HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 10:44 PM
Run with Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy2.0
Oh yeah, sounds like a plan.

What do you recommend is the best way of transit? Subways, Ave.'s, one way streets, bus stops? I have subways, but those dolts don't use them. Not sure if they are too far away from each other or not in enough res. areas or what. I'm at 130,000 and was thinking about starting over anyway. My city is all over the place right now.
I use subways, well I use the subway/bus stop off off Simtropis, so I get a Two in one. I use Mainly streets (mind you the roads that get zoned are what become my streets I just replace them.) I have one or two Ave's per city, and I sometimes use highways but most of the time I dont bother they take up to much space, and my cities are tranist based.

I should make a thread.... I think thats what I am going to do tonight. A 'how to make a wicked kick ass dense city'
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Aug 31, 2005, 3:31 AM

How do you not have traffic and car crashes up the wazoo if you don't use a lot of one way streets, ave.'s, highways...?

I have ave.'s and subways everywhere but the traffic is always horrible and they don't even take the subway... which I don't know why.

Maybe you should start that tread.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2005, 11:27 PM
Is Here To Stay. . .

Actually, traffic is cool. I love taking photos of my cities, with built up traffic, especially at night around one of the stadiums, arenas, or fields.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2005, 4:17 PM
30,000 Feet and Climbing

Quote:
How do you not have traffic and car crashes up the wazoo if you don't use a lot of one way streets, ave.'s, highways...?

I have ave.'s and subways everywhere but the traffic is always horrible and they don't even take the subway... which I don't know why.

The problem i have in my cities are major traffic problems. But i hate taking the time to build mass transit(probably shold have build mass transit before the city get crowded with skyscrapers ). And use your tax system to make those cities with one of each zone(i.e. resident, commerical, industry)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2005, 8:31 PM

I think if I made a an all R city, they would have the briefcase zot and complain about their time of commute and/or just become jobless. Then I get distressed buildings. That's what is semi-happening now in my city and it's mixed C and R!

I think I solved all my traffic problems. 1 way streets everywhere. F-ing beautiful! Oh, and bus stops every block.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 7:43 PM

my last region shots

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 12:02 AM
Look Up^

I got the single city population of a 1/4 sized tile up past 250,000 in one day. It was also the nastiest ghetto i had ever seen, rivaling that of Kowloon Walled City (now its demolished...good riddence).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 6:39 PM

just the other day i built a suburb along a highway that looks like those chinese ones with 40 highrises.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2005, 12:27 PM
Is Here To Stay. . .

LOL Their so easy to make, aren't they biguc?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2005, 12:22 AM

yeah, they really are. just put a bunch of 4x4 high density lots next to an interchange with open grass area between them. they produce loads of traffic too, which rules.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2005, 5:50 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

-*TDK*-

2.5 mil
my comric pop is 1.22 mil
my downtown comric pop is 955k
my downtown res pop 1.035 mil

super sized rail yard

Old Posted Dec 9, 2005, 7:28 PM
Posting Quick Reply

my jaw just hit the floor.

wow.

on sc4 the largest i built is about 200,000 I think. On sc3ku, I built a city of around 2.1 million based on miami.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2005, 9:22 PM

I just got a new computer,one capable of running SC4,so I'm a novice to that game and I'm awaiting SC 5000,or whatever Maxis names it.
I still run SC3K Unlimited,despite a few bugs I inherited when I reloaded to the new Dell.
The largest city I built on the old platform,before I dumped all my old cities was "Cleve" (...Lando Hio was Mayor...) and I created it using--duh--Cleveland as a prototype.

THE LOST CITY OF CLEVE

I played with this city for about a year creating and destroying until I got what I wanted,then would visit from time to time to make changes.
The city's airport,sports complex(Browns 'n Indians Park),rail yards and major industrial zones were all along the waterfront,eventually bleeding into expensive waterfront suburbs;industry followed the river and the shore,and most outlying neighborhoods were clean and eventually became high value zones.

Since Cleveland actually had a pretty good rail transit system,so did Cleve.Trains encircled the area,and all the stations were heavily used.Freeways bordered the top and bottom of the area,and just like in Ohio the CBD is bordered by twin limited-access highways and reached over big river bridges:a dual-laned inner loop/parkway circles the central city.Traffic was always moving around the CBD.I tried to follow actual street patterns,although that did grow into problems at times,like when I introduced freeways in the late 40's.

I used the Gold Tower flanked by 2 Retail Exchanges for the actual Terminal Tower,built a Public Square with a lot of old and new Landmarks around it and down along"Euclid Ave"I created a Mansion area; I plopped out the skyscrapers,zoned the Commercial area and the neighborhoods and historic areas within the CBD and I had a fair representation of the real city's skyline.A LOT of trial and error there.

CL,Ohio has an extensive Parks system,and I tried to imitate that in the game,devoting large areas to greenspace.It also has a lot of universities,and I built several neat campuses,including a Gothic John Carroll Univ and a zoomy,21St Century Cleve State campus.They were all placed in approximation of how the real city is laid out.

Cleve got built out.I found myself making tough decisions about what to tear down.The city eventually became a set peice,something I'd visit from time to time to see how things were and to see what happened when I clicked it to run.The only thing I could do was destroy to rebuild,and that was senseless.
Cleve was created mostly through cheats and plops,although I did allow a lot of the outlying zoned areas to do whatever the game wanted.

Cleve followed the 1900 timeline.I tried to develop the game along the lines of Cleveland's 20th Century evolution.I had a Depression in the '30s,taxes went way up and the City floundered.
There were wars,when whole neighborhoods were sacrificed for wartime production.After the war,it turned residential again.I allowed several fiscal crises,like a year without water,to test and discourage the city's success,because no matter what I did to it,Cleve,from about 1945 onward was amazingly successful.
Also,it was one of the few towns I made where Sims actually used the Expressways.For whatever the reason,these guys LOVED the freeways.

After awhile,I stopped using "i am weak" and let tax money fund everything.Tax money funded the waterfront airport (a major plop job)--and even rebuilt it again,tax money funded the subway and it paid for a huge,inept and expensive freeway realignment job,one that turned into a 1960's urban renewal project and caused me to take out loans to continue it.Tax money built the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Foam (That was it's name.It was California Plaza)an elaborate waterfront complex that I had to put in the wrong place,way across town from where the real one is located.

Taxes reached and stayed at 3%-4%(unless I raised them to fund projects),and provided more than enough to play.
Cleve reached 400,000 in the 1970s and was at 720,000 when it passed on.

Despite long corridors of high-density apartments,Cleve was predominantly low/mid residential with large areas of dark blue Property Values.The whole map was blue,except for a few areas.Some res wound up in the Hot zone near the Power Plant Cluster and always stayed a slum no matter how many parks and museums I'd plop there,so I let them be the ghetto.Surprisingly,res areas near heavy industry became high and sometimes astronomical.

It had tax revenues of 35,000 simoleans per year,high satisfaction and land value indices,ICR graphs were showing slight but even demand ratios,and the city just plain worked!
On August 22,2005,when both our calendars coincided,it passed forever --along with East Jesus,,Gonzo Quarters,Drughole,N Upper Lower E Side (NULES),Villagetown City and Butt,Montana(a city with NO highrises).
Yet of all my cities on th old disc,Cleve was the favorite,the most successful,the one most missed.It had 360,000 s in the bank,was awaiting 40,000 more and EVERYBODY was happy.
Oh,by the way,I'm NOT from Cleveland.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2005, 8:09 PM
Pessimistic Capricorn

My largest city is at 500 000 and still growing, up that is. Every square inch is built, minus the parks that will always stay. Infact I plan to increase park space by building more highrises while still getting the city to planned 1 million. This should be no problem since it is the main city of my region now at 2.5 million.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2005, 4:11 PM

City has 745,000 people metro region 1.2 million souls.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2005, 1:31 AM

Quote:

In my experience, you need to combine systems.

A good subway system is nothing without a bus system backing it up. If you look in the STEX exchange, you'll find some stops that you can plop right on the road (but NOT in front of rez sqaures, mind you). I typically put two of those near each other, one for each road direction.
When I did this, car usage plummeted, and both subway AND bus usage went up past car usage. My traffic levels nearly halved.

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

Old Posted Jan 1, 2006, 4:55 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs

super sized rail yard
OK. I wanna know your trick with that railyard thingy there, wit all dat cargo.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2006, 7:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

umm i just used the cargo lots from the airport packs on simtropolis..................

Old Posted Jan 1, 2006, 7:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

umm i just used the cargo lots from the airport packs on simtropolis..................
as you can see in this region view

Old Posted Jan 1, 2006, 9:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

as you can see in this region view

would like to add my completed airport in the next region over from my rail yard and a new image of my rail yard

TDK is now at 3.5 mil plp as well

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art