HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 7:22 PM

Rancho Grande western cafe.

ebay

-the matchbook doesn't give a specific street address, just the vague Sunset & Cahuenga.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:12 PM

Bert RIVERE ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
cardboard advertisement

ebay
__
Our beloved noirish Uncle ! Ninja55 must not like that typo.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:17 PM

" Portugese [sic] Point, San Pedro"

ebay

I wasn't familiar with Portuguese Point so I had to do some googling.

I found out out it's located on the Palos Verde Peninsula, north of Inspiration Point.

http://geology.campus.ad.csulb.edu/p...tchapter3.html

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 10, 2014 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:34 PM

Hockey on Roller-Skates, 1926.

ebay

Can any of you sleuths figure out what roof she's on?

reverse

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 11:07 PM

I found some more pictures of Antoinette Pellant playing different roller-skate sports on the same roof. The other young lady is Doris Turner. I thought they might help in working out the location.
NB. I've grayscaled the photos and cropped the descriptions.

All pictures are from eBay.

Last edited by HossC; Oct 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 11:45 PM

By sheer luck, while perusing the Los Angeles Central City thread a few minutes ago, I think I spotted the rooftop.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6102

I believe our lovely ladies were playing roller-hockey (and tennis) on the roof that I've outlined in red.

That means the background in the vintage photos is the Los Angeles Athletics Club across the street. The skylight you see
is above the athletic club's swimming pool (shown below). You can see the very top of the skylight in two of the photos from 1926.

old file/m

Now I need to go down to street level to find the name of the building that the roller-skaters were actually on. (unless someone beats me to it )

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 11:57 PM
BANNED

LA's nude beach.....Supposedly

Quote:
" Portugese [sic] Point, San Pedro"

I wasn't familiar with Portuguese Point so I had to do some googling.

I found out out it's located on the Palos Verde Peninsula, north of Inspiration Point.

__
I recognized that area immediately, ER. That's Smuggler's Cove Los Angeles' more or less only unofficial nude beach. I've been there in my youth... several times. It's difficult to get to and there are no toilets. Sometimes there's gawkers on the overlooking cliffs. When the LA County sheriffs would occasionally arrive...it was back to swimsuits. I don't know the status of the Cove today...nude or otherwise. One of my old 1976 Long Beach neighbors used to go there....often. A Catholic priest I knew used to be a regular there.

That's a very active earthquake zone....sometimes all day. The last time I was there in the 1980s, sand and rocks were literally falling all day from the cliffs. One had to keep moving your beach towel to keep from being hit.

The world famous Wayfarer's Chapel is nearby. [Left side of photo.]

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Oct 11, 2014 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:

By sheer luck, I was looking at the Los Angeles Central City thread a few minutes ago and I think I found the rooftop.

I believe our lovely ladies were playing roller-hockey on the roof that I've outlined in red.
The background in the vintage photos is the Los Angeles Athletics Club across the street. The skylight you see is above
the athletic club's Olympic size pool (shown below).

old file/m

I need to go down to street level to find the name of the building that the roller-skaters were actually on.
In 1926, the ladies would have been on the roof of the Ville de Paris department store. The building is still there, even if the store isn't. Flyingwedge wrote about it in post #21204.

LAPL

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:28 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6764607] By sheer luck, while perusing the Los Angeles Central City thread a few minutes ago, I think I spotted the rooftop.

I believe our lovely ladies were playing roller-hockey (and tennis) on the roof that I've outlined in red.

That means the background in the vintage photos is the Los Angeles Athletics Club across the street. The skylight you see
is above the athletic club's swimming pool (shown below). You can see the very top of the atrium in two of the photos from 1926.

Nice find ER - I might have located the place in a year or two.

The ladies look like they can certainly roller skate, but this hockey stick is about a foot too long to be of any real use to this girl.

ebay

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:54 AM

Denel's Music Store label

Someone just sent me a photo of a Denel's Music Store label -- it's from a record label bought there by his father.
I thought people who lurk here might like to see it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 5:08 AM

West 51st Street & South Main Street, Los Angeles, CA, 1932

Nice to see that Al's Barber Shop was sanitary

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/65062/rec/14

Today:

Google Street View

Today:

Google Street View

Today:

Google Street View

Some Details:

A close up view of the streetcar "safety" zone:

A couple of lonely guys:

Note the sign on the curb which reads "No Standing". Did that mean no standing close to the curb or no standing in the "safety" zone until
the streetcar was nearby?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I recognized that area immediately, ER. That's Smuggler's Cove Los Angeles' more or less only unofficial nude beach. I've been there in my youth... several times. It's difficult to get to and there are no toilets. Sometimes there's gawkers on the overlooking cliffs. When the LA County sheriffs would occasionally arrive...it was back to swimsuits. I don't know the status of the Cove today...nude or otherwise.
I visited it a lot in the early to mid-1990s, including the afternoon/evening before the 1994 Northridge earthquake. If I recall correctly, the city of Rancho Palos Verdes passed an ordinance against nudity at the beach some time in the late 1990s, and began cracking down in earnest. I haven't been back in years and don't know the current status. The hike up and down that hillside was quite a workout!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 5:37 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6764196]I've had this photograph in an old file of mine for quite some time. I found it on ebay (the seller was asking $400).

This is an interesting youtube video of Robert Mitchum discussing Marilyn Monroe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKUtW-aDHM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 5:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Nice to see that Al's Barber Shop was sanitary

Today:

Google Street View

]
The photo above shows two blocks that have been left empty after the riots. Those were dark days....I lived through them.

In spite of millions of dollars being spent to rehab the area after the two infamous Riots, South Central Los Angeles is still a ''dead zone''. Few if any big-name stores want to locate in the area. Anyway, life goes on. Hopefully things will improve during the next thirty years.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 5:57 AM

Quote:
I found this 1940 map of Hancock Park District last night on ebay.
Nice find! Is that a streetcar line extending down San Vicente?

Recently the building at the southeast corner of La Brea and Edgewood underwent a major overhaul, and for a time the renovation work exposed a fascinating peek at the building's distant past. I don't know if anyone else took photos and shared them here, so I'll risk it and post mine. I don't know what years it existed as Calers Food Center, but I'll risk a guess at the 1930s/1940s. I love the sunburst design at the top, and I'm really curious about what might have been mounted in those two large horizontal areas...Coca-Cola signs, perhaps?

Sadly, the renovations are done now and the Calers imprint is no longer visible.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
Someone just sent me a photo of a Denel's Music Store label -- it's from a record label bought there by his father.
I thought people who lurk here might like to see it.

For record buyers in Hollywood, Denel's and Phil Harris Records on Hollywood Boulevard were second only to Wallich's Music City at Sunset and Vine.

Last edited by BDiH; Oct 11, 2014 at 6:19 AM. Reason: correction

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post

Recently the building at the southeast corner of La Brea and Edgewood underwent a major overhaul, and for a time the renovation work exposed a fascinating peek at the building's distant past. I don't know if anyone else took photos and shared them here, so I'll risk it and post mine. I don't know what years it existed as Calers Food Center, but I'll risk a guess at the 1930s/1940s. I love the sunburst design at the top, and I'm really curious about what might have been mounted in those two large horizontal areas...Coca-Cola signs, perhaps?

Sadly, the renovations are done now and the Calers imprint is no longer visible.
Great pictures, Handsome Stranger. I always find it fascinating when old signs are revealed during renovations - I'd love to find a vintage picture of the store. You were right with your guess about the age. The property websites list a build date of 1933 for 1150 S La Brea Avenue, and the Caler Grocery Co include that address in their City Directory listings for 1936 (below), 1938 and 1939. Although the company still had nine stores listed in 1942, the one on La Brea wasn't among them.

LAPL

Those signs have done well to survive. I've found at least four companies at that address since Calers closed their doors. These dates are based upon their appearances in the City Directories.

1956-63 Nash La Brea Autos
1965 Hi Performance Motors
1967-73 General Bottle Supply Co
1987 Erecter Set Inc

It's the 1965 company that interests me most. From 'Shelby Cobra Fifty Years' by Colin Comer, "Hi-Performance Motors (HPM) was essentially the Shelby American factory outlet store and owned by Caroll Shelby, Lew Spencer, Peyton Cramer, Al Dowd and Tom Reese. Most factory demonstrators and PR cars were sold at HPM. The dealership operated from 1964 through 1967 and is really the Shelby dealership." A post on saacforum.com says the company was at the 1150 South La Brea address until October 1965, when they moved to 901 North Sepulveda Boulevard, El Segundo.

According to 'Shelby Mustang' by Tom Corcoran, the company was still at the La Brea location when Peyton Cramer closed the deal with Hertz for the (in)famous 1966 GT-350H models.

books.google.com

I also found this advert for Hi-Performance Motors.

www.classictiger.com

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Rancho Grande western cafe.

ebay

-the matchbook doesn't give a specific street address, just the vague Sunset & Cahuenga.
Was trying to find something else about the Rancho Grande place, of course we don't know "when" it was there, either. I was looking up photos of Scrivner's Drive-In which was on one of those corners in the 50's, and looking at Hollywood Canteen photos of the area, that was near the southwest corner of Sunset & Cahuenga in the 40's. Not finding anything yet.

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 13, 2018 at 8:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 9:24 PM

Thanks for trying M_P. I haven't found anything on the Rancho Grande either.

FredH. I enjoyed your series of before & after photos of S. Main and 51st Street.

originally posted by FredH

I was going to joke about the 'bird' on the Main St. sign (thinking it was actually a wire connector behind the sign.
But after looking a little closer, I see that it's throwing a shadow onto the sign, as if it's perched on it.
Hmmm...so is it a bird after all?

Here's a wooden survivor on 51st just off Main St.

GSV

Further west on 51st Street, nearer to Broadway, is this impressive survivor.

GSv

Between the two are numerous bungalows with some fine craftman's details.

GSV

CBD had mentioned the many empty lots, and the inability to get investments in the area.
So I was surprised/pleased to see this large construction project rising on Main St. across the street (and a little bit south)
of the corner store shown in FredH's black & white photograph from 1932.

GSV

And as if by magic, here it is finished. (time traveling from one google-car to another)

GSv

I must say it's a nice looking project. (especially compared to some of the other projects being built in L.A.)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 11, 2014 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 9:44 PM

This link by HossC, which includes a quoted post by e_r, are the only photos (actual and postcard) of the Bublichki Russian Restaurant on 8846 Sunset Boulevard that I see on NLA.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=19590

I discovered this street photo on a post Martin Turnbull did relatively recently on his website. Bublichki's is on the left side of the photo. Dated 1945.

There is also this postcard:

...and six photos of the menu:

We suggest to start your dinner with 'Zakuska'

To see that, click HERE.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos