HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
1949? He may as well have had 666 appear on his forehead for how ominous that number is to me, ha!

Oh Merciful Christ.......don't tell me you follow Malone's take on Confederation do ya.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
1949? He may as well have had 666 appear on his forehead for how ominous that number is to me, ha!
bahahha I know right? I was thinking "what an interesting number ahhahaha"

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:21 PM

I thought he was talking about the year or something, but it was the number of votes poor Markie got, haha. What a strange number! If he shares similar views to O'Leary, maybe that's foreshadowing to the amount of votes she'll get

Too bad Ron didn't get in. Oh well, hopefully he'll get it as deputy mayor this year! He is running, isn't he??

Can you imagine O'Leary as mayor and Ron Ellsworth as deputy mayor?? I don't know either but I can't imagine they see eye to eye!

Last edited by Townie709; Jan 3, 2013 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I thought he was talking about the year or something, but it was the number of votes poor Markie got, haha. What a strange number! If he shares similar views to O'Leary, lets hope that's foreshadowing to the amount of votes she'll get

Too bad Ron didn't get in. Oh well, hopefully he'll get it as deputy mayor this year! He is running, isn't he??

Can you imagine O'Leary as mayor and Ron Ellsworth as deputy mayor?? I don't know either but I can't imagine they see eye to eye!

Do you remember the Shannie & Andy Hour......that's what it was referred to.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:39 PM

Haha, yeah I guess it would be pretty similar to that! Too bad Andy Wells left. He was a good mayor

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Haha, yeah I guess it would be pretty similar to that! Too bad Andy Wells left. He was a good mayor
It would be 100 times more comical.

I have the utmost respect for Mr. Wells.........He knew the right time to get out of council, he had the foresight to see what we needed to become in St. John's and because he didn't necessarily agree with it 100% of the time he realized it had to be done. Prime Example the heated debacle over Memorial Stadium.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I wish Danny would run for Mayor.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:

On that we agree 100% He would be ideal for Mayor.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
YES! He would win by a landslide, but something tells me he is done with politics. Really, would it be right for him to approve all his own developments like the multi-billion dollar development in Southlands.

Maybe he'll be the new Governor General appointed by the queen in a few months haha, but I think mayor is "beneath him"

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I agree that Mayor is beneath him (not saying he's too snobby for it, I mean it objectively, even from the outside looking in) - and I think that's part of the problem. We need people like Danny Williams and Naheed Nenshi running cities. It shouldn't be a position for relative amateurs.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree that Mayor is beneath him (not saying he's too snobby for it, I mean it objectively, even from the outside looking in) - and I think that's part of the problem. We need people like Danny Williams and Naheed Nenshi running cities. It shouldn't be a position for relative amateurs.

OH Nenshi would be perfect for here! Absolutely Perfect.

I'd even Settle for Dean MacDonald as mayor.

We have had enough of "amateurs" running this city.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:25 PM

I hate to say it, but I think O'Leary has a serious shot at winning. Look at the two elections in 2011 (federal and provincial), NDP swept the city in both. Like it or not, our city is politically trending rubber boots and bracelets and she has six local MHA's/MP's and a national party that openly support her.

I've lived under NDP representation provincially and federally for years (Signal Hill-Quidi Vidi and St. John's East, respectively) but at least they've been a vocal minority without power. I will definitely be working to keep them from controlling City Hall.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
I hate to say it, but I think O'Leary has a serious shot at winning. Look at the two elections in 2011 (federal and provincial), NDP swept the city in both. Like it or not, our city is politically trending rubber boots and bracelets and she has six local MHA's/MP's and a national party that openly support her.

I've lived under NDP representation provincially and federally for years (Signal Hill-Quidi Vidi and St. John's East, respectively) but at least they've been a vocal minority without power. I will definitely be working to keep them from controlling City Hall.

I respect your MP however NOT that other one, I fear for this province if that ever gets elected Premier.

I might be wrong here but I feel the wave of rubber boots and orange crush will not be here come the next election both federally or provincially as I feel the influx of support had a lot to do with Jack Layton (a man who I held the upmost respect for). We have already seen Muclair's take on Oil & Gas and I for one DO NOT want to see NL go back to the way we were before Oil & Gas.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:35 PM

Quote:

I don't think this is actually anything to do with NDP .. personally I really support the NDP but her views in MUNICIPAL politics have no place here .. it's not indicative of the NDP nor does not building up have anything to do with the NDP's ideology .. she will just get her buds to run with her who happen to be NDP and ride the popularity of the party .. while people should be careful and realize this is not a provincial legislature nor a federal one .. it is a council of individuals ..

I hate that people are saying it's the NDP because in reality its just her buddies that support the NDP. and she's trying to ride the wave IMO

ok maybe the NDP provincially isn't exactly what I support but that's neither here nor there, their Ideology and what they stand for actually have nothing to do with this whole conversation .. they actually stand for sustainability and things like great public transit etc. NOT putting a developmental ceiling on the DT of a thriving capital forcing it to expand outwards

Last edited by jeddy1989; Jan 3, 2013 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I don't think this is actually anything to do with NDP .. personally I really support the NDP but her views in MUNICIPAL politics have no place here .. it's not indicative of the NDP nor does not building up have anything to do with the NDP's ideology .. she will just get her buds to run with her who happen to be NDP and ride the popularity of the party .. while people should be careful and realize this is not a provincial legislature nor a federal one .. it is a council of individuals ..

I hate that people are saying it's the NDP because in reality its just her buddies that support the NDP. and she's trying to ride the wave IMO

ok maybe the NDP provincially isn't exactly what I support but that's neither here nor there, their Ideology and what they stand for actually have nothing to do with this whole conversation .. they actually stand for sustainability and things like great public transit etc. NOT putting a developmental ceiling on the DT of a thriving capital forcing it to expand outwards
:
We see it as NDP due to the fact that 99% of those who oppose everything being built DT are NDP supporters or or have been elected to the NDP party.

Yes I know that "provincally" it is not their mandate however once you get the same political stripes in municipal politics you will have a council that shares the feelings as the party and that will not be good for a Capital City.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that if O'Leary gets elected this year, the very next budget would include a drastic increase in business tax, and that is something we as a city can not afford to happen at the present time.

Last edited by jeddy1989; Jan 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:

NDP's Mulcair supports O'Leary for St. John's mayor
O'Leary pleased but not officially in the race
CBC News Posted: May 13, 2012 10:51 AM NT

St. John's city coun. Sheilagh O'Leary received a surprising endorsement last night at federal NDP fundraising dinner.

During his speech, federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair suggested she’ll be a candidate the next time the capital city elects a mayor.

"I will be back to help make sure that Sheilagh O'Leary is the next mayor of St. John's,” said the federal opposition leader.
O'Leary, who has not announced she will run for the position, said the unexpected praise was a great honour but stopped short of saying she wants the job.

"It's just incredible that he would have the kind of confidence in me to run for the office of mayor but no, no official status as of yet," she said."But absolutely, I am thinking about it."

If she does decide to run, a federal leader will be in her corner. Mulcair said O'Leary is an extraordinary politician.

"She'll be able to count on the support of a lot of people in this room, including myself,” he said.

O’Leary, 47, was first elected to city council in Sept. 2009. At the time, she received more votes (24,056) than any other candidate running for a councillor-at-large position.

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...leary-513.html

But jeddy, it's not O'Leary and her buds just happening to be NDP. For the first time, we'll see a national party machine overtly campaigning in our municipal election. If it was just O'Leary and her buds drumming at Harbourside Park, I wouldn't be as concerned.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:

But jeddy, it's not O'Leary and her buds just happening to be NDP. For the first time, we'll see a national party machine overtly campaigning in our municipal election. If it was just O'Leary and her buds drumming at Harbourside Park, I wouldn't be as concerned.
Bahahahahaha I love that line!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:05 PM

Quote:

lol yeah I remember that, but she knows how to move people based on emotions, you have to understand that .. so a 20 minute conversation of her saying oh im "young" and hold your views and blah blah blah and he has ZERO clue with the issues in the city lol how could he? you think he's worried about our city's issues when he's facing harper on a daily basis?

that's more of what she's done with the public on the fence issue, and he probably truly thinks she's spot on based on how she "convinces" people

Last edited by jeddy1989; Jan 3, 2013 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
lol yeah I remember that, but she is a snake and is like a cult leader, you have to understand that .. so a 20 minute conversation of her saying oh im "young" and hold your views and blah blah blah and he has ZERO clue with the issues in the city lol how could he? you think he's worried about our city's issues when he's facing harper on a daily basis?

that's more of what she's done with the public on the fence issue, and he probably truly thinks she's spot on based on how she "convinces" people

OMFG........Someone here who hates O'Leary as much as I do.......

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oy... this isn't directed at anyone in particular - I've even been guilty of it regarding other people myself, but:

I wish you all wouldn't speak that way about O'Leary. We can disagree with her views without insulting her personally. Imagine how she would feel if she read all these posts?

I think if we debate as though council is reading, we'll have a much more intellectual and worthwhile debate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's