article (mobile version) on what Edmonton is planning for their version of a downtown SHED

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-...click=sf_globe

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 5:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
That "derelict" teal building is one of the first examples of a glass curtain wall in the city. And a tiny minority of units face it instead of anything else.
The building may be interesting from an engineering point of view, but it seems to be a dud from an urban planning point of view as it is almost entirely vacant and many sections of it are boarded up (I walk past it daily). And while I agree that only 'a tiny minority' of units will have their views completely obscured by this building, nearly half will look out over its roof. Now at some point you get high enough that it doesn't matter, however I'd suggest that far more than a tiny minority of units will be affected. Put another way, glasshouse made sure to omit that building from their floor plans and distort the scale to make it look like it fronts onto Portage directly, so they aren't exactly proud of their location either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Does anyone else remember when this board used to be for discussing architecture and city issues? I'm losing track of whether I'm reading SSP or the sun's comments section lately.
Setting your disrespectful tone aside, it seems you are interested in engineering/architecture but not urban planning. I would suggest to you that the former cannot exist without the latter. Poor urban planning and mostly vacant buildings will do nothing to bring the projects you find interesting to this city. By simply existing glasshouse will bring more density downtown which is a good thing, but other opportunities, such as making Hargrave safer / more inviting, have been set aside, as has the opportunity to replace your empty 'glass curtain' with something that is actually used.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 6:22 AM
surely you agree with me

I'm glad the Dayton Building and the one beside it remain. All buildings lose and gain tennants. It had significant tennants very recently. It will be occupied again. It's hardly derelict and has been a good contributor to the neighbourhood for decades. If the glasshouse developers didn't think it was an issue to look into the back of it who cares? Those units are cheaper. If it was a problem they could have designed the building to accommodate it. Being off portage allowed them to go to the ground with residential.

Over their lifetimes, the Dayton will contributes way more to safety, life on the street etc than the parkade will. It kills an entire city block. Talk about bad 'urban planning'.

What would go in the empty space if glasshouse was on portage? More parkade?

Last edited by trueviking; Aug 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan