HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:10 AM
ARTchitecture

Wow all of that is Burlington? That looks remarkably pleasant. I guess I have seriously underestimated the place despite having been born and raised less than an hour away. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Few pics from DT Burlington today. Nice and sunny, but windy by the water. Much more pleasant away from the shore.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:46 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Wow all of that is Burlington? That looks remarkably pleasant. I guess I have seriously underestimated the place despite having been born and raised less than an hour away. Thanks for sharing!
To be fair, that's just a tiny section of the city, though: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.32505...7957249,18.01z

99% of it is what you could uncharitably call a suburban wasteland. Though that wouldn't stop 99% of its residents from looking down upon and avoiding all contact with Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
To be fair, that's just a tiny section of the city, though: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.32505...7957249,18.01z

99% of it is what you could uncharitably call a suburban wasteland. Though that wouldn't stop 99% of its residents from looking down upon and avoiding all contact with Hamilton.
Who's looking down at who?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:14 PM

calling most of Burlington suburban wasteland is a little shortsighted and a bit unfair in my opinion. Burlington has a very quaint downtown with an urban fabric.. its actually very charming. Once you're out of the downtown, is it suburban, yes... wasteland... no. when I think of suburban wasteland I think more of Scarborough, Brampton and Mississauga, Vaughan... once you're out of those cities cores then its just warehouse upon warehouse and mass residential subdivisions. Burlington manages to avoid that desolate feel quite successfully actually.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:49 PM

This morning's sunrise

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
calling most of Burlington suburban wasteland is a little shortsighted and a bit unfair in my opinion. Burlington has a very quaint downtown with an urban fabric.. its actually very charming. Once you're out of the downtown, is it suburban, yes... wasteland... no. when I think of suburban wasteland I think more of Scarborough, Brampton and Mississauga, Vaughan... once you're out of those cities cores then its just warehouse upon warehouse and mass residential subdivisions. Burlington manages to avoid that desolate feel quite successfully actually.
Well said. Burlington is a different kind of suburb and far from 99% suburban wasteland. Though I know 99% was an exaggeration used for dramatic effect. There's a lot more going on than mass subdivisions and strip malls.

I lived in Burlington for a year and a half in a more suburban part of the city, but the vibe was different than other suburbs I've been around and/or lived in. And that's just the "suburban" part of Burlington. Much of it is not typical suburban as imagined by most people these days when using the term. Bedroom community vibes for much of it? Sure, but also lots of character and not to mention nature apparent throughout much of the city, and not just in the downtown or the rural/escarpment areas.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:27 PM
ARTchitecture

Last night's prismatic Chinook sunset over the city. Rockies to the left, skyline to the right.

Chinook Sunset by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:26 AM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:45 PM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There will potentially be 7 or more cranes up in the area covered by that third picture in a few months. And the existing cranes on the left are likely not full height yet. Then pan to the left and there will be another big hospital construction site plus a couple other towers.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The first photo is interesting too for all of the small developments that are popping up. They are 4-8 storey buildings that don't really register as being part of the "skyline" but they are consolidating the mixed-use, medium density feel of that area. When it works out well the feel is not unlike European neighbourhoods of medium density, small footprint flats.

20 years ago it was a place that people might say had nice bones and character and some architectural gems but it's passing out of "potentially good" toward "actually good". And eventually I think it will be considered a great neighbourhood, maybe even a nationally famous one since Canada doesn't have a lot of these 200+ year old character areas or even a lot of fine-grained medium density urban neighbourhoods.

The reno or rebuild on the house in the lower right is pretty rough though. Same for the ugly white vinyl windows on the green apartment building. That stuff wouldn't happen in a city that did a good job of managing its historic character.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Bishop's Landing, Halifax waterfront

Source

Spring Garden Road area

Source

Source

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
The residential areas south of the QEW are very attractive, if car oriented. They are also insanely expensive..

The areas north of the QEW are more your typical suburban areas. The older areas actually specifically remind me of large parts of scarborough. There are attractive areas within it, but all very suburban in form. I always liked Tyandaga.. 110% auto oriented, but almost all the lots are ravine backing. If you are going to live in the suburbs, you may as well live somewhere like that.

Downtown Burlington has a high-rise construction boom right now which the Mayor is desperately trying to stop. It'll be interesting to see how the city changes over the next decade or two.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:48 AM
ARTchitecture

Those Halifax shots are

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:13 AM

I'm not usually a fan of black and white photos - but those Halifax ones have a great feel to them and not overly contrasted. Nice street scenes too!

Took a lot of Victoria pics this fall, will just post a few at a time keeping with the strict limits rule for this thread! Had a good photo shoot the last weekend of November with the Great Scaper, so hope he'll post a few here as well.

Blanshard street by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

LoJo2 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

LoJo by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Fan Tan Alley by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Douglas and Yates by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The Lee’s Benevolent Assocation by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The last picture you can see outside geodesic type see through tents for outside dining in the winter. I'll have to try it out, would be kind of fun to have a beer downtown with the sound of rain bouncing off your table's own tent. I'll post a better picture of that tomorrow.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 6:37 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Fantastic photos Zoomer. I also enjoyed our photo tour of Victoria. I just haven't uploaded my photos to Flickr yet. I will do that this weekend. I'll post a few of my older shots I've taken.

Victoria's soon to be second tallest building... British Columbia, Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

The Johnson Street Bridge, Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
The Morrin Centre deserves to be better known in the rest of the country.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:31 PM

^ What is it? The building certainly looks impressive.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:34 PM

English language library and cultural centre. It has a long history. I think it may have started life as something else (prison?), but it was an English language college/Presbyterian seminary for many years, going back to the 19th century.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:56 PM

The Morrin Centre in Quebec City is such an interesting place to visit, both for its architecture and for its vocation (and what it represents). It was initially built as the royal redoubt in 1712 after which it was transformed in a prison in 1813, It eventually housed the Morrin College, which was the first anglophone institute of higher education in Quebec City. As it is specified on their website, the Morrin Centre "is designed to educate the public about the historic contribution and present-day culture of local English-speakers." Nowadays, the Morrin Centre is the home of The Literary and Historical Society of Quebec: the meeting place for English Quebec since 1824.

Again, I strongly recommend to anyone visiting Quebec City to make a stop there!!

https://www.morrin.org/histoire-du-centre/

https://lecahier.com/quoi-faire-quebec-cet-ete/

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2019...isons-a-quebec

Last edited by davidivivid; Dec 5, 2020 at 8:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada