HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The rail park is seeking assistance from Philadelphia residents to help it become a reality:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...7&e=8459153689

I will be donating. I hope everyone here will consider giving something.
I just donated $100 to this important project. I expect to donate a larger chunk of change later this year.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 7:29 PM

Anybody know what's going on with the Atlantic Building project next to the Kimmel Center (across from the Wilma) and its current timetable for completion?

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...ntic-building/

It is a mixed use Post Brothers project and Vinoly is the architect. Luxury apartments with ground floor retail. Most recent public update (the sign out front) says completion was to be 11/2014.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Anybody know what's going on with the Atlantic Building project next to the Kimmel Center (across from the Wilma) and its current timetable for completion?

It is a mixed use Post Brothers project and Vinoly is the architect. Luxury apartments with ground floor retail. Most recent public update (the sign out front) says completion was to be 11/2014.
Apparently the Atlantic Building was to be sold to MacLean.

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...ig-profit.html

But did not go through. Not sure what the current plan and timetable is.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Apparently the Atlantic Building was to be sold to MacLean.

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...ig-profit.html

But did not go through. Not sure what the current plan and timetable is.
Post Brothers is proceeding with the conversion, although its obviously behind schedule now due to the failed sale of the property. You can see some signs of work if you look up when walking by or check all the permit signs on the ground floor.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
The rail park is seeking assistance from Philadelphia residents to help it become a reality:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...7&e=8459153689

I will be donating. I hope everyone here will consider giving something.
I would consider donating if I could be 100% sure that my money would be going to the elevated rail park and in no way be contributing to the ridiculous underground tunnel "park". Unfortunately the donation site says this:

Quote:
Make a tax-deductible donation today to help us break ground on Phase 1 of the park and to support our ongoing efforts towards building a three-mile park and recreation path through center city Philadelphia.
I really wish the Viaduct project hadn't gotten mixed up with the tunnel park whack jobs.

Quote:

I work nearby and hear demo noises on a regular basis. It sounds like they're still gutting the inside (and dumping materials down whatever those exterior tubes are called. Walking by at night when the inside is all light up is pretty interesting. You can see the bare bones of the building inside. It's actually quite beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I would consider donating if I could be 100% sure that my money would be going to the elevated rail park and in no way be contributing to the ridiculous underground tunnel "park".
Doesn't the website say that right now they are only focusing on Phase 1 which is the above ground portion called the SEPTA Spur?

I also wish they would have a more unified and descriptive name for the project. I've seen it called the Reading Viaduct, the Rail Park, and other names which are not the best IMO. Why not call it the "Philadelphia Viaduct" or something of that nature? The name "Reading" has little descriptive meaning to any outsider who doesn't care about the Reading Railroad, and the name Rail Park is so bland. The words "Philadelphia Viaduct" are similar enough to the words "New York High Line" that it may make same connection in a persons brain but it is different enough to make it sound like it's own thing.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I would consider donating if I could be 100% sure that my money would be going to the elevated rail park and in no way be contributing to the ridiculous underground tunnel "park". Unfortunately the donation site says this:

I really wish the Viaduct project hadn't gotten mixed up with the tunnel park whack jobs.

I work nearby and hear demo noises on a regular basis. It sounds like they're still gutting the inside (and dumping materials down whatever those exterior tubes are called. Walking by at night when the inside is all light up is pretty interesting. You can see the bare bones of the building inside. It's actually quite beautiful.
Thanks for the info on the Atlantic Building (and 1487 too). I think it will be a great property when complete. I wonder when that will be. They haven't changed the signs which say November 2014 (obviously not). As far as the Rail Park, agreed. You unfortunately can't pick and choose where the money will go. I am hoping the tunnel park does not happen. I don't think it's too late for that to be scrapped. I did tell some Board members of the non-profit working on this that I know that I think it's a terrible idea.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble
Whatever those exterior tubes are called.
Trash chutes.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Trash chutes.
These are temporary I hope...I hope trash shoots for residents will be internal. I've never seen such obvious and obtrusive ones. Really ruins the look of the building from the back

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
These are temporary I hope...I hope trash shoots for residents will be internal. I've never seen such obvious and obtrusive ones. Really ruins the look of the building from the back
Temporary external trash chutes are used in multi-story building renovations all the time (primarily for demolition and construction debris). Guess you're just not the trash connoisseur we all thought you were.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 5:23 PM

It might seem small, but this news that a Cherry Hill prorperty management company bought the L3 building in downtown Camden is kinda huge. It gets a big building out of the hands of a development corporation and into the hands of a real property manager, one who thinks "there will be more projects coming into Camden" and that "over the next four to five years, this whole area is going to be filled up".

Quote:
L3 building sale important to Camden turnaround
Jim Walsh, Courier-Post 9:26 a.m. EST January 5, 2015

A Cherry Hill commercial landlord is poised to play a role in Camden's turnaround effort.

Howard Needleman, who oversees a portfolio of more than 60 suburban sites, has acquired the L3 Communications Building between Market and Federal streets near the city's Waterfront.

The $35 million deal, which closed Dec. 30, came after two employers — Lockheed Martin Corp. and Cooper Health System — agreed to move hundreds of workers to the site in exchange for lucrative tax breaks.

The transaction was the largest ever for Needleman, who anticipates additional deals in the downtown business district.
Full article: http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...ound/21274041/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
It might seem small, but this news that a Cherry Hill prorperty management company bought the L3 building in downtown Camden is kinda huge. It gets a big building out of the hands of a development corporation and into the hands of a real property manager, one who thinks "there will be more projects coming into Camden" and that "over the next four to five years, this whole area is going to be filled up".

Full article: http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...ound/21274041/
It's a big deal. And, while I would rather see these companies reside or establish offices in Philly itself, I think it's actually very good for Philly too. I know that New Jersey would like to see many employees live in Camden. But I think many, particularly younger ones, will live in Philly. Especially before any 'revitalization' of Camden really takes hold. Most of these companies are moving existing workers from other spots in Jersey that are somewhat close. Like Moorestown for Lockheed Martin. So many families and older people living in nearby suburbs will probably stay where they are.

(But I am a bit concerned that Camden will successfully lure some Philly companies as opposing to just reshuffling workers from Jersey suburbs. Hopefully that will not be the case...)

Last edited by jsbrook; Jan 6, 2015 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 4:39 PM

I work across the street from the L3 Building. Lockheed is moving 150 of their people there I believe. Things are moving pretty quick in this corner of the waterfront.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
I work across the street from the L3 Building. Lockheed is moving 150 of their people there I believe. Things are moving pretty quick in this corner of the waterfront.
Oh wow, interesting. They're actually moving 250 jobs between two buildings: the L3 Building and the Waterfront Technology Center on Federal Street. And Cooper's bringing over 350 jobs to the area too.

(Btw, if rum is your thing, you should really check out Cooper River Distillers at 4th & Market some time (they have events all the time - http://cooperriverdistillers.com/CRD/?page_id=402). James Yoakum, who runs the place, is a great dude, super passionate about what he's doing in a space you'd never think could be turned into a rum distillery.)

(And if art's your thing, the Third Thursday Arts Crawl is a fun event put on by William Butler at Gallery One Eleven near the Rutgers fields - http://art11one.com/3rd-thursday/. That's another really passionate outfit about bringing things downtown.)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Oh wow, interesting. They're actually moving 250 jobs between two buildings: the L3 Building and the Waterfront Technology Center on Federal Street. And Cooper's bringing over 350 jobs to the area too.

(Btw, if rum is your thing, you should really check out Cooper River Distillers at 4th & Market some time (they have events all the time - http://cooperriverdistillers.com/CRD/?page_id=402). James Yoakum, who runs the place, is a great dude, super passionate about what he's doing in a space you'd never think could be turned into a rum distillery.)

(And if art's your thing, the Third Thursday Arts Crawl is a fun event put on by William Butler at Gallery One Eleven near the Rutgers fields - http://art11one.com/3rd-thursday/. That's another really passionate outfit about bringing things downtown.)
Yeah I work in the Waterfront Tech Center. Webimax moved a bunch of people into this building recently. Like 100 or something. I didn't know any of the Lockheed guys were moving in here though.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Temporary external trash chutes are used in multi-story building renovations all the time (primarily for demolition and construction debris). Guess you're just not the trash connoisseur we all thought you were.

Ha. I guess I'm not! They are so bad I thought they must be temporary, but I wasn't sure. Glad to hear!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah I work in the Waterfront Tech Center. Webimax moved a bunch of people into this building recently. Like 100 or something. I didn't know any of the Lockheed guys were moving in here though.
Ah cool. Wait, I thought Webimax was moving to the Ferry Terminal building? Huh.

As for Lockheed, yep it's part of their move:

Quote:
The incentive, approved Monday through the Grow New Jersey Assistance Program, would see Lockheed Martin creating two "fully integrated" laboratory facilities in the exiting L-3 building and the Waterfront Technology Center in Camden. The 250 jobs, described as "at risk" by the EDA, will be transferred by the company from its Moorestown location.
Speaking of the tech center, Technically Philly did a piece a few weeks ago on the coworking/incubator space in the building and had some interesting things to say about it being revamped: "A merger between business incubators run by Drexel and Rutgers, and a little forward thinking, gave birth to the Camden CoLab. The space is about one-third full, but a forthcoming renovation aims to attract more startups."

http://technical.ly/philly/2014/12/0...y-partnership/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Ah cool. Wait, I thought Webimax was moving to the Ferry Terminal building? Huh.
I think that is eventually the plan, but that space wasn't ready quite yet or something like that.

Quote:
Speaking of the tech center, Technically Philly did a piece a few weeks ago on the coworking/incubator space in the building and had some interesting things to say about it being revamped: "A merger between business incubators run by Drexel and Rutgers, and a little forward thinking, gave birth to the Camden CoLab. The space is about one-third full, but a forthcoming renovation aims to attract more startups."

http://technical.ly/philly/2014/12/0...y-partnership/
Yup, that's the floor I work on, but I've been here for seven years.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
33rd and Chestnut Drexel Hotel, to simply be called "The Study at University City," has been approved by the Planning Commission.

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/201...ersity-campus/
Demolition notice is up on the door of the existing building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:
I think that is eventually the plan, but that space wasn't ready quite yet or something like that.
Ohhhhhh interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development