HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 4:53 PM

With the port expansion plans, I wonder if we'd see increased rail traffic at the Simms Corner crossing as well. I wonder if it makes sense (though would probably have a hefty price tag) to dig down the rail bed and build up the road to create an overpass over the rail line. Currently the rail bed appears to rise up to the intersection from behind Moosehead, and then slowly lower on the hill behind Lancaster Mall before crossing over Route 1.

Essentially this would tunnel the rail under the intersection area, allowing the city to build a roundabout or a signalized intersection on top of the overpass decking, probably even with full access down onto Fairville Blvd.

Edit: A little photoshop magic to visualize

Source: maps.saintjohn.ca & me

Last edited by magee_b; Mar 6, 2015 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Adding image

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 10:26 PM

Or a high capacity roundabout over the rail trench:

Source: maps.saintjohn.ca & me

I realize neither are likely as the coordination between the city, province and NBSR would probably be a 15 year nightmare - but it's interesting to think what might be possible if that rail line were trenched.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 12:48 AM

How often is the rail line used? I've been through that intersection hundreds of times in the past 15 years and I don't think I've ever seen it used.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
How often is the rail line used? I've been through that intersection hundreds of times in the past 15 years and I don't think I've ever seen it used.
It depends on the sea traffic; it's a branch that goes down to the port, so it's only used when loading/unloading containers by rail.

I've seen some pretty long automobile trains go through there, presumably when a ship has just offloaded vehicles.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:05 PM

Irving purchased the Simms Brush factory for more space to expand the tissue mill and build a box and diaper plant.
Irving also bought the old hospital site on the hill. That was going to be the new road off the bridge. This would have eliminated Simms corner.
You can thank our mayor at the time for pissing Irving off. Irving built the Diaper and Box plants in Moncton instead.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Irving also bought the old hospital site on the hill. That was going to be the new road off the bridge. This would have eliminated Simms corner.
Eliminated or just relocated? What would have been the layout of such a redirected road, and where would it have connected?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 1:26 AM

Location: The greatest little city in the east -- Saint John, NB
Parking, Parking, Parking

Heads up -- the proposed Irving parking lot swallowing up Elliot Row and a full city block is on PAC's agenda tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 6pm in Council Chambers and it has a glowing recommendation from City staff despite admitting that it doesn't meet any of the City's policies or criteria: http://www.saintjohn.ca/site/media/S...%20Website.pdf

If, from the comments that have shown up on this forum, you oppose this parking lot proposal, PLEASE show up to voice your opposition. Despite all of the extraordinary fuss in the community about the Paramount parking lot (also on the agenda tomorrow night), I was disappointed to see that Uptown Saint John was the only opposition in attendance when it actually mattered. The Irving parking lot is NOT within Uptown SJ's jurisdiction this time around.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:59 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I second flwright's call to action - we need as many people to speak out about this proposal as possible. In particular, the loss of the Elliott Row right of way must not be allowed to happen if we want to safeguard the longer-term foundation for infill development in this area.

I'll gladly buy a St. Pat's beer (or drink of choice) for any SSPer who attends!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Eliminated or just relocated? What would have been the layout of such a redirected road, and where would it have connected?
Eliminated. You wouldn't have to deal with the road coming up by the mall.
It would have been a 3 way instead of a 4 way.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:09 PM

You know, holding the PAC meeting on St Patty's Day and trying to slip that sort of change through really smells. I doubt it was planned that way, but I'm sure the Irving's weren't completely blind to the opportunity.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Eliminated. You wouldn't have to deal with the road coming up by the mall.
It would have been a 3 way instead of a 4 way.
I wasn't asking about the road from the mall. I was asking where the road would run between the end of the bridge and the existing roads, and where it would connect.

Frankly, there is no right way to reroute that road without also making significant changes to the other roads in the immediate area.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:14 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Well, despite a couple impassioned appeals to reason, PAC ultimately recommended approval of the JDI parking lot proposal - the rezoning now goes to public hearing before Council on March 30th. Mark your calendars!

On a lighter note, to mark the official start of spring (ha!), I've taken the liberty to modify that Donald Sutherland infographic to better reflect the current situation:

I'll never complain about the fog again!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 10:22 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...shed-1.3007576

Quote:
Saint John's landmark Falls Restaurant to be demolished

Saint John council quietly approved $90K to tear down building that needs up to $800K in repairs

The City of Saint John is planning to demolish the old Falls Restaurant, a landmark building that overlooks the rapids on the city's west side.

Council quietly approved the move last week week, allocating $90,000 for the removal of the former restaurant and tourist centre, which closed late last year.

Ward 1 Coun. Bill Farren said he is unhappy with the decision to remove the building.

"I don't agree with it one little bit," he said.

"It's a building that's been there for a lot of years. People from all over the world go see the Reversing Falls. I think that building's worth bringing back up to snuff."

The municipally-owned building, which has fallen into disrepair in recent years, requires between $700,000 and $800,000 in upgrades, including plumbing, heating and air conditioning, and structural work, city managers told council on March 16.

Farren says council's vote happened so quickly, he actually missed it, failing to register his opposition.

"I'm very disappointed with myself," he said.

Council has asked city managers to fast track the demolition, but no date has been set.

Mary-Ellen Mallette, a local resident, says she will be sorry to see the building that her father-in-law helped construct in the early-1950s be taken down.

She recalls it as being a place to celebrate special occasions.

"It was good food, great service. The girls got to know us after a while," said Mallette.

"Wedding anniversaries, graduations, special birthdays — they were there. So yes, we will miss it."

The restaurant and tourist information centre was built on top of a foundation that anchored an earlier bridge on the sharp rock face at the Reversing Falls. The building was subsequently expanded and remodelled.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Terrible - what are they going to replace it with, more parking???

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Is bungie-jumping still a thing?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 12:36 PM

Reversing falls restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I think it could be eventually integrated into harbour passage plans to go all around the inner harbour, they will likely plan a look-out or something like that, maybe the Marco Polo replica will find a home there? Heard the City is getting out of the landlord business.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 1:34 AM

Is it true that the East Branch of the Library is moving to the bus garage?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 3:35 AM

Took a walk through the north end today and shot the following photos of the new Y, liquor store and new apartment building:

New North End Apartments. by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

New North End Y by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

New North End Liquor Store. by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:30 PM
ハルウララ

The Falls restraurant is no great loss. Coun. Farren is out to lunch (as he was during the vote) if he thinks the building is worth saving for historic purposes. It was an eyesore and didn't really have great food. Good on Council for spending $90K to avoid having to spend $700K-$1M to refurbish.

Seems ideal to turn the location into a lookout similar to what there already is on the opposite side of the bridge.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 10:33 PM

It may not be good to spend that kind of money and the food there was average but the view was excellent and a new building offering the comforts that it had offered would be a great idea. I do agree the old building was quite tired so it no loss that way but the unique view that is a measurable loss.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces