HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 4:58 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

yupyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Hey jtrent77, Welcom aboard the forum.

Tangeld, Tibble Fork would be the first smaller lake/reservoir you came to at the bottom, before you left the paved road and took the right on the dirt road to your photo op. Like jtrent specified, your photo's/or the ones pictured above are of Silver Lake Flats Resevoir. Here's Tibble Fork below.

Tibble Fork Reservoir

wunderground.com

After the Reservoir Flats, you can cross the river in a jeep/horse/bicycle etc. and continue on up on this road pictured. If you're in a 4x4, I would reccomend a jeep or something with a shorter wheel base, because of many very tight switchbacks. I've taken allot of out of town visitors up to the top on this road. It is phenominally fun and incredibly beautiful. You can drive almost to the 11,000-plus foot level. A short hike at the end of the road, will take you up to the ridge, where you can look over to Alta/Snowbird and the Tram tower.

That's right I got mixed up for some reason.... and Yeah we went up there in a jeep and it was actually pretty nice weather too. I'm going to go upload a few onto photobucket and then post 'em in a new thread for everybody to enjoy

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 12:47 PM

Ground broken on huge project - also posted on Ogden/Davis thread

http://davisclipper.com/pages/full_s...st_left&open=&

HILL AIR FORCE BASE — Ground was formally broken about noon Friday on what is eventually envisioned as a multi-billion dollar public-private partnership at Hill Air Force Base.

The West Side Development “Falcon Hill Project” is set to eventually encompass 550 acres, stretching north from Clearfield to Roy.

Within the next 25 years, upwards of 75,000 new, high-paying jobs could be created, officials said.

“This is a one-of-a kind project in the entire country,” said Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr., comparing it to the University of Utah’s Research Park startup 40 years ago. Since then, it has created thousands of bio-medically related jobs...

Falcon Hill breaks ground at HAFB

http://deseretnews.com/community/davis/

The Department of Defense and private developer Sunset Ridge Development LLC have signed a 50-year lease for 550 acres on the west end of Hill Air Force Base, where a $1.5 billion aerospace research park, seen in this rendering, will be built. (Courtesy of Hill Air Force Base )

HILL AIR FORCE BASE - State leaders see millions of dollars and thousands of jobs flowing from a planned aerospace research and office park to be built on Hill Air Force Base's western edge.

The first phase of construction is set to begin this fall and will include 2 million square feet of office and retail space, and hotels, on 180 acres largely focused at the Clearfield and Roy gates.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 12, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 1:03 PM

Park City - New hospital half-way done
-
Windows and doors go in soon, heat turned on by November

http://www.parkrecord.com/business/ci_10690551

Construction on the hospital at Quinn s Junction is expected to be done in 2009, with the first patients to be treated next summer. Photo by David Ryder/Park Record

The Park City Medical Center (the new hospital at Quinn's Junction) is a little past half-way in its construction, and with about 130 workers on site each day, is complete enough to engender visions of the finished product...

..In the past, hospitals were designed to grant maximum convenience to the caregivers, They are now designed to be functional and accessible for the patients at their core, with the needs of the caregivers built around that.

The Park City hospital exemplifies that new strategy from its aesthetic design to the building layout, Gomez explained...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 1:33 AM

Falcon Hill at HAFB

Delts: Great news! The Falcon Hill development at Hill will be huge! Although the Air Force has put the official brakes on the "official" Cyber Command at Hill, everything I hear is that the Air Force is going to piece-meal that Command to Hill over a couple of years, out of the public spotlight. Falcon Hill is the first step. It's ironic that a project like this, which is essentially a done deal with enormous ramifications for Utah, is taking place with little fanfare. I think the opening of the IKEA store in Draper got more hype.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 2:16 AM

Park City and Springdale noted for beauty
Forbes Traveler puts them on its top 20 'prettiest towns' list

Image credits: Forbes Traveler

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...265546,00.html

By Rebecca Palmer and Nancy Perkins
Deseret News
Published: October 11, 2008

Two Utah towns are feeling pretty, witty and very pleased with themselves after being recognized as lovely by a national travel publication.
Park City in Utah's north and Springdale, the gateway to Zion National Park, made the Forbes Traveler list of 20 "prettiest towns in America," published online Tuesday.

The list highlights several quaint Victorian-era towns from the East Coast but also draws attention to spots as diverse as Flagstaff, Ariz., and the gold-mining ghost town of Bodie, Calif. The list was compiled by a travel photographer, travel authors and an urban designer.

Springdale town manager Rick Wixom was "tickled and very pleased" to learn of his town's placement on the list of delightful locales.

"It was a total shock to us. We're pretty excited, though. It's nice to be recognized," Wixom said. "We have a lot of very concerned citizens who care how the town looks and feels."

Springdale is home to about 500 full-time residents, but 3 million visitors stop for a visit each year or drive through on their way to see the red rocks of Zion.

Members of the Springdale Town Council are conscious of the town's appeal and the ordinances governing development reflect that concern, Wixom said.

"We're trying to keep an atmosphere of small-town charm," he said. "Springdale is really a wonderful place to live and work. It's full of people who care about their town."

Park City Mayor Dana Williams said the town's "prettiness" has more to do with what it hasn't built than what it has.

Dozens of brightly colored residences in "Old Town" are restored historic homes, he said.

"While (the town) has morphed over time, there has been a very strong preservation mentality," he said. "We're not doing it to be like Disneyland."

The "drop-dead gorgeous" town has also benefited from protecting 7,000 acres of open space and keeping development at the base of snow-capped peaks, Williams said.

Home to the Sundance Film Festival and close to several premier ski resorts, Park City boasts a population of 6,500.

Park City's ski and tourism industries rival those in Aspen, Colo., which also made Forbes' list. But though some of the basic beauty is similar, the Utah town is a lot less expensive and easier to get to, Williams said.

Photos of towns featured by the travel magazine can be found at forbestraveler

.com/best-lists. For further information on visiting Utah's acclaimed pretty spots, visit parkcity.org or springdaletown.com.

Link to Forbes article: http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-l...wns-story.html

Last edited by skyguy414; Oct 12, 2008 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 12:55 PM

^^^
Thanks for bringing that to our attention Skyguy. I love Park City...Can't get enough of it.

America's Prettiest Towns

...“I felt that for a town to be considered ‘pretty,’ it must have something more going for it than simply enjoying a ‘pretty’ location,” says travel writer Greg Ward, co-author of The Rough Guide to the USA. “The town itself has to have some aesthetic appeal on a human scale.” ...

Sarah Tuff Dunn, describing her first visit to Park City, Utah, says, “I was struck by just how blue the sky was, and how dry the air, during a ski trip one March. I was used to soggy or icy conditions back East. After I skied seemingly bottomless powder at nearby Deer Valley, the whole town of Park City (which looked like a candy village, thanks to all the different colors of the Victorian buildings) seemed like it was on some crazy high from the sun, the snow and the altitude.”

Last edited by delts145; Oct 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 1:17 PM

A redeveloping Murray struggles to keep its history

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10708498

Murray is trying to revitalize its downtown, which has a few buildings of historic significance like the Hoffman builidng at 4832 South State St. Recently, one developer wanted to demolish the building, but after struggling with the planning commission, they decided to alter their plans and keep the facade of the building while letting the developer turn the ground floor into a retail business and the upstairs as apartments. (Al Hartmann photo/Salt Lake Tribune )

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 1:29 PM

Sound stages and studios? - S.L. County Council hopeful vows to make Magna a film hot spot

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10708501

Rowand W.

Picture this: An artsy Magna Main Street with sound stages, production houses, even a film festival.
That's the vision of Salt Lake County Council candidate Paul Pugmire, who rolled out plans this week to make Magna a hot spot for movie and television production.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 6:57 AM

That photo is such a perfect example of the long-lost but highly-sought-after Small Town America we hear so much about...
I think it would be awesome for Magna to get this opportunity.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 6:57 AM

BTW Springdale was number two on the pretty list

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 7:28 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Rio Tinto Pics

Rio Tinto Stadium.
Oct. 14, 2008

As most of you guys know last week the new Rio Tinto Stadium ( RSL Stadium ) opened. Today I had the day off and I was in the area. As I went to check out the new stadium I notice that one of the gates were open. So I got a inside peak of the stadium.
Here are some of the photos I took of the stadium this morning. Video to follow soon.

Go RSL!!!
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 9:28 PM

Very cool Projects,.... Like the MLS Chief said," This is the soccer stadium that all future soccer stadiums should emulate."

Oh, I forgot Projects about something I noticed over on 106th today, when I was in that area. Over on the west side of I-15, in the Riverbottom, the new 'River Grove Center.' Wow, I've got to say that those midrises were really beautiful. I didn't have time to stop and take a longer look, but how many stories are they anyway? I thought to myself, "I would really like to take four of those and stack them downtown. That would make one very nice looking highrise. Is the 'River Grove' a part of Sandy or West Jordan?

Last edited by delts145; Oct 14, 2008 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 11:11 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Rio Tinto video Tour

Here is the video I put together today while I was at the stadium.
Video Link
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 1:37 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

That is actually located in South Jordan. As soon as you cross under the tracks just west of I-15 on 106th you enter South Jordan. Yes those are nice buildings and I think the same thing everytime I drive past an office park, stack them up and put them downtown.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 11:06 AM

Thanks Future Mayor for that clarification, I have a hard time keeping track of all of the boundaries in the metro, LOL.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 11:45 AM

Legendary Developer Passes - He changed the face of Utah's ski and tourist industry.

He made Utah into a ski resort juggernaut

Edgar B. Stern Jr.
1922-2008

By Mike Gorrell
The Salt Lake Tribune

Edgar B. Stern Jr., the New Orleans businessman who helped put Utah skiing on the world map through his creation of Deer Valley Resort and his earlier ownership of what is now Park City Mountain Resort, has died. He was 86.
His death Sunday in Seattle comes four months after that of Nick Badami, who bought Park City Resort from Stern in 1975. That freed Stern to pursue the development of Deer Valley into one of the country's poshest communities.
"It's the changing of an era," said Tom Welch, who received financial and moral support from both men in bringing the 2002 Winter Olympics to Utah. "Edgar was one of the early visionaries of what the Olympics could do to change the image of Utah skiing, in particular Park City. He was one of the first to reach into his pockets and help fund the campaign."
An heir of a Sears, Roebuck & Co. chairman, Stern expanded his fortune by opening the first commercial television station in Louisiana, in 1948; developing luxury hotels in New Orleans and San Francisco; and building the first air-conditioned shopping center in the Gulf Coast region.
He moved to Aspen in 1968, advancing its transformation into a jet-set haven through real estate development and support for community culture.
He took his first look at Park City that year, admitting later, "I was a little shocked at how everything was terribly run down." Stern helped change that image.
Cognizant that newly constructed Interstate 80 would make Park City a quick commute from Salt Lake City International Airport, he bought Treasure Mountains Resort in 1969 from United Park City Mines and turned it into Park City Resort.
Stern invested heavily in building lifts and base facilities. He also brought along Norwegian Olympic champion and ski legend Stein Eriksen to set up the ski program and give the resort broader recognition.
After some ups and downs, Stern sold Park City Resort to Badami, former chairman of underwear company BVD and owner of Alpine Meadows ski area in California. Badami had come to ski Park City with son Craig and met Stern while staying at the C'est Bon Hotel, built by Stern's business group.
As part of the deal, Stern's Royal Street Land Co. retained the rights to 1,700 acres of private land nearby. That became Deer Valley, the venue for three Olympic events in 2002 and Ski magazine's designee as North America's top resort for two years running.
"That was his land. He decided what took place. One reason Deer Valley is No. 1 is because he had a marvelous dedication to servicing the customer," said Skip Branch, a Salt Lake City advertising executive whose former company, Harris & Love, was Deer Valley's agency.
"He hated hyperbole. Never promise more than you can deliver was his mantra, and it fed through everything - the staff and all of the communication about Deer Valley," Branch recalled. "He was concerned about every aspect of Deer Valley and its brand. That brand was quality."
Although Stern had lived on San Juan Island, Wash., since 1986, he remained chairman of Royal Street Corp. until handing over the reins to his son, Lessing, in 2007. The elder Stern was inducted into the Intermountain Ski Hall of Fame in 2005 and received the University of Utah Ski Archives' top honor, the S.J. Quinney Award, a year later.
Stern is survived by his wife of 61 years, Polly, one daughter, three sons, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. The family is having a private memorial service but intends to have a public celebration of his life later in Park City.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 11:51 AM

Latest Job Stats - Utah job growth slight but better than national average

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705255346,00.html

Over all, job growth in Utah plateaued at 0.1 percent in September, compared with September 2007, the report said. The state added 1,800 jobs from September 2007 to September 2008, which raised the statewide total number of wage and salary jobs to about 1.27 million.

The state jobless rate, meanwhile, was at 3.5 percent in September, a slight decline from the 3.7 percent reported in August. Nationally, the unemployment rate was at 6.1 percent in September. About 48,300 Utahns were considered unemployed in September, compared with 38,400 in September 2007.

Salt Lake Tribune

National Unemployment 6.1% - Latest figures as of September 2008

Utah............3.5%

Wyoming.......4.0%

Montana.......4.4%

Idaho...........5.0%

Colorado.......5.4%

Arizona.........5.6%

New Mexico...6.9%

Nevada.........7.1%

also of interest:

Washington...6.0%

Oregon.........6.5%

California......7.7%

Last edited by delts145; Oct 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 1:13 PM

Avalon, Murray theater find new life and purpose

http://www.sltrib.com/midvalley/ci_10678371

The Murray Theater in Murray and Salt Lake City's Avalon Theater have long been neighbors in the Salt Lake Valley.
Built in the late '30s and '40s, these two theaters were beacons of that era's cultural climate and featured intimate community-based entertainment.

The Murray Theater has found new purpose under the management of The Kollective, a concert-promotion and booking company. (Heidi Atkin/Close-Up Correspondent )

... For its part, The Murray Theater is increasing the viability of the small theater. For prices near or below $20, concert-goers can see shows like indie star Ray LaMontagne on Oct. 28 and in a Nov. 10 spoken-word performance, Henry Rollins.... Adams said the Murray attracts various artists including some big names.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Legendary Developer Passes - He changed the face of Utah's ski and tourist industry.
Am I a bad person for quickly scrolling down to see if it was Earl Holding that had died as soon as I saw this headline?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 6:14 PM

If you are, so am I

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Am I a bad person for quickly scrolling down to see if it was Earl Holding that had died as soon as I saw this headline?
Haha! I totally did the same thing. And I was disappointed to see that it wasn't him. See ya in Hell, buddy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West