HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Well, that's disappointing.

PS, does anyone else despise that little obelisk at the corner there? It really gets in the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
You mean 'Prime Matter?' That thing is cool. It catches on fire from time to time.
Gotta agree, that structure looks amazing at night when it's on fire. Sure as hell beats the Triforium or Oscar de la Hoya statue.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
So, "The public is invited to watch the pour from a viewing area at 1000 Wilshire Boulevard" is clearly misinformation to some degree. Wedbush is currently "a secure area" for VIPs right now, a.k.a. caterers, media, men in suits, and a blonde bitch that pissed me off. Hopefully the area is opened up to the public once the ridiculous pomp is all wrapped up.
They opened up the Plaza of 1000 Wilshire after all the VIP's left. I got up there no problem when I got off work at 9pm. Was watching it for a couple of hours, people were coming and going when they wanted.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Well, that's disappointing.

PS, does anyone else despise that little obelisk at the corner there? It really gets in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
You mean 'Prime Matter?' That thing is cool. It catches on fire from time to time.

Quote:
Gotta agree, that structure looks amazing at night when it's on fire. Sure as hell beats the Triforium or Oscar de la Hoya statue.
Yeah...... I didn't want to be the first to respond to that but that thing at night is really cool...especially when its set on fire ... adds to the overall aesthetics to that building..... On another note... the Wilshire Grand was featured on a 5 min story on KTLA5, the first 5 minuets of tonight's 10 oclock broadcast. KTLA got their hands on some new renderings that I haven't seen on here yet, including one that showed the building at night being viewed from the west side. Looks really good in the renderings they showed.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:05 AM

Yeah, they appear in this video

KTLA

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 2:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

L.A.'s skyline is definitely growing longer and wider. Which is great! LA Live from the right angle gives that observation. I'm sure the recent proposal by the Greenland group will further provide infill to make it wider.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
lol@ the ODLH statue. Does anyone know if there is a schedule for Prime Matter? I've never seen the flames - only in pics and video.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 4:33 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtlaCuriousity View Post
lol@ the ODLH statue. Does anyone know if there is a schedule for Prime Matter? I've never seen the flames - only in pics and video.
It's rare to actually see it on fire. I've seen in twice myself. Though it looks bad ass. Not many people know that it catches on fire.

http://www.publicartinla.com/Downtow...tter_night.jpg

http://www.abbeville.com/images-cata...interior04.jpg

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...671676&pid=1.7

Really hope the Wilshire Grand has something as cool in it's plaza.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:48 PM

I've always seen Prime Matter lit in the early evening/night. During the summer though, that means that there's actually decent light outside when it's on. You almost wouldn't notice that it's on during those times.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
I've always seen Prime Matter lit in the early evening/night. During the summer though, that means that there's actually decent light outside when it's on. You almost wouldn't notice that it's on during those times.
Yeah you right. the 2 times I've seen it lit on fire, it was early evening around sunset. I always had to take a second look to actually notice it was on.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 10:08 PM

I just returned from another trip to the site. The last of the concrete for the foundation was poured at 11:30AM when a horn sounded to signal the last pour. The last of the trucks were leaving as of 1PM. I went to the podium they had set up and took a look. Then the stairs at the Wedbush building for another look. You can clearly see the core rebar sticking up from the concrete.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 1:54 AM

Just came back from there myself and finally was able to look into the pit. The whole area where the cement went into is covered in large black tarps. How long does it need to sit like that?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 2:17 AM

they said it will take approximately 2 weeks for the concrete to set so thats my guess

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 2:43 AM

Last edited by mdiederi; Feb 17, 2014 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 3:15 AM

reddit

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
they said it will take approximately 2 weeks for the concrete to set so thats my guess
An official told me today several things. That black tarps will cover the concrete and the black pipes and white tubes with refrigerated water in them to 40 degrees will eventually have grout fill them when they are done with them. The core will rise first several floors then the perimeter columns will be placed on the starter columns and follow the core up so they can tie into the core. The black crane will have a climbing formwork installed on it and climb all the way up. The white crane is for the lower part of the complex. There will be another crane that will be added to the core of the building later. The entire curing process for the foundation will take up to 3 months but steel will be up to street level by then. I didn't realize they had tall rebar for future columns installed for the lower areas on the west side till today.

Last edited by sw5710; Feb 17, 2014 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:08 AM

I can see why they had a parade! That is the most concrete pumps I have ever seen lined up to pour a foundation. Incredible update mdiederi!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
An official told me today several things. That black tarps will cover the concrete and the black pipes and white tubes with refrigerated water in them to 40 degrees will eventually have grout fill them when they are done with them. The core will rise first several floors then the perimeter columns will be placed on the starter columns and follow the core up so they can tie into the core. The black crane will have a climbing formwork installed on it and climb all the way up. The white crane is for the lower part of the complex. There will be another crane that will be added to the core of the building later. The entire curing process for the foundation will take up to 3 months but steel will be up to street level by then. I didn't realize they had tall rebar for future columns installed for the lower areas on the west side till today.
Good info!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
I can see why they had a parade! That is the most concrete pumps I have ever seen lined up to pour a foundation. Incredible update mdiederi!
Yes it was crazy. It is on the news now about the world record set.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post

reddit
I think this is my favorite shot showing the completed foundation.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
I think this is my favorite shot showing the completed foundation.
I think maybe that green concrete pump on the white stand in the middle of the foundation is going to rise with the core all the way to the top, pumping concrete as it goes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive