HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Coast at Lakeshore East in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 2:29 AM

Looking at the rendering of 375 in the previous posts link, it does look like it overlaps, not the main tower portion, but it's base. Thanks for the link. Would be nice to see this one get built as well, but I won't get greedy!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:12 AM
Chicago Kid

does anyone have a clear make of the lake shore east land parcels and what there names are? I have a hard time placing where each building is going to be.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:54 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Image hosted by me.

I've highlighted this site (2A) in red. The 3 building plots to the right/East of 2A were combined to form the Arquitectonica tower (375 E Wacker). Its now essentially one larger central tower with shorter flanking wings instead of three seperate buildings. Built developments are in navy. Future developments in light blue.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 5:31 AM

That's the site plan I was referring to earlier. thanks for posting it, Alliance. Also, from that wikipedia page that I mentioned, it siad site A was suppose to be 550ft tall so it looks like it they chopped off about 75ft.

I'm usually just a lurcker here and don't post much so I don't really know the rules or how to spost articles/pictures or information from other sites. So if someone wants to see the listed proposed heights of the remaining plots they can just search for it by google-ing Lakeshore East Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
That's the site plan I was referring to earlier. thanks for posting it, Alliance. Also, from that wikipedia page that I mentioned, it siad site A was suppose to be 550ft tall so it looks like it they chopped off about 75ft.

I'm usually just a lurcker here and don't post much so I don't really know the rules or how to spost articles/pictures or information from other sites. So if someone wants to see the listed proposed heights of the remaining plots they can just search for it by google-ing Lakeshore East Chicago.
Since site plans are strictly for massing purposes, nothing's been "chopped off". . . the final building design is usually going to fit within that placeholder but can deviate from it (above or below stated height). . . unless buildings are already designed, looking at the site plans for "height" guidance is a futile endeavor. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 3:21 AM

July 13

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 5:28 PM

Smile

nice to see another skyscraper go up in Chicago even tho it isnt the most exciting design to be honest. But better something to fill the gap than an empty lot. After Roosevelt Dorm is done i will start covering this with my videos so keep your picture updates coming

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 2:04 PM
you know where I'll be

Brief Pause?

Caisson work wrapped up I think 9 or 10 days ago. Nothing going on at the site since then. I'm wondering if they are either waiting for additional permits.....or, as I recall, this tower was on a Chicago Plan Commission agenda a couple months ago, and I don't think it was reported on as such in the media afterward, so perhaps it was pulled from the agenda? So it could be that it is also awaiting final necessary approvals? I noticed that it wasn't listed on this month's PC agenda........

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Can't they just build this as of right as it fits the already defined PD?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:47 PM
you know where I'll be

^ That's what I would have assumed.....but with the micro-managing, pander-hack maniac grand leader of the 42nd ward, Alderman 'MicroPanderManiHack'?, who know's? What are mere legalities in the face of political posturing and covering in this town? And developers surely don't want to anger the grand 'hack, and must bend over backwards to appease...

I seriously doubt the delay has anything to do with some sort of bottleneck blip in the supply pipeline, taking into account the sheer mass of idle construction labor and equipment right now...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 5:17 PM
TL;DR

How far does Case take it? Do they leave after the caissons are drilled, or do they also pour the mat? I'm assuming they don't do any work on the core or columns (that's usually on the GC).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 1:11 PM
you know where I'll be

Still Nothing Doing

at the site. Checked out the New Eastside Association's website for any clues, as member geezers there have objected to various things in the past regarding LSE, poured over decade-old drawings, etc to look for perceived technical legalities, etc.......didn't find anything except some concern about a pedway extension...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 5:04 PM

Pretty quiet over there. Checked on the site two days ago. Completely empty except for a construction trailer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 5:23 PM
TL;DR

I'm pretty sure this is an internal problem between Magellan and the contractors, not an issue of community opposition or political roadblocks.

If the community was opposed, they'd be spreading the word like crazy, but we haven't heard a peep.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 2:28 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Could very well be that as well, of course. If it does (did) go before Plan Commission and the City Council, I have a hunch that it would have been precipitated by a small contingent from the New Eastside putting pressure on Reilly (again, since everything is overly politicized....) to have the developers jump through the hoops. From looking through the New Eastside Association's website in past years (they really need to have someone redesign that mess of a site!), 'they've' brought up numerous things about perceived deviation from officially approved PD, including items such as the configuration, dimensions, etc of The Village Market and the height of Aqua....

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
How far does Case take it? Do they leave after the caissons are drilled, or do they also pour the mat? I'm assuming they don't do any work on the core or columns (that's usually on the GC).
Case puts in the foundation work, covers everything with a nice layer of fill, then leaves.

was still idle yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 3:50 PM
BANNED

What makes everyone so sure there is a problem at all? Gaps in construction like this happen all the time and almost never represent a problem.

What is probably actually going on is that the agreement with the contractor who takes over after Case probably does begin until X date and therefore they are not going to start construction now just because Case finished early. Or maybe the next draw on the construction loan doesn't release until August 15th. There are a million different documents governing this site and the odds are some quirk in those documents is what is leading to this temporary halt in construction, not some huge problem or community outrage...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:39 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Actually, much more often than not in the high-rise projects I've watched here over the last several years there's been a pretty face-value seamless transition from caisson to core/mat prep....at least much more so than here, and frankly I'd expected to have seen something just about as seemless as it gets from a well-oiled development/construction machine as Magellan/Case/McHugh at Lakeshore East - particularly as the developer has publically stated completion (assuming partial occupancy) is targeted for Feb. 2013.

However, with all that stated, it looks like you're probably right.
This actually was approved at Plan Commission the other month. I'm assuming it's already been approved by the Council or will be very shortly.
And, more (concretely), some work did indeed resume at the site on Friday, including some actual concrete pouring....

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:44 PM
you know where I'll be

In an article last week in rejournals.com, it was revealed that this was intended to be a larger project originally. The main factor given for scaling back somewhat was financing (the desire to go with approx. 1/3 equity and more traditional straight-forward sr. debt piece as opposed to a larger debt component with more complex debt pieces - mezz, etc. Good news is that there seems to have been a decent amount of competition among the more traditional balance-sheet lenders for this approx. $100 mil loan....

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:54 PM
BANNED

It's too bad it didn't end up being larger, that would have been sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Actually, much more often than not in the high-rise projects I've watched here over the last several years there's been a pretty face-value seamless transition from caisson to core/mat prep....at least much more so than here, and frankly I'd expected to have seen something just about as seemless as it gets from a well-oiled development/construction machine as Magellan/Case/McHugh at Lakeshore East - particularly as the developer has publically stated completion (assuming partial occupancy) is targeted for Feb. 2013.
I didn't say there are usually breaks in construction, I just said they aren't uncommon at all and certainly are not a sign of impending disaster as people have been freaking out over.

Anyhow, wasn't there a similar break in construction when Magellan was building Aqua?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive