HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I feel sorry for 1 Vanderbilt and its future tenants, getting eclipsed so badly so soon. Had the developer known this would happen, it probably would have either built taller, or picked a different location.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I feel sorry for 1 Vanderbilt and its future tenants, getting eclipsed so badly so soon. Had the developer known this would happen, it probably would have either built taller, or picked a different location.
It's NYC...developers should always assume something bigger is possible.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 1:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post

They knew very well it could happen though. They’re in the middle of the densest part of the east midtown rezoning. In fact, the block directly north was going to rebuild, but opted currently for a renovation. No doubt that will change down the line. I think the Grand Hyatt redevelopment will be taller than Vanderbilt as well.

If Tower Fifth is ever built, it will eclipse both towers in that view.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 2:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Here's Marc Holliday of SL Green Realty speaking about their planning and construction of One Vanderbilt and an overall healthy Midtown East...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 2:34 PM

Quote:
In fact, the block directly north was going to rebuild, but opted currently for a renovation. No doubt that will change down the line.
There's a couple of renders of a skewed pyramidal megatall for that site floating around Google. I won't link them as I don't think it's allowed. Google "Manhattan Megatall".

They're purely visionary sadly. A cluster like that here would rival Shanghai's famous trio.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 3:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
There's a couple of renders of a skewed pyramidal megatall for that site floating around Google. I won't link them as I don't think it's allowed. Google "Manhattan Megatall".

They're purely visionary sadly. A cluster like that here would rival Shanghai's famous trio.

These things? Yeah just ideas.

GaborCs

There was a time when some people feared Midtown East would look like the image below as a result of the rezoning. It won't be to that extreme, at least as zoning exists now. Cut some heights down, and it might.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 3:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

Would look great being the pinnacle of the WTC instead of that radar station topped letdown 1WTC.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 8:39 AM

Quote:
There was a time when some people feared Midtown East would look like the image below as a result of the rezoning. It won't be to that extreme, at least as zoning exists now. Cut some heights down, and it might.

Why would there be a fear?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 4:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
Why would there be a fear?
I ask that question all the time. And it's just irrationality. Manhattan's skyscrapers are built in some of the highest densities and concentrations on the planet. Yet there are people who think any one new building will be the end of civilization as we know it, with grievances being anything from extra shadows to extra people.

To be clear, most people in the city, or anywhere else, don't really care about skyscrapers, one way or the other. But there is a small contingent who firmly believe that their daily lives will be ruined by the construction of these things, even in a city that is defined by them. Added to that mix, there is the contingent that thinks any change to the built environment, regardless of scale, is unacceptable, and that all built things must be preserved as is, or adapted for different use. So while the NY skyline has steadily grown, and is constantly being altered, the scale of the changes of something like what that photo represents is to them a horror.

https://observer.com/2012/08/another...of-the-future/

Quote:
Back when we did our big report one what the Bloomberg administration has in store for Midtown East under an in-the-works rezoning, we came up with a little dream/doomsday scenario of what that might look like.

Now, our pals over at Curbed have come up with their own rendering of a Midtown of the future, which are equally exciting and terrifying, depending on where you stand on cool new skyscrapers and the crowds and shadows that come with them.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 5:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 13, 2020 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 7:39 AM
Crane Goddess

Those are some nice photos, looks like 277's getting some serious work done.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 4:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Those are some nice photos, looks like 277's getting some serious work done.
They have been undergoing renovations for a while.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 5:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Work here still shown as active...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 11:12 PM
Crane Goddess

A shame it looks like they're losing those lovely granite benches around the plaza, those are some of my favorite sitting spots in that part of town. And judging by what I've seen whenever I've been there around lunchtime, the tenants really like them too. If they were replacing them with some other type of seating, ok. But this doesn't look to be the case, which is unfortunate.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
A shame it looks like they're losing those lovely granite benches around the plaza, those are some of my favorite sitting spots in that part of town. And judging by what I've seen whenever I've been there around lunchtime, the tenants really like them too. If they were replacing them with some other type of seating, ok. But this doesn't look to be the case, which is unfortunate.

If the plans to enlarge the medians of Park Avenue move forward, there will be more leisurely space out front. This was part of the Midtown East rezoning...

Meanwhile, the NB (new building) permit had its first examination since December, so hopefully things are moving towards a conclusion, and the permit will be approved.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 12:58 AM
Crane Goddess

So it looks like work is ongoing at 270 Park Avenue, according to the DOB essential construction projects map. It's listed as approved construction. However, the real headscratcher is across the street at 277. It's got approved work going on, listed as hospital/health care. What the heck is going on?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 5:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
So it looks like work is ongoing at 270 Park Avenue, according to the DOB essential construction projects map. It's listed as approved construction. However, the real headscratcher is across the street at 277. It's got approved work going on, listed as hospital/health care. What the heck is going on?
Don’t know, but they’ve been working for a while.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 7:33 PM
Crane Goddess

^Yeah, even this past summer they were working on the front plaza and Lexington Avenue entrance.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 8:04 PM

The last time I was at 277 the branch was still open, but that was before the virus. Maybe the city doesn't want an abandoned construction site next to an essential business.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
It's got approved work going on, listed as hospital/health care. What the heck is going on?
They aren't converting its lobby or retail areas into makeshift medical facilities are they? It looks like it has trading floors with that podium base. Can't imagine many traders at work right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction