HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_eh View Post
Tower crane disappeared over the weekend

Nice photos kent_eh - I think if the Glasshouse ends up anything like its model, its lightness will nicely offset any darkness from this tower… Also the historical facade and fully glassed-in podium will provide more balance...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:27 AM

- poster

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:46 AM
What could go wrong?

I know some here are critical of the finishes on this project and as some have said it may not age well, but I still stand by my assertion that I really like it for downtown. It really breaks up the monotony and blandness that our skyline currently displays. Wait for it to be lit up an fully animated before the final judgement is cast.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:41 AM
surely you agree with me

concern about the colour of the dark EIFS is definitely legitimate....This is some kind of new wall system so hopefully its better than the typical strip mall stuff which fades quite quickly.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
At least the new version has yuppies with lattes and smartphones. That's an upgrade
Smartphone? I think it's a slider or a flip.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:07 AM

I wonder what it would look like if it was more bold in its colouration, saaaaay barn red. Still waiting to see how it contrasts with glasshouse and how it looks in entirety (avec fin)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:24 PM

July 31

The parkade is moving along quickly.

I guess that's the big benefit of building with pre-cast pieces. Just truck 'em in and stack 'em up.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 12:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I know some here are critical of the finishes on this project and as some have said it may not age well, but I still stand by my assertion that I really like it for downtown. It really breaks up the monotony and blandness that our skyline currently displays. Wait for it to be lit up an fully animated before the final judgement is cast.
Agreed. While concerns about how it will age are quite legitimate, I don't think anyone should be concerned about how it looks now (of course we can all have an opinion). Far, far too often in Canada we let everyone have their say about the aesthetics of new buildings- city councillors, neighbors, even people from across the city who have virtually no stake in it. The result is that the only thing that satisfies everyone is a dull, bland, who cares. You cannot make a great design in such a city- great works like the Eiffel tower or Sydney Opera House were once decried by neighbors as eye sores. Thankfully, those cities build them over these objections.

A good contrast to this for those of you who travel and love architecture is the parts of Barcelona from Gaudi's time 100 years ago. They had virtually no rules or approval process and people built their facade however the hell they felt like it. Yes, some of the buildings are ugly and yes, some of them clash with their neighbors, but the end result is one of the most diverse, stimulating urban areas in the world and it is full of gems.

At the end of the day, if you don't like the look of a building, you don't have to live there. But please refrain from supporting any laws/legislation telling other people what they can and cannot build on their own properties (I'm talking about aesthetics here, not zoning- ie. building height- which is obviously important to have rules about).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 9:52 PM

Does anybody know if they're building the parkade to allow for a future condo tower on the north end like in the original plans? Or is that scrapped?

They ditched the street level retail... that corner is gonna be pretty brutal now.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 1:40 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Does anybody know if they're building the parkade to allow for a future condo tower on the north end like in the original plans? Or is that scrapped?

They ditched the street level retail... that corner is gonna be pretty brutal now.
Scrapped.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:33 AM

Any street level retail or condominium was going to be a tough sell there anyway. There are far more problems in that North Portage area than there are for the prospects of South Portage and the Exchange. It might of been better with it there but I bet they ran into problems and were advised against it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 5:28 AM
surely you agree with me

Considering the public investment in the parkade it is disappointing that the retail storefronts were deleted. It should really be against downtown design guidelines to build a parkade to the sidewalk.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Considering the public investment in the parkade it is disappointing that the retail storefronts were deleted. It should really be against downtown design guidelines to build a parkade to the sidewalk.
Agreed, especially when its along two streets, and both have storefronts across the street.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Agreed, especially when its along two streets, and both have storefronts across the street.
And it's also especially disappointing considering a number of viable businesses were located in storefronts there prior to the development of the parkade.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
And it's also especially disappointing considering a number of viable businesses were located in storefronts there prior to the development of the parkade.
Centre Venture has the control.

They approved whatever the Chipmans want.

They vacated the Exchange and moved beside the Jets so the could mingle with the millionaires and billionaires.

CV gave up on Waterfront/Exchange many years ago.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
This is what bugs me. They could/should have worked in something where the previous business still had space available to them.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Really? There’s empty storefronts all over that area. Expensive units available along Portage and cheaper units all along ellie and side streets. Looks like crap seeing all those empty spots.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Really? There’s empty storefronts all over that area. Expensive units available along Portage and cheaper units all along ellie and side streets. Looks like crap seeing all those empty spots.
Yes, but so what? The businesses along Hargrave simply disappeared. Where did they go? The parkade replaced a number of viable street level businesses. Hargrave will now be a dead zone dominated by a parkade (except in the fantasy render, where the street will be teeming with late clutching yuppies). This is disappointing considering the public subsidy that went into the development. When public money is involved, I think the public has a right to be disappointed when the development destroys rather that adds to the vibrancy of the street.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, but so what? The businesses along Hargrave simply disappeared. Where did they go? The parkade replaced a number of viable street level businesses. Hargrave will now be a dead zone dominated by a parkade (except in the fantasy render, where the street will be teeming with late clutching yuppies). This is disappointing considering the public subsidy that went into the development. When public money is involved, I think the public has a right to be disappointed when the development destroys rather that adds to the vibrancy of the street.
It is sad that virtually nothing ever gets built in downtown Winnipeg without something being demolished to make way for it, as opposed to building on a site that has been a vacant lot for over a decade. There are some exceptions to that rule, but there are very, very few of them.

For all the downtown development that has occurred since the turn of the century, the number of surface parking spaces has barely budged. The WCC expansion is probably the first solid dent in that overall total since 2000.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

For all the downtown development that has occurred since the turn of the century, the number of surface parking spaces has barely budged. The WCC expansion is probably the first solid dent in that overall total since 2000.
Steady as she goes. WCC is one lot, SoPo potentially is 2. SkyCity, who knows, is three.
Winnipeg has a way to go, but it is finally moving in the right direction.

Although the Alt/GH parkade is not ideal it again shows forward movement after as you say a decade at least of stagnation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan