HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:38 PM

Moving the canopy?

Looks like workers are on-site today at Waterview. They appear to be constructing a new protective canopy on the sidewalk inside of the current barrier.

I suspect that the city told them to tear down the one they have and get the heck out of the lane of traffic that they have been blocking for almost 4 years now.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:10 PM
The City

According to this week's Crains, somebody envisions office space for the Waterview Tower site.

I don't have premium access any more, so no more details.

Spyguy to the rescue?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:32 PM

It says the developer wants to build a 60 story office tower at the site.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 9:03 PM

^ Surprised that Fifield isn't swooping in to build a 3-story Holiday Inn Express on top of a 30 story parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 10:24 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...UE01/311139972

Goodman envisions offices at unfinished Waterview tower on Wacker Drive
By: Alby Gallun November 15, 2010

A partly built condominium-hotel tower on Wacker Drive—now just a concrete eyesore among the city's glittering riverside skyscrapers—would get a second life as a 60-story office building, if developer Mark Goodman gets his way.

...Mr. Goodman says he's “very far along” in planning for the Waterview project, which would cost more than $300 million. But he doesn't have a binding agreement to acquire the property and is not the only buyer pursuing it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 10:54 PM

Ok so im thinking that this office tower will have taller floor to ceiling hieghts than a normal office tower since the floor plates are fairly small for office building standards.. im hoping we near 800ft or more for this tower.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 11:21 PM

I'm thinking the floorplates would be around 13 to 13'6." Anyone know the current height of the building and technically what floor it's on? Of course, I'm way over speculating right now. Conversion to an office building could be very promising. The building would have far more mass with less setbacks.

Very interesting though. Concrete construction tends to be more practical in residential towers or lowrise office buildings. You don't see too many highrise office buildings with a concrete structure. Steel structures accomplish long spans much easier with less structural depth and slab thickness, which would intrude into mechanical plenum spaces.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 1:19 AM
BANNED

I wouldn't be surprised if they switched from concrete to steel if they do convert it to office. Perhaps the end result would be similar to that building in the South Loop where they built steel on top of an older structure and used a truss to switch the locations of the support columns. Perhaps we could get a cool Hearst tower effect...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:17 PM
you know where I'll be

^

Folks, office is less than likely for whatever gets built here. Look for residential in some form or even believe it or not hotel or hotel/residential combo (sound familiar?) as the eventual outcome. Also look for a height more compatible with the post-bubble era. Although I suspect many here will hold out hope until the eventual project is actually topped-off, look for something in all probability less than 70 stories and less than 800' (could of course be much, much less)

Yes Mark Goodman (much smaller projects to his credit) envisions a 60-story office tower. I continue to view office as highly unlikely for this site as I don't think you'll get up to the at-minimum 22,000-23,000 sq ft net-rentable area office floor plates that you really need to attract high-rent paying, efficiency-seeking, Class A office tenants for new space in the downtown Chicago market....I could be wrong but it sure seems like a stretch to me.........can anybody tell me what the floor plate area is for the poured 'hotel' floors?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 6:08 PM

^ Nowhere, I agree that IF this became an office building, they would probably use steel to complete it. However, I believe Sam is spot on in stating that it's unlikely that office would be the major component. I would assume that the hotel/ condo/ rental mixed use route would make the most sense given the small footprint and the parking that has already been built out. I'm surprised there hasn't been more news or rumors about potential hotel operators, but the economy still sucks and tourism is down big (something like 27%).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 6:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ Surprised that Fifield isn't swooping in to build a 3-story Holiday Inn Express on top of a 30 story parking garage.
I was thinking it'd be an awesome place for a ranch-style SFH.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 6:46 PM

Anything less than 1000 feet is a downer. I'd rather the site sit exactly as it is for another 5 - 10 years until hopefully someone is able to build a 1000+ footer than see a lesser structure eliminate the last prime spot along Wacker. Unless the building will look like the shard of glass high rise originally slated for Streeterville (can't remember which hotel was considering it), I say blah.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 7:10 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Anything less than 1000 feet is a downer. I'd rather the site sit exactly as it is for another 5 - 10 years until hopefully someone is able to build a 1000+ footer than see a lesser structure eliminate the last prime spot along Wacker. Unless the building will look like the shard of glass high rise originally slated for Streeterville (can't remember which hotel was considering it), I say blah.
No offense, but I think it's easier to adopt this approach if you don't live here. But for those of us who have to deal with this concrete hulk on an almost daily basis, it gets old. Every time I look at it, I can't help but think about what could've been. I just want to move on. There's no way I would want to wait 5-10 years for it to be redeveloped. And sixty stories will still add significantly to the river canyon.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 7:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

Life at Waterview Tower....

Original plan scrapped for 60 story office tower???

Curbed Chicago

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takascar View Post
Looks like workers are on-site today at Waterview. They appear to be constructing a new protective canopy on the sidewalk inside of the current barrier.

I suspect that the city told them to tear down the one they have and get the heck out of the lane of traffic that they have been blocking for almost 4 years now.
Just Adjustable Forms taking off the shelter on the SE corner - photos soon.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 7:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
No offense, but I think it's easier to adopt this approach if you don't live here. But for those of us who have to deal with this concrete hulk on an almost daily basis, it gets old.
amen. waiting 10 years to see this eyesore redeveloped is not acceptable to those of us who live and work in this neighborhood every day.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 8:20 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
amen. waiting 10 years to see this eyesore redeveloped is not acceptable to those of us who live and work in this neighborhood every day.
Those living in Marina City with southern views have a front row seat to this debacle. A friend of mine is on the 42nd floor with a southwestern view, and what an eyesore it truly is... The exposed rebar and rust-stained roof is a sore sight.

I'm curious, if construction changed to steel and topped out at 60, would it be impossible to add an additional 30 floors in the future if economics allowed it, similar to BCBS? I understand the staging area would be an issue, but assuming they could figure that out (barges in the river, maybe) what's the problem with 60 now, 90 later?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 6:56 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Certainly all of us would like to this project completed, if not just to bring these past few years to a close. However, I can't help but feel that this site is pretty unique. Theres not many more like it and I'd like to see something worthy of its location.

I'd guess a 60 story office tower with the 17/18 floors already built would be about 800 ft. That might give a nice counterpoint to 300 N LaSalle and be enough to step out of the roof and get some air. However, I too don't really see it becoming an office tower. I worry that a significantly shorter tower will create a plateau with United and Leo. If its shorter than that , it crams in LaSalle-Wacker.

I wonder how the original tower completed as rentals would fare. It seems like the share of Chicago's market that everyone consistently believes is under-built.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:22 AM
A before E

I could see this building being finished off at its current height and used for office space or something like that, then at a later date, the developer could always build on top of it, seeing that the building currently already has the structural support to handle any additions to be made.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I could see this building being finished off at its current height and used for office space or something like that, then at a later date, the developer could always build on top of it, seeing that the building currently already has the structural support to handle any additions to be made.
I hadn't thought about that. I'd be a little more okay with a less tall building being built there than originally planned, but with the possibility of building taller in the future (a la Blue Cross & Blue Shield building).

Is the Shangri-La hotel no longer interested in having a property in Chicago? There's still time to join up with a potential new developer to be a part of this site!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive