HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
I see on Fundy Harbour Group's Linkedin page that they posted a video advertising the South-West building. The beginning of the video clip is a new rendering of the property, looking from the direction of the port. https://ca.linkedin.com/company/fundy-harbour-group

What's interesting is in this rendering the smaller "cultural building" is still there. The most recent site plan was updated to show that cultural building gone, with the North-West building moved closer to the water. Making room for a parking garage building with ground floor commercial between the North-West and North-East buildings. Wondering which version of plans are actually happening?

Good question. While I have nothing specific to go on I suspect it could well be just a case of an older image slipping into the video. I don't see the cultural space as a priority and parking is certainly an issue with Fundy Quay's inability to put 2 or 3 levels underground. From the images I've seen the residential units will be high end and I would expect most residents will have at least one vehicle and many will have two.

The only other thought that comes to mind is maybe they are in talks with the museum for an exhibition space that could host travelling exhibits or specific exhibits from the museum that could be changed out every few months. It would certainly be higher visibility/higher traffic in terms of casual passers by than the Douglas Ave location.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 3:23 PM

Today they are taking apart the mini crane vehicle that's on site.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Good question. While I have nothing specific to go on I suspect it could well be just a case of an older image slipping into the video. I don't see the cultural space as a priority and parking is certainly an issue with Fundy Quay's inability to put 2 or 3 levels underground. From the images I've seen the residential units will be high end and I would expect most residents will have at least one vehicle and many will have two.

The only other thought that comes to mind is maybe they are in talks with the museum for an exhibition space that could host travelling exhibits or specific exhibits from the museum that could be changed out every few months. It would certainly be higher visibility/higher traffic in terms of casual passers by than the Douglas Ave location.
Updating 3D renders isn't super cheap or simple yet. With only the south half of the site having firm plans/designs, why revamp the north half to accommodate non-concrete plans? I presume it'll change again before construction kicks off.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Updating 3D renders isn't super cheap or simple yet. With only the south half of the site having firm plans/designs, why revamp the north half to accommodate non-concrete plans? I presume it'll change again before construction kicks off.
I can't claim to know anything about it but hearing that surprises me. I would have thought making changes would be pretty simple and straightforward with appropriate software......(sort of just cut and paste)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I can't claim to know anything about it but hearing that surprises me. I would have thought making changes would be pretty simple and straightforward with appropriate software......(sort of just cut and paste)
To be fair, it isn't just the software. There is time-cost going back and forth with the client and settling on a final design. This team obviously has some pretty high standards and are attentive to the details. So, they likely don't want to push anything out until they are 100% certain they have landed on a final design worth sharing to the public. I actually appreciate that as less experienced developers can often go through 30-40 different iterations they reveal to the public - which just looks sloppy. Just head to the Urban Toronto database and look at some of the renderings over time for some projects...mind blowing! LOL

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 6:31 PM

Walking around the site today during a very Spring-like lunchhour, I am really starting to see the feel for what the area will be like and I'm very excited about it! The new Harbour Passage section around the wharf face looks really nice and has far more usable amenities than the rest of the trail IMO. It's also great to see the outline of the first building very clearly delineated thanks to the excavation and the piles in the ground, it helps give a sense of scale to all of the renderings shared above.

I do wonder about the timeline still however, it's nearly March and there is still a ton left to do on the northern side of things, especially up toward the Convention Centre entrance where the old wooden boardwalk is torn up and there is still a lot of fill and construction left at the end of Market Slip by the tidal steps.

Fingers crossed we still get to enjoy this by the beginning of Summer!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 8:04 PM

This will be transformational. Back in the 80s, I remember the two competing waterfront events that happened between Saint John and Halifax. Saint John got Market Square, whereas Halifax got Historic Properties. Neither are (IMHO) what they were when they first launched. However, Halifax clearly moved past that while Saint John sputtered with failed attempt after another to get the rest of the waterfront "moving forward".

It is so awesome to see things finally (even though slower than what many on these boards might like to see) progressing. Within 5 years, we are going to have a waterfront that will be world-class. And this will only catapult future development and more exciting announcements for the rest of the peninsula.

As Yoda would say to all of us: "Have none. Patience. Exciting things, future coming."

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
This will be transformational. Back in the 80s, I remember the two competing waterfront events that happened between Saint John and Halifax. Saint John got Market Square, whereas Halifax got Historic Properties. Neither are (IMHO) what they were when they first launched. However, Halifax clearly moved past that while Saint John sputtered with failed attempt after another to get the rest of the waterfront "moving forward".

It is so awesome to see things finally (even though slower than what many on these boards might like to see) progressing. Within 5 years, we are going to have a waterfront that will be world-class. And this will only catapult future development and more exciting announcements for the rest of the peninsula.

As Yoda would say to all of us: "Have none. Patience. Exciting things, future coming."

Nice to hear! In the end it’s all about creating beautiful / inspiring spaces and in that regard uptown SJ has it in the bag.

Last edited by cdnguys; Feb 28, 2024 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Today they are taking apart the mini crane vehicle that's on site.

I wonder now with all the Irving cranes dismantled. Will they have a tower crane to service the the construction phase of the first two buildings?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I wonder now with all the Irving cranes dismantled. Will they have a tower crane to service the the construction phase of the first two buildings?
I would be surprised if they did. The first building is only 6 stories and given that they didn't drive piles for the second yet, I think it's safe to say it is still at least a year from starting. Tower cranes are expensive and they wouldn't set it up for the taller buildings until absolutely necessary.

I'm sure we'll see a smaller crane for the first building, similar to the one used for The Wellington.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
I would be surprised if they did. The first building is only 6 stories and given that they didn't drive piles for the second yet, I think it's safe to say it is still at least a year from starting. Tower cranes are expensive and they wouldn't set it up for the taller buildings until absolutely necessary.

I'm sure we'll see a smaller crane for the first building, similar to the one used for The Wellington.
I would expect one of those smaller self contained tower cranes with counterweights that sit on the ground.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 12:01 AM

Fundy Harbour Group is adverting multiple job listings on Linkedin are available to join the team to "reshape the Saint John waterfront!". In the post is another updated rendering. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/fundy...member_desktop

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 1:11 AM

Very odd/disjointed design if the rendering is at all accurate. The vintage, retro brick look of the podium is completely at odds with the tower.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 7:56 PM

I have it on good authority concrete pouring starts in 3 weeks. And, the design of the 2nd building is basically locked in.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I have it on good authority concrete pouring starts in 3 weeks. And, the design of the 2nd building is basically locked in.
That would be fantastic to see, I cannot wait to watch this first building go up - but I'm even more excited to see the 2nd one, which I feel is a far better design and will really change our waterfront and skyline (although admittedly it is at the bottom of a big hill, so it won't show up at all from some angles).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:41 AM

Someone took a drone shot of the site 2 days ago on April 2nd, 2024.

(Photo was posted in the comments section of a post on Retail Talk & Share NB Facebook group).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 11:40 AM

Interesting to see just how big of a footprint the first building will have.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:55 PM

From the webcam this morning there is an excavator digging at the SE corner of the proposed first building, looks like the foundation work is beginning.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Someone took a drone shot of the site 2 days ago on April 2nd, 2024.

(Photo was posted in the comments section of a post on Retail Talk & Share NB Facebook group).
Anyone else notice the work along the water in front of the site? Looks like benches and some other items being prepped to have it open while the construction progresses. I wasn't aware of this but you can clearly see things being installed if you Zoom in.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
From the webcam this morning there is an excavator digging at the SE corner of the proposed first building, looks like the foundation work is beginning.
Could also just be work on Harbour Passage

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces