HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:08 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Talk of west end development always gets me excited. Great pictures demonstrating the potential as well. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been down there and picked out the exact sites that you did as potential for fantastic developments.

And Signal, unreal early morning photos, as always.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thank you!

And, oy...

Guys, even as a heritage protectionist... I will let you tear down and bulldoze ANYTHING west of 351 Water Street if you'll just get rid of the TD Building, the old Fortis Building, that other red brick Canada building, Atlantic Place, and... ideally... the Battery Hotel. Or at least reclad it. It looks like something from the Iqaluit photo thread.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:38 PM

There was mention that an oil company, possibly Exxon, had 351's officer space completely booked.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
There was mention that an oil company, possibly Exxon, had 351's officer space completely booked.
Geez... and that's just Exxon Mobile. What about the other big players such as Husky, Statoil, Chevron, etc? Does anyone know if they're looking for additional space? If it holds true that 351 and Fortis are full, and half of Deacon is filled up it'll be interesting times for DT in the near future.

As well, even with Henry-Bell project rolling out I still think the condo market downtown is underutilized. It'd be nice to see a (well designed) 20 storey condo in that area, maybe one of those renderings jeddy whipped up around Fortis. I feel the city has a 50-60m max phobia for downtown developments. I would love to see just one 70m building, it would so much compliment the downtown skyline. Alas, only time will tell.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd like to see that as well.

And, reading the shadow analysis for Fortis Place... the amount of time that the shadow of that building has ANY impact on the homes that are literally in its shadow is shockingly minimal.

Not that I really give a **** about shadows... but if the impact of a building that height is basically nothing... then surely we can go higher.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:51 PM

I always say that the Battery Hotel at Signal Hill should be the most luxurious and best place to stay in St. John's. It's very sad when you see this place up close how run down it looks and surrounding property, the tacky colours they have it painted. Here is an idea iI had of what it could be like. I took the Grand Floridian Resort in Florida and pasted into the Battery space on Signal Hill. I think the architecture fits it surprisingly well. Hopefully some day, some will have a grand vision and do something with this sad excuse for a hotel with a million dollar view.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...33316397_n.jpg

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I always say that the Battery Hotel at Signal Hill should be the most luxurious and best place to stay in St. John's. It's very sad when you see this place up close how run down it looks and surrounding property, the tacky colours they have it painted. Here is an idea iI had of what it could be like. I took the Grand Floridian Resort in Florida and pasted into the Battery space on Signal Hill. I think the architecture fits it surprisingly well. Hopefully some day, some will have a grand vision and do something with this sad excuse for a hotel with a million dollar view.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...33316397_n.jpg
Ehhh I hate that building.

On his thread there was a concept design of what could be there.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Ehhh I hate that building.

On his thread there was a concept design of what could be there.
Yeah, I don't really like the look of that either xD what did the concept look like and could you find it?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Yeah, I don't really like the look of that either xD what did the concept look like and could you find it?
Here's the concept thread, maybe we can continue the convo there and you guys can add more suggestions and renderings for that site and others

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198817

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 11:17 PM

Here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The concept looks great, something else to open a few eyes and bring out the Nimbys in full force.
I can hear the screams all the way here.

Source Link: Colliers PDF file

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 1:02 AM

^I think I just heard Shannie spit out a mouth-full of water.

It'd be a vast improvement even if I can hear the NIMBY's screaming bloody murder.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 1:17 AM

Yeah, that does look great and definitely a huge improvement but it will never happen.. It's too bad though

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 1:24 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The existing building is modern, the Johnson Geo Centre is right there... I've no problem with going completely modern on that site.

And building something like the above could start the slow sweep of residential highrises I dream to see along the shore of Quidi Vidi Lake, starting where the jail is now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:53 AM

Where was that first picture taken from?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

More or less from Blackmarsh Road, but I am uphill from there on a side street. The street you see in front of the grey house to the left of the blue one at centre is Blackmarsh Road. And I'm very close to Topsail as well.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:57 PM

I drove across the team gushue highway last week and it seems to be progressing well. It is cleared and flattened until it gets to Brookfield road where it stops at a dead end. I don't know why it hasn't been continued to Pitts memorial drive as the rest of the completed work has been done for some time now.

I also don't know why now overpass/underpasses have been started yet. I doubt we'll see much change until the spring now because I don't think they do much digging or overpass construction in the winter, do they?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd imagine worker shortages.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I drove across the team gushue highway last week and it seems to be progressing well. It is cleared and flattened until it gets to Brookfield road where it stops at a dead end. I don't know why it hasn't been continued to Pitts memorial drive as the rest of the completed work has been done for some time now.
The connection to Pitts Memorial is phase 3 of the highway. The highway will terminate at Brooksfield Road for the time being until it's finally completed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 6:37 PM

I heard a rumor (just a rumor) that the bifurcation/team Gushie highway will turn and run parallel to Brookfield road along side the Environmental Farm that is currently there. They recently removed all of the barnyard fencing along the side of the road. I also heard that when the new highway connects to the Heavy Tree Road/Goulds bypass interchange, there will be no overpass over Brookfield but will basically cut off Brookfield Road as a thoroughfare as it is right now. That will suck if that is the case. Have seen maps showing the proposed route and it also showed an off-shute road from the new highway leading into the back of the Brookfield Plains subdivision which is currently only accessible through Mount Pearl off Commonwealth Ave. Time will tell. I find these developments always change from the original plan by the time they get things completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's