HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
November 16th, 2013

See how the parapets for 4WTC and Goldman Sachs are lit up at night? I wish/hope they will end up doing that for the parapet atop 1WTC, because right now just lighting up the spire on its own while the roof below it remains dark just looks very weird.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 1:57 PM

It does. The ring and 'spire' are disconnected from from the tower, at night and day.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 7:07 PM
Gigatall Skyscraper

That's because these are only temporary construction lights. The whole tower will be lit up with office lights when construction is done.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
That's because these are only temporary construction lights. The whole tower will be lit up with office lights when construction is done.
AAAAAAAND, they will be lighting the mechanical floors. It will look fine at night.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 7:49 PM
weidncol

The construction lights will soon be replaced with actual office lights, same goes for 4 WTC. The mechanical floors will have LED's shining up at them like this:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 9:36 PM

Lets see how that turns out

©tectonic

Last edited by Tectonic; Nov 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
This picture shows just how amazing One WTC would have looked if they hadn't removed the radome.

http://i.imgur.com/OFMft5k.jpg

Sorry, but I can't put a thumbnail as the picture is WAY to big.
I kinda like those 3 vertical lines they had extending down from the roof. Shame they did away with those.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
I kinda like those 3 vertical lines they had extending down from the roof. Shame they did away with those.
That's just the photo they never had 3 lit up lines going down the building.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:47 PM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
That's just the photo they never had 3 lit up lines going down the building.
True. It would have looked cool though.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 12:08 AM

Hi guys after watching this forum for a while now, I Finally had the the courage to make an account. Does anybody know when the construction elevation will be taken down because it is in the way of the base glass being competed?

BTW, sorry if there are other people with the same username didn't mean to copy them

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 12:22 AM
BANNED

This is a quality tower, great height, cladding and bulk, it feels big, residential towers, even when they are tall, dont look so imposing, but u think it would of looked great if there was another one, twin towers

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Wish there was two

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesnick312 View Post
Wish there was two
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesnick312 View Post
This is a quality tower, great height, cladding and bulk, it feels big, residential towers, even when they are tall, dont look so imposing, but u think it would of looked great if there was another one, twin towers
agree. Especially when you see this thing in person, you really get get a sense for how massive it is. And if 1 wtc appears so massive, i can only imagine what the twins were like in person

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:41 AM

I was wondering if some of the photos had been doctored, but when I took off from EWR this morning, 1WTC was glowing in golden light while the rest of downtown looked like it was in shadow by comparison. It was remarkable.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:43 AM

The twins were massive. As big as the new WTC 1 is l remember how breathtakingly big the twins were whenever l was hanging out down there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 2:33 AM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267 View Post
The twins were massive. As big as the new WTC 1 is l remember how breathtakingly big the twins were whenever l was hanging out down there.
The footprint of 1 WTC is as big as one of the Twin Towers. The only difference is that it tapers in as it goes up.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclover View Post
Hi guys after watching this forum for a while now, I Finally had the the courage to make an account. Does anybody know when the construction elevation will be taken down because it is in the way of the base glass being competed?

BTW, sorry if there are other people with the same username didn't mean to copy them
Hey Welcome! It is likely the elevator won't be taken down for a while and will be used by Conde Nast to movve in. So like 4 WTC the elevator will be there at the opening probably.
Quote:
The footprint of 1 WTC is as big as one of the Twin Towers. The only difference is that it tapers in as it goes up.
False the twin towers we're 208' x 208'.
1 WTC is 205' x 205'

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 10:01 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

1 WTC is 205' x 205'
interesting. i wondered about that since they seemed very similar.

strangely enough, the height to the roof of both the old 1wtc and the new one is the same 1,368'. that had to be on purpose.

so in a basic sense it turns out the new wtc is pretty much a twin after all (triplet?), of the previous towers. or at least 'a brother from another mother.'

i would not want two of the new version, i like the variety we are getting quite a lot. the other bldgs will give it plenty of company when they are completed.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Hey Welcome! It is likely the elevator won't be taken down for a while and will be used by Conde Nast to movve in. So like 4 WTC the elevator will be there at the opening probably.

1 WTC is 205' x 205'
This is correct at the base, but at the parapet, the dimensions are much smaller.

From StructureMag

Quote:
Building Geometry

The building footprint above grade level starts with a 205-foot (62.5-meter) square plan. The office levels start 190 feet (58meters) above ground level, stacked over four levels of mechanical space above the main lobby. The four corners of the tower slope gently from the first office level inward until, at the roof, the floor plan again forms a square, but with a reduced dimension of 145 feet (44 meters), rotated 45 degrees from the base quadrangle. The elevation is formed by eight tall isosceles triangles creating an elongated Square Antiprism Frustum. At mid height of the tower, the floor plan forms an equilateral Octagon.

The tapering of the building geometry reduces the wind effect on the tower. Generally, tall building designs in New York City are governed by wind loads; however, this tower shape has an innate positive effect on the building performance under wind loading.

Above the main roof at elevation 1368 feet (417 meters), a 408-foot (125-meter) tall spire is designed to be mounted atop a thick reinforced concrete mat directly supported by the tower’s concrete core. Additional supports are provided via a multilayer circular lattice ring above the main roof, that are connected to the spire via a series of cables and supported by the main roof framing.

The tower structure extends 70 feet below grade passing through four subterranean levels, where some of its structural components required repositioning to clear the Path train tracks that pass under the building at the lowest basement level.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 8:32 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive