HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post

This looks like some background building in a low budget facist sci-fi movie set in Bratislava

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 9:01 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
This looks like some background building in a low budget facist sci-fi movie set in Bratislava
This is an ultra conservative part of the country where tradition and convention hold sway. Irving is a stalwart old money firm and Saint John has been flat lining for decades. I'd rather they build something that speaks to the pre-war architecture of downtown Saint John as it's not about to turn into a city of glass towers any time soon.

Build a glass tower and it will stick out like a sore thumb forever. This is a handsome elegant building that works with the downtown heritage buildings around it. Saint John is a very old city, once 5th largest in Canada. It's not some upstart Johnny come lately like Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
So you don't like it then?

I think it works for Saint John. It should fit in well and it has a certain stately elegance to it. I'd prefer it if the footprint were a little smaller and the building a few storeys taller, but it's OK as is... definitely has that old-money corporate HQ look to it. It would fit in on University Ave in Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:28 AM

Stantec Tower and the Ice District development in Edmonton.

Source: https://twitter.com/Stantec

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:34 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

That looks awesome!

More Toronto...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:44 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I wonder if Edmonton will see more highrises in the north end with the airport gone. IIRC it's mostly lowrises and wharehouses up there right?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:45 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Holy guacamole!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung
This is an ultra conservative part of the country where tradition and convention hold sway. Irving is a stalwart old money firm and Saint John has been flat lining for decades. I'd rather they build something that speaks to the pre-war architecture of downtown Saint John as it's not about to turn into a city of glass towers any time soon.

Build a glass tower and it will stick out like a sore thumb forever. This is a handsome elegant building that works with the downtown heritage buildings around it. Saint John is a very old city, once 5th largest in Canada. It's not some upstart Johnny come lately like Vancouver.
Yes, because the only alternative to a Third Reich knockoff is a glass tower - from Vancouver no less

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:31 AM

Upstart Johnny come lately

This forum has been gold today!

I always love the people who assume dleung is some Vancouver civic booster...

Could not be further from the truth. He is just as critical towards architecture in Vancouver as he is anywhere else.

And yes, that proposal is the definition of white noise IMO. Not offensive, but really not much of anyhting.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
More Toronto...
Great job, Koops!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 12:18 PM

I hope that BIG building is clad in stone, quartz, or a composite stone.

Exposed concrete looks cheap 90% of the time.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:34 PM
gettin' rich!

Mock up looks really good.. But there still looks to be a lot of space left to develop in particular the Entertainment District (the gap between Picasso and Studio condos looks huge) could use a few more proposals... I know that condos don't sell well there really, but still. If that area beefs up, its slowly shifting the core of the city west.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:45 PM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I wonder if Edmonton will see more highrises in the north end with the airport gone. IIRC it's mostly lowrises and wharehouses up there right?
Nope residential low rises on airport land Future highrises will run from 124 st west of downtown to 87 street jasper and as high north from about 99th - 104 ave

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyisnolimit View Post
Nope residential low rises on airport land Future highrises will run from 124 st west of downtown to 87 street jasper and as high north from about 99th - 104 ave
Well it kind of depends on what is meant by "north end". If we're talking about what is typically called "North edge" as the neighbourhoods immediately north of downtwown... I'd say quite possibly, at least in vicinity of 105/106 Ave. There is the strip of older industrial development north of MacEwan dating back from the rail line. I know there are some ideas floating around for a few decent sized buildings along there.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:34 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Could not be further from the truth. He is just as critical towards architecture in Vancouver as he is anywhere else.

And yes, that proposal is the definition of white noise IMO. Not offensive, but really not much of anyhting.
He is a massive supporter of Vancouverism and novelty architecture. No surprise he has been critical of the direction in Vancouver of late; bigger and more conventional.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:41 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So you don't like it then?

I think it works for Saint John. It should fit in well and it has a certain stately elegance to it. I'd prefer it if the footprint were a little smaller and the building a few storeys taller, but it's OK as is... definitely has that old-money corporate HQ look to it. It would fit in on University Ave in Toronto.
It would look a little simple next to the one or two examples of this style on University Street.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:56 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Well it kind of depends on what is meant by "north end". If we're talking about what is typically called "North edge" as the neighbourhoods immediately north of downtwown... I'd say quite possibly, at least in vicinity of 105/106 Ave. There is the strip of older industrial development north of MacEwan dating back from the rail line. I know there are some ideas floating around for a few decent sized buildings along there.
I meant that strip. I wasn't sure about neighbourhood names in Edmonton. I had been pretty sure they were wharehouses and whatnot, those seem to get redevelopped pretty often these days.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Its Saint John, quite frankly anything would be good. They have built something like only a single private sector led project in the downtown in the last 20 years.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyisnolimit View Post
Nope residential low-rises on airport land Future highrises will run from 124 st west of downtown to 87 street jasper and as high north from about 99th - 104 ave
Also, I believe the land to the north of Ice District is purchased for development as well. But as mentioned, the current development at the old CC Airport will be mixed residential low-rise for the most part.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
He is a massive supporter of Vancouverism and novelty architecture. No surprise he has been critical of the direction in Vancouver of late; bigger and more conventional.
Novelty architecture? Point towers with townhouse podiums? No. You clearly aren't reading his posts, just parsing them and making assumptions as to his point of view based on where he is from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada