HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here are some more Park Sign Co photos I found. I drew a blank with 6201 Rita Street, but there is a Rita Avenue in Huntington Park.

I didn't find anything recognizable from these photos.
I did.

below: See that large building in the background on the right?

eBay[/QUOTE]

gsv

It looks like it might have been a large auditorium of some sort? An intriguing building to say the least.

google_earth

Here it is in relation to the old sign shop location.

_

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:50 AM

I don't believe we have seen this amazing photograph on nla.

The description is somewhat vague on calisphere.

"California Bank Building and view of street."

https://calisphere.org/item/ark:/13030/tf0b69n8cj/

I believe we're looking up 2nd Street from Fort (now Broadway)

This photograph of the California Bank Building was posted back in 2009.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=681

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:25 AM

I find this 'postcard' photograph quite intriguing.

ebay

The man holding the large fish, the obedient dog (cute!) and the stone thingy (I thought it was a water trough for horses) -then realized there's no place for water

On the reverse

The seller added who's who in the Eiss family. (and that Daniel was a doctor)

Dr. Daniel Eiss, Rosa Eiss (Wife) and Zula Eiss (Daughter)

They also added that Zula Eiss (Bradley) died in the Los Angeles area.
__

Here's a closer look.

detail

Oh to hear the story about that big fish.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 9, 2017 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I don't believe we have seen this amazing photograph on nla.

The description is somewhat vague on calisphere.

"California Bank Building and view of street."

https://calisphere.org/item/ark:/13030/tf0b69n8cj/

I believe we're looking up 2nd Street from Fort (now Broadway)

This photograph of the California Bank Building was posted back in 2009.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=681
Has the thread had this one?

odinthor collection

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
The short answer is, not that I know of.
I’ve been meaning to organize my files on the Hollywood drive-ins so here goes.
The Carpenter’s at Vine has been much shown, here…
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14241
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=29699
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17962
which are probably only a few of many more.
These pictures are all previously posted. (these drive-ins were here all those years yet there only seem to be a handful of photos of them).
I did some research using newspapers, city directories and the city online building records trying to get them organized in my mind. (Not going to post all the permits, unless someone wants them, I happily can do) So to round ‘em up: heading down Sunset

6285 Sunset NE Corner @ Vine
CARPENTER’S

This is the one that was demolished for the NBC studio.
• 1930 Carpenter’s builds a sandwich stand here.
• 1938 NBC builds its broadcasting studio here
• 1962 NBC’s Radio City is demolished

6-6-34 LATimes

6290 Sunset SE corner @ Vine
PIG STAND / CARPENTER’S / STAN’S

This is where Carpenter’s moved when its first Sunset & Vine stand was to be demolished. Originally though it was a rival drive-in operated by the Pig Stand chain from Texas. Not sure Pig Stand was still in biz when Carpenter’s took over the location in fall 1937. But carpenter’s demolished the building and put a new one built by engineer SB Barnes. They were there until it became a Stan’s, 1951.
• 1931 the Pig Stand BBQ Sandwich restaurant goes up.
• 1937 Sept. Carpenter’s demolishes the existing building, builds a new drive-in opens here.
• 1951 Carpenter’s becomes a Stan’s Drive-in
• 1961 Drive-in demolished for 20-story Sunset-Vine Tower

Getting back to E-R’s question, these were the only Carpenter’s on Vine that I know of.

6407 Sunset - NE cor @ Cahuenga & NW cor @ Ivar aka 1502 N. Cahuenga
ROBERTS/SCRIVNER’S

Scriveners at Cahuenga covered here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10601

Roberts leased this property in 1939, demolishing an existing building that had been something called the Hollywood Mercantile in the 1890s; since 1917 it had housed the Frank Meline-owned Hollywood Laundry. When Roberts came along, HL moved to the north, taking its roof-sign with it. Between 1952 and Nov 1956 became “Scrivner’s.” And some time in or around 1958 it became a gas station. Jack in the Box now occupies this property. Its Sunset address is 6407.
• 1890s Hollywood Mercantile
• 1917 Hollywood Laundry (owned by Frank Meline) buys this lot.
• 1939 Roberts Bros. lease the corner; builds its drive-in. Hollywood Laundry moves to the north
• 1952 The drive-in becomes Scrivner’s
• 1960 Drive-in is demolished for a service station (per building records)

matchbook from Roberts

11-30-56 LATimes

6760 SE cor @ Highland and cor @ McCadden
SIMON’S / STAN’S

One of two Simon’s on Sunset for a few years. Across from Hollywood High School and the Currie’s ice cream. Simon’s was here as of 1938. S.B. Barnes was engineer for the round building. As of December 1951 it became a Stan’s drive in. Since Stan’s took over the Carpenter’s at Vine that same year, there were now 2 Stan’s on Sunset. It was still a drive-in in 1971 when it was demolished.
• As of 1938 Simon’s Drive-in here
• 1951 Simon’s becomes Stan’s
• 1971 demolished.

7101 Sunset NW cor @ La Brea
MCDONNELL’S / TINY NAYLOR’S

McDonnell’s is here as of 1936 but isn't listed in their 1940 ad. By 1952 this location had become a Tiny Naylor’s drive in. No pictures (that I know of) showing it as McDonnell’s.
• As of 1936 Drive-in here
• 1952 Drive in becomes Tiny Naylor’s
• 1980’s Tiny Naylor’s demolished.

Jan 1940 LATimes

Colonial Drive In / Marquise

This is the one that became Marquise Restaurant (non-drive-in) covered here recently.

8801 Sunset @ Horn
SIMON’S / DOLORES’ / JACK’S ON THE STRIP

This was a Simon’s Drive in as of 1937 at least. In 1945 it was taken over by Amanda & Ralph Stephens, who’d founded the first Dolores in Oklahoma City, OK. Dolores isn't here as of 1950 and at some point a diner named “Jack’s on the Strip” opened here- no other info about the property until it was demolished for Tower Records.
• 1935-37: About this date Simon’s opens a sandwich stand here
• 1945: Dolores Drive-In opens here by this year
• 195?: Becomes Jack’s on the Strip drive-in
• 1970: demolished for Tower Records

as Simon's c. 1937

a as Dolores

9-28-50 LA Times

now a mystery drive in (mystery to me that is).
Hollywood Historic Photos has this view of a McDonnell’s captioned Sunset & Cahuenga 1941 and supposedly designed by Wayne McAlister.

here

I can sure see the influence of Wayne’s other 1941 design, the El Rancho Vegas in Nevada.
my files

But if that building was at Cahuenga and Sunset?…… I don’t know it.
• SE cor Sunset & Cahuenga: One of those under-photographed corners, I have no idea what was here. In the fall 1942-summer 1943 the American Women’s Voluntary Services (AWVS) had it HQ here, whatever it was. Amoeba Records is on this site now.
• NE cor Sunset & Cahuenga was the Robert’s
• NW corner Sunset & Cahuenga had been Sweet’s Furniture Exchange since 1935 (6425 Sunset)
• SW corner Sunset & Cahuenga was a Shell station.

There WAS a McDonnell’s at YUCCA and Cahuenga. I don’t know if that’s it, though. I found a record of Melvin (M.A.) McDonnell applying for a permit in 1932 at 1820 Cahuenga, NE corner but didn’t see a 1941 record. I think this must be the later location of Biff’s, whose sign (next to the gas station) is shown in E-R’s post here:

(There’s the family connection between Biff’s and Tiny Naylor’s and the McDonnell’s at La Brea became a Tiny Naylor’s) but I found no record of it in the online records either.
The first picture in this series is looking East at the corner of Glendale Avenue and Colorado Blvd. in Glendale. Carpenters became Henery's Chicken in the Rough. The tall stack in he background became a Lincoln, Mercury dealership by 1950. All of these building are long gone.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Has the thread had this one?

odinthor collection
Or this?

I'm curious about the business on the NE corner- perhaps a real estate office? Can't quite make out what the sign above the front says.
And is the banner hanging from the church (which church is that?) behind in a foreign alphabet or an ornate script? Or both?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
This remarkable view from Denver Library is looking south at what I believe to be Fort Hill. I think the photo must have been taken from near the Hebrew Cemetery, with Chavez Ravine Rd snaking thru the right foreground. A thousand apologies if this is rehash.

Is it just my fevered imagination or can we see the Baker and Wills homes? it seemed like a match the other night but now I'm not so sure.

ScottyB, we've seen that photo at NLA, but not in the context of looking for these homes, so thank you very much for
posting it. We determined it was taken sometime in 1888, and yes it is remarkable!

This what I see: below the red line = Wills home; yellow line = Baker carriage house; green line = Mary Banning home;
purple line = Hancock Banning home @ 416 N. Broadway; above the orange line is the Mary Banning stable/carriage house:

Enlargement of CHS.J3927 at Denver Public Library

Here's the 1888 Sanborn, which seems to match the photo pretty well. Neither 418-20 nor 426 N. Broadway are on the
map, and I don't see them in the photo:

1888 Sanborn Map @ ProQuest via LAPL

Although Milo Baker is listed at the SW [sic?] corner of Fort and Rock in the 1888 city directory, maybe the Baker
home was being built when the 1888 photo was taken? Otherwise, I think we'd see it, as we do below at center.
The 1888 photo seems to show that the pointy-towered Baker carriage house, to the left of the home, was built
first (I've marked the three buildings from the other photo with their same color):

LAPL 00061421 previously posted by me

The 1906 Sanborn's depiction of the north side of Fort Moore Place (formerly Rock Street) seems to match the photo above:

ProQuest via LAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Nice shot Flyingwedge. Do you think it was taken from 318 Court?

1910:

historicmapworks
Yes, or darn close to it. I sought but did not find a photo that looked the other way at that hill and that showed
the little home in the lower left of the 1876 photo.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 5, 2019 at 7:47 AM. Reason: stupid photobucket and its "~original" extension

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

I'm curious about the business on the NE corner- perhaps a real estate office? Can't quite make out what the sign above the front says.
And is the banner hanging from the church (which church is that?) behind in a foreign alphabet or an ornate script? Or both?

It's the First Presbyterian Church. The cornerstone was laid in February 1882, the church opened in April 1883, and it stood until c. March 1895.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
ScottyB, we've seen that photo at NLA, but not in the context of looking for these homes, so thank you very much for
posting it. We determined it was taken sometime in 1888, and yes it is remarkable!

This what I see: below the red line = Wills home; yellow line = Baker carriage house; green line = Mary Banning home;
purple line = Hancock Banning home @ 416 N. Broadway; above the orange line is the Mary Banning stable/carriage house:

Thanks fw! Very enlightening. I think you are correct, they must have built the outbuilding for the Baker home first...maybe as a workshop? Fun to see that particular moment in time.
And thanks for the Presbyterian Church ID!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

I'm guessing those are the first names of all five people in the photo, no?
Quote:

I did.

below: See that large building in the background on the right?

It looks like it might have been a large auditorium of some sort? An intriguing building to say the least.
I think I'd better put my glasses on before I post anything today .

Quote:

ebay

The man holding the large fish, the obedient dog (cute!) and the stone thingy (I thought it was a water trough for horses) -then realized there's no place for water.
Could it be a step for mounting horses? I haven't found any others with exactly this design, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:

ebay

The man holding the large fish, the obedient dog (cute!) and the stone thingy (I thought it was a water trough for horses) -then realized there's no place for water

On the reverse

The seller added who's who in the Eiss family. (and that Daniel was a doctor)

Dr. Daniel Eiss, Rosa Eiss (Wife) and Zula Eiss (Daughter)

They also added that Zula Eiss (Bradley) died in the Los Angeles area.
__

Here's a closer look.

detail

Oh, to hear the story about that big fish.

__
If this picture was taken in California, then the Eiss family was probably visiting here. They made their home in the Chicago area where Dr. Eiss was in practice. they also had a son, Daniel, who was a doctor as well. Daughter Zula married Alvin P. Bradley in Chicago in November of 1916. They lived in the Chicago area at least until 1934 when Zula was hostess for Delta Gamma Alumni at her "new home" in Glencoe. It appears that they also lived in the Chicago area for some time, but they both died in California. At the time of Alvin's death they were living in San Marino. A directory from 1951 gives an address of 1194 Oxford Road, San Marino. There is another for 1952 which has an address of 1215 Hillcrest Avenue. A directory for 1949 shows their address 2350 Robles Avenue, San Marino. Since the directory addresses change so frequently , it may be that they came to California for just the winter (or maybe the summer since he was a teacher) and rented property while here. They also may have stayed with friends or relatives in California. I do note that neither of the two other men, the one with the fish and the one closer to the palm, appear to be Zula's husband since he is described in his draft registrations as being of medium height and slender.

Last edited by oldstuff; Jun 9, 2017 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

This is such a nice image, I just wish it wasn't quite so murky and washed out. The high school building is easy enough to be made out in the full sized version and the absence of the third high school building (brick structure with the clock tower) hasn't begun to go up yet, helps with the dating. If you look closely in your detail image, and are a bit persistent, you can make out the J.W. Robinson Mansion (1887) lurking in the haze. If you follow the fence line that sits atop the cliff running west away from Mary Hollister Banning's carriage house it (the light colored fence) runs into the Robinson Mansion (a darkish structure with a light colored beltline at the eaves). While it addressed on Teed Street, Teed 'Street' was never an actual street but more just a set-aside on maps of the period and here it appears as little more than a fence line below the mansion. Access to the house was from Hill Street. Fun image.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:00 PM

Just for a change, a house from Julius Shulman that's not in Beverly Hills! This is "Job 2419: Jones and Emmons, Reicher House, 1957".

Here's a view showing some of the side.

A close-up of the front door.

The textured wall finish continues inside.

On the other side of the wall above, the kitchen.

All from Getty Research Institute

The house is still standing, virtually unchanged, at 2926 Club Drive, Cheviot Hills.

GSV

According to an article at ncmodernist.org, the house is "still owned by the Reicher family as of 2016". They've even kept sunburst in the kitchen - is it a clock?

All from www.ncmodernist.org/Joanne Reicher-Caro

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Just for a change, a house from Julius Shulman that's not in Beverly Hills! This is "Job 2419: Jones and Emmons, Reicher House, 1957".

On the other side of the wall above, the kitchen.
I used to own one of those black Barcelona chairs.... Very soigne looking but uncomfortable after about 10 minutes. I gave it away. [ Ludwig Mies van der Rohe design in 1929.]

modernclassics.com

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 9, 2017 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
"Dairy Farm, Self Help Association, Burbank/Los Angeles, 1936"

http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/i...0-e00a18066c61

I've never heard of the 'Self Help Association'.

Was this a WPA program?__
I don't believe there were any replies to this post from last year, but I now have a few more details.

For one: I didn't realize there was a stamp on the reverse of the photograph.

detail

So the program was part of the Resettlement Administration.
And much to my surprise, the photograph was taken by Dorothea Lange.

-here's some additional info:

"The self-help cooperative, Burbank, California. Organized August 1934. Now has seventy-six active members and is fairly successful.
Have applied to the Resettlement Administration for a loan. Have farm of one hundred eighty acres, and supply vegetables to members.
Also, the dairy yields 120 gallons of milk daily. Sixty-five cows."

A few more photographs.

picking up supplies. Burbank [1936]

https://www.loc.gov/item/fsa1998018347/PP/

unloading produce. Burbank [1936]

https://www.loc.gov/item/fsa1998018361/PP/

...both photos taken by Dorothea Lange.

_

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 11:58 PM

More signs by the Park Sign Shop.

I image this is advertising for the same place even though one says Ray's Beer Parlor and the other says Ray's Cafe.

ebay

At first I thought this was a billboard, but it's actually the back of the building.

ebay

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:03 AM

This photo is very similar to two that were posted yesterday, but it shows more of the garage next door. (part of the sign shop?)

ebay

Martin, note that Charlie is still holding the '69'. (maybe he's an apprentice and that's his first sign) or maybe he's looking for a date

_

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:45 AM

(my first thought that it was a water trough doesn't hold water)

Quote:
Originally Posted by "HossC'
Could it be a step for mounting horses? I haven't found any others with exactly this design, but it's the first thing that came to mind.
It could be Hoss, but I don't understand why the bottom of the 'carved-out' area would be curved like that. (especially if it's intended to be a step)

usually they look like this /

Thanks for the information on the Eiss family oldstuff. I appreciate it.
I agree that the home in the postcard might be the Eiss' summer home.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 10, 2017 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
(my first thought that it was a water trough doesn't hold water)

It could be Hoss, but I don't understand why the bottom of the 'carved-out' area would be curved like that. (especially if it's intended to be a step)

usually they look like this /

Thanks for the information on the Eiss family oldstuff. I appreciate it.
I agree that the home in the postcard might be the Eiss' summer home.
__
Just a guess but I suspect this block was re-purposed here.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
This is such a nice image, I just wish it wasn't quite so murky and washed out. The high school building is easy enough to be made out in the full sized version and the absence of the third high school building (brick structure with the clock tower) hasn't begun to go up yet, helps with the dating. If you look closely in your detail image, and are a bit persistent, you can make out the J.W. Robinson Mansion (1887) lurking in the haze. If you follow the fence line that sits atop the cliff running west away from Mary Hollister Banning's carriage house it (the light colored fence) runs into the Robinson Mansion (a darkish structure with a light colored beltline at the eaves). While it addressed on Teed Street, Teed 'Street' was never an actual street but more just a set-aside on maps of the period and here it appears as little more than a fence line below the mansion. Access to the house was from Hill Street. Fun image.
Also we have a good portion of the old pioneer's cemetery in the tree filled area - best look ever of it's easternmost half....Wouldn't it be great if this was a Tif file image that could be enlarged much more----

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos