HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

View Poll Results: What tv news station do you watch the most in Austin?
KTBC Fox7 News 4 20.00%
KXAN News 36 3 15.00%
KEYE-TV 42 News 0 0%
KVUE 24 News 9 45.00%
News 8 Austin 1 5.00%
None of the above 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythegreat View Post
In defense of the local casts, almost all (very few exceptions) local news casts are terrible. They do serve a purpose to a point, and then they just become local 'Entertainment Tonight-ish' crap.
Pretty much ALL news everywhere has become "info-tainment" and should be treated as such.

My wife used to officiate football here in Austin and knew Jim Spencer from that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 3:05 AM
Meh

JDawgboy, that's pretty cool about you knowing Jim Spencer. I've only officially met a few of the local news and weather folks. Met Connor Vernon who did the weather years ago at KTBC as well as the news anchors that day. I've seen others in public, some aren't even in Austin anymore, though. I almost got run over by Dick Ellis once riding by Fox7's studio in downtown. The look on his face was hilarious, "Get out of the way you idiot! Oh, wait, you recognize me, hello"

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Alright, I've added News 8 Austin. I did like watching them since they're 24 hours. I've also added None of the above as an option.

Actually, KTBC Fox7 is the original Austin tv station. KTBC started airing in Austin on Thanksgiving Day in 1952. KTBC at one time was owned by Lyndon Johnson and Lady Bird Johnson.
You are correct. However KVUE is still with its same affiliate. KTBC, switched from CBS to FOX. If I am correct.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 5:05 AM
Meh

Yeah, before 1995, KTBC was with CBS. After that KEYE became the local CBS affiliate that same year swapping places with KTBC. Before that however KEYE was known as KBVO, and was with Fox "KBVO Fox42". It was Austin's only independent tv station and got it's call signs from Bevo.

We have some ancient video tapes of movies that my dad copied off KBVO showing their logo and commercials.

By the way, I found this website about Austin's local tv stations. Kind of neat.
http://www.austintvnews.com/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 5:11 AM

I watch 24 when im down there.(which is often)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 11:57 AM

Smile

Quote:
Yeah, before 1995, KTBC was with CBS. After that KEYE became the local CBS affiliate that same year swapping places with KTBC. Before that however KEYE was known as KBVO, and was with Fox "KBVO Fox42". It was Austin's only independent tv station and got it's call signs from Bevo.

We have some ancient video tapes of movies that my dad copied off KBVO showing their logo and commercials.

By the way, I found this website about Austin's local tv stations. Kind of neat.
http://www.austintvnews.com/
You are correct Kevin. It was KBVO, I could not remember, I was about 17 yrs old, when it came on the air.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 3:51 PM

Quote:
I almost got run over by Dick Ellis once riding by Fox7's studio in downtown. The look on his face was hilarious, "Get out of the way you idiot! Oh, wait, you recognize me, hello"

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 6:35 PM
passion for patterns

I love Jim Spencer. He quite obviously love his job, and he's quite knowledgeable. He's managed to turn weather reporting into something of a spectator sport - you can just see how excited he gets when a thunderstorm line starts to form in Llano County. And I really respect that he has not only stayed in Austin but at the same channel - the vast majority of TV personalities climb the ladder. I am sure he's been offered larger markets.

Also, in 6th grade, I wrote a letter to him asking what 'graupel' was - and he sent a letter back with free KXAN pencils! I voted KVUE, but I meant to vote KXAN, because that's what I watched growing up.

You know who I miss dearly (I think he's dead)? Gordon Smith was his name, I think, he was the elderly weekend and AM weatherman at KTBC. He was really long-winded, folksy and goofy.

I really like Robert Hadlock. I've heard that he's a really nice guy in person and very much involved in the community. These are the Austin TV personalities I *hate* - Fred Cantu, Fred Cantu, and Fred Cantu. And Ron Oliveira. I liked Olga Campos, though. Don't think that I dislike Hispanic anchormen in general, I just got the sense that Fred Cantu was a total cheeseball hack when I met him once.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin