HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 3:44 PM

I don't know if it was just barber shop talk...but my barber last week told me that a developer purchased the parking lot across the street from St. Augustine Cathedral on the SE corner of Stone/Ochoa and a 5-story apt building was going to be constructed...

I haven't had the time to confirm...but has anyone heard about this?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:03 PM

Not sure if it's the same people, but there has been an interested group for years looking to develop that parking lot. They wanted to turn it into a spanish style plaza with mixed-use along the edges. Bob Vint did some renderings: http://capla.arizona.edu/album/plaza...tion=node/1708

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:19 PM

Maybe it was in reference to the Rally Point apartments, which will be a renovation of 101 South Stone.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Maybe it was in reference to the Rally Point apartments, which will be a renovation of 101 South Stone.
The neighbors are objecting to the construction of this subsidized housing project claiming it will damage the "historic" nature of the long abandoned, run down, Downtowner Motel. It's "Keep Tucson Shitty" at work.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
The neighbors are objecting to the construction of this subsidized housing project claiming it will damage the "historic" nature of the long abandoned, run down, Downtowner Motel. It's "Keep Tucson Shitty" at work.
That's ridiculous. I'm assuming by Rally Point, it's in reference to the organization that works with veterans. I work for a behavioral health agency in town and Rally Point does some fine work in our community.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
That's a different subsidized project near 5 Points.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Oh. I thought it was the Downtowner property. Sorry.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 3:11 PM

Rio Nuevo approves deal for major downtown project

An 8.5-acre dirt lot near the Tucson Convention Center could finally see some life.

The Rio Nuevo Board unanimously approved a contract for Allan Norville, manager of Nor-Generations, to purchase and develop the parcel along Granada Avenue, east of Interstate 10 and north of Cushing Street.

The vote ended about five months of arduous negotiations and opened the possibility of private development on the dormant western edge of downtown.

But Rio Nuevo Chairman Fletcher McCusker said the board didn’t just turn over the land to Norville so he could keep it an empty lot.

“With Rio Neuvo’s legacy of incomplete projects, we didn’t feel we could do that,” McCusker said. “We wanted to assure the community, but moreover the state Legislature because this is tax money, that the property will be developed.”

McCusker said the board insisted on, and received, “stringent development terms” as part of the agreement.

“We wanted him to commit to millions of dollars of additional development. We wanted him to commit to an acceptable period of time” to reach milestones, McCusker said. “We wanted him to commit to damages in the event that those benchmarks were not made.”

McCusker said it was a hard pill to swallow for a developer to agree to those terms.

“We can say that we’ve come to an agreement that we believe achieves all that,” he said.

Norville’s roughly $100 million project includes a 140-room hotel, a 96-unit apartment complex and visual arts center, housing three museums — gem and mineral, photography and art — and a theater.

In addition, Norville would build a 120,000-square-foot exhibition hall on his own property next to the 8.5-acre parcel land. Norville will pay about $5.6 million to the district for the land.

He now has up to 120 days to close on the property. After that, he has six months to submit a development plan to the city.

Once the city accepts Norville’s plans, the Greyhound bus station, which currently operates on the property, will have one year to relocate, with the city picking up the costs.

After Greyhound relocates, Norville will have 3.5 years to invest at least $10 million in hard construction costs on the property or he must pay Rio Nuevo $2.5 million in damages.

McCusker said a penalty offers more incentive for Norville to develop the property than just returning it to the district if he doesn’t perform.

“We traded the reversion clause with these stiff damages,” McCusker said. “We went with a big number there to compel him to develop it.”

Patti Norville Spector of Nor-Generations said her group was pleased a deal was struck and is looking forward to starting development on the long-vacant property.

http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-an...e6403d4af.html

-------------------------------------------------

So we are looking at a completed project by 2021...That's way too long.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 3:51 PM

The end of this article reflects my take on the Rio Nuevo Nor-Gen "finalized" deal.

http://realestatedaily-news.com/time...o-nuevo-board/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:06 PM

A few small good news projects for downtown. Small apartment complex being renovated into boutique hotel. https://www.facebook.com/TheDowntownClifton

According to Zocalo Magazine, 5 row houses coming for Barrio Santa Rosa. "Espiritu de Santa Rosa". Looking good.

New restaurants opening soon. Pie Bird Cafe in Transamerica Bldg, https://www.facebook.com/piebirdbakeryandcafe

And www.nookdowntown.com at Stone/Congress where V Thai used to be.

Former Cantera Stone retail store being gutted and renovated at 16th/Stone. Don't know what's going to be there.

Developer wanting to build 5 townhouses on empty lot next to Jewish Museum, but a couple neighbors objecting because they don't want neighbors.

Last edited by Azstar; Feb 3, 2015 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 3:56 PM

Great info. I love this forum and have been reading it for years. Thanks to all you regular posters.

A friend of a friend of mine is building their new private residence out of the old Cantera Stone retail store at 16th/stone. Looks like they are going to town on that project, just keeping a few of the original walls. The cool thing about this project is that the owners are moving from a nice home in Northwest Tucson and are investing serious $$ Downtown.

"neighbors not wanting neighbors" great line. Gotta love those NIMBYs, once they move into a neighborhood, they want to close the doors to anyone else, or to any change.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 4:45 PM

Salvation Army Hospitality House 02-08-15

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:20 PM

Looks like that Gem Show Expo center has sold 15ish units so far. Needs 40 sold in order to go to construction.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/2...-show-location

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Looks like that Gem Show Expo center has sold 15ish units so far. Needs 40 sold in order to go to construction.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/2...-show-location
This, in my opinion, is one of the best development projects the city has had so far. This is a beautiful building and will enhance the drive along I-10. The economic signs are very good too. After all these years of the gem show, it's finally becoming a permanent fixture in our community. Tucson is where gem enthusiasts want to be.
Eliminating the tents from the city will be the be the highlight of the year

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
This, in my opinion, is one of the best development projects the city has had so far. This is a beautiful building and will enhance the drive along I-10. The economic signs are very good too. After all these years of the gem show, it's finally becoming a permanent fixture in our community. Tucson is where gem enthusiasts want to be.
Eliminating the tents from the city will be the be the highlight of the year
I agree. I am hoping they are able to sell the remaining units needed to begin construction. I am actually surprised the Gem Show has remained as strong as it has. The tents and the hotel-->retail conversion each year just seems so low class. A development like this will result in an overall better experience for everyone.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 3:42 PM

Downtown Statistics

More information on downtown's revitalization. 97% occupancy rate for downtown apartments and a 94% occupancy rate for downtown retail space. It's amazing how far things have come!

http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-con...own-Report.pdf

http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-con...ber-2014-3.pdf

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I agree. I am hoping they are able to sell the remaining units needed to begin construction. I am actually surprised the Gem Show has remained as strong as it has. The tents and the hotel-->retail conversion each year just seems so low class. A development like this will result in an overall better experience for everyone.
I doubt the large, and growing, homeless camp is adding much prestige to this event. I've spoken to over half a dozen people who say they won't return due to a) lack of any hotel accommodations near the convention center, and b) the boxes, piles of trash, and feces around Veinte de Agosto Park. Tucson apparently doesn't have any ordinances or laws prohibiting people from living, crapping, and loitering in city parks and streets. Almost every other city does, as far as I know. It's really not acceptable, however you may feel about addicts and bums who refuse to go to shelters and choose life on the streets.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Things_Downtown View Post
More information on downtown's revitalization. 97% occupancy rate for downtown apartments and a 94% occupancy rate for downtown retail space. It's amazing how far things have come!

http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-con...own-Report.pdf

http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-con...ber-2014-3.pdf
Thanks for posting. Curious if/how the retail and apartment vacancy rates will affect the speed of development. Office vacancy is still pretty high across the spectrum but the Class A & B rates are relatively comparable to many other major markets based on some quick research. The Class C rate versus the Class A & B rates would seem to indicate that redevelopment of some of those properties would be profitable.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 10:39 PM

Large rectangular holes (windows) are being cut into the building at the west end of the Thrify Block, so something is actually happening. Is there a final design for this location?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdd View Post
Large rectangular holes (windows) are being cut into the building at the west end of the Thrify Block, so something is actually happening. Is there a final design for this location?

This is the latest I have seen mentioned but I am not sure if this is the final design. http://www.bourncompanies.com/projec...ucson-project/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest