HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:00 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; May 13, 2019 at 8:36 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 7:52 PM

Instagram

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:27 AM

Seeing the snow on the ground in those shots is upsetting. Aside from the inherent value of this special project, is that I will be able to pretend it is not winter for bursts of time on an as-needed basis. I think that's good for the soul. I've tried to be upbeat and positive about bitter cold. It's hard.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Seeing the snow on the ground in those shots is upsetting. Aside from the inherent value of this special project, is that I will be able to pretend it is not winter for bursts of time on an as-needed basis. I think that's good for the soul. I've tried to be upbeat and positive about bitter cold. It's hard.
Humans are not meant to live in bitter cold and darkness for half the year. We had a nice day on Monday and it’s going to pretty much be cooler than normal crap for the rest of the week. It’s hard. Myself personally I suffer from SAD so for me the winters here are starting to become too much and I’m sick of taking copious amounts of supplements to deal with my mental health. By spring my body just feels exhausted and I need to be out in the sun, by fall I feel scared because I know what’s coming over the next six months... places like this will help make it easier.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 2:22 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Humans are not meant to live in bitter cold and darkness for half the year. We had a nice day on Monday and it’s going to pretty much be cooler than normal crap for the rest of the week. It’s hard. Myself personally I suffer from SAD so for me the winters here are starting to become too much and I’m sick of taking copious amounts of supplements to deal with my mental health. By spring my body just feels exhausted and I need to be out in the sun, by fall I feel scared because I know what’s coming over the next six months... places like this will help make it easier.
Buy a one-way ticket to somewhere tropical like Brazil or Uruguay or something then take what money you have and live in a shack on some secluded beach.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:01 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Go out to Lacotse greenhouses and walk around in there for a couple of hours amongst all of the flowers and plants. You will feel great after. And at no cost!

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Take up cross country skiing and/or winter fat biking. That what I do in the winter and because of it, I'm outside in the winter as much as I am in the summer. The body heat generated by these activities is enough to combat all but the coldest of days. Plus the physical activity has been great for my mental well-being.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Buy a one-way ticket to somewhere tropical like Brazil or Uruguay or something then take what money you have and live in a shack on some secluded beach.
Uruguay does not have a tropical climate, it has a similar climate to the South Carolina coast (Myrtle Beach or Charleston), though slightly less extreme due to a greater oceanic influence, so not quite as hot in the summer nor cold in the winter and somewhat less sunshine. Definitely a distinct cool season, and freezing temperatures occur a few times each year. Beach season lasts about six months. Unless you're brave, even in Florida most days are too cold for the beach from about November to mid March, except the far south and the Keys.

Best for SAD are sunny and dry semi-arid to Mediterranean climates. San Diego really does have the perfect climate, 3,055 hours of sunshine annually with over 225 hours in all 12 months and no extreme temperatures at any time of year. By contrast Winnipeg gets a very good for the latitude 2,353 hours of sunshine, but 7 of the 12 months get under 200 hours and 5 get under 150, and then of course I won't point out the winter temperatures. A similar climate can be found in the central valley of Chile if you want South America for affordability. Places in west central Argentina like Mendoza and San Juan are also near perfect and the Canadian dollar goes much farther in Argentina than in Chile. California is ridiculously expensive and personally, I don't like the vibe there.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:55 PM

^^^
wow lol

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:10 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I visited my son in Victoria for a week in February, 15 and sunny all week. Beautiful!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Take up cross country skiing and/or winter fat biking. That what I do in the winter and because of it, I'm outside in the winter as much as I am in the summer. The body heat generated by these activities is enough to combat all but the coldest of days. Plus the physical activity has been great for my mental well-being.
Agreed. Ironically the most active & outdoorsy people I know complain the least about the cold. The ones who like to think they're active & outdoorsy but aren't really, complain a lot.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 5:14 PM

^ Victoria has arguably Canada's best climate in the winter months. It's slightly warmer, considerably sunnier and receives less than 60% of Vancouver's rainfall from November through March. Some really dislike the coastal climate and are partial to the Okanagan, but it's colder there and actually less sunny. For those suffering with the very debilitating SAD they will not get much relief anywhere in B.C.

Winter sunshine hours (November through March)

Victoria 469
Vancouver 403 (YVR, downtown gets less, the North Shore far less)
Penticton 347

Winnipeg 624
San Diego 1189
Phoenix 1332
Miami 1151

Rio de Janeiro 968
Buenos Aires 1267
Santiago 1591

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:32 AM

Twitter ‪@d_l1985‬

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:32 AM

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 4:47 PM

For a minute there , that look like a ride at the EX

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 11:29 PM

^^I could totally see the swings.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:17 PM

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:26 PM
There is always a way

That building is gonna be a beaut when it opens. Really spectacular.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 2:05 AM

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 9:38 PM

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan