HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 1:42 PM

OC Transpo to launch open payment (Visa, MC, Apple Pay & Google Pay) on buses and O-Train in 2021: https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...236652547?s=20

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 1:44 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

It's about time.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 1:56 PM

That's awesome. Good on OC Transpo for getting this done.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 3:03 PM

Metrolinx lawyers already drafting a lawsuit I bet.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
OC Transpo to launch open payment (Visa, MC, Apple Pay & Google Pay) on buses and O-Train in 2021: https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...236652547?s=20
I've said for a while that OC buying their own fare-payment equipment was a smart move. S&B is currently working on re-programming all of the Bus Fare Transaction Processors so they will run locally, rather than through PRESTO. Presto then runs as an application on top of the local FareGo back-end, which OC already uses to enable employee, retiree, accessibility, contractor and other access cards. Adding open payments at the local level is an off-the-shelf solution with FareGo, avoiding PRESTO entirely and giving OC control over the entire payment system and its costs except for PRESTO.

This compares to the TTC, which uses identical equipment but doesn't own it, and is therefore stuck with whatever Metrolinx has to offer at the price they set.

The only issue with open payments is that I can't see them being STO compatible.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 3:15 PM

I hope OC can eventually dump Presto completely adopt its own (or STO's) transit card. Just before the pandemic, I added $80 to my Presto. It now sits in Metrolinx's bank account, gathering interest to support TO area transit instead of contributing help to my local transit agency during a crisis.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I hope OC can eventually dump Presto completely adopt its own (or STO's) transit card. Just before the pandemic, I added $80 to my Presto. It now sits in Metrolinx's bank account, gathering interest to support TO area transit instead of contributing help to my local transit agency during a crisis.
Given today's low interest rates, I doubt that the interest that accrues on wallet balances is even enough to pay Accenture et al for monthly system support costs.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I actually like the flexibility of being able to use Presto on GO and the TTC.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:11 PM

It certainly is nice when I got to Toronto to visit my sister. I wish KW used Presto for when I go to visit friends there. Though I am only an infrequent Transit user so load no more than $20 at a time.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Same. I travel to KW often and love how I can get there using a mix of OC Transpo, TTC, and GO all on the same transit card (apart from my VIA ticket, which is on my phone).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Nothing stopping you from doing that if OC Transpo were to stop supporting Presto. You would just have to use a different card while in Ottawa. A better option would be for GO and the TTC to support contactless payment to make it easier for any visitor.

The reality is I see it as being a very slow migration. Unless Metrolinx tries to gouge Ottawa again when the contract comes up for renewal, there is no reason not to continue to support Presto as an option for cash payment. It wouldn't surprise me though if they move to STO's Multi card (or develop their own) for monthly passes. Presto would only be there for cash payment option, for those who wish to use it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Nothing stopping you from doing that if OC Transpo were to stop supporting Presto. You would just have to use a different card while in Ottawa. A better option would be for GO and the TTC to support contactless payment to make it easier for any visitor.

The reality is I see it as being a very slow migration. Unless Metrolinx tries to gouge Ottawa again when the contract comes up for renewal, there is no reason not to continue to support Presto as an option for cash payment. It wouldn't surprise me though if they move to STO's Multi card (or develop their own) for monthly passes. Presto would only be there for cash payment option, for those who wish to use it.
True. I just prefer the simplicity of the single card, and I prefer using a fare card for small charges. I think anyone who has been hit by credit card fraud likes the idea of a card where the maximum loss is $50 or whatever it is set at.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 5:47 PM

Not Interac?

Seriously, they leave out Interac?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 6:30 PM

If interac is out, it's likely because its fixed fee model doesn't work for low-value transactions.

Last edited by DarkArconio; Aug 23, 2020 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 7:07 PM

Well, that's going to be a problem for some of us, then.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
Not Interac?

I suppose you could use a debit card via Apple Pay or Google Pay. Or continue to use Presto.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArconio View Post
If interac is out, it's likely based its fixed fee model doesn't work for low-value transactions.
Same in Vancouver, the first city to implement open-payments.

https://www.translink.ca/About-Us/Me...20its%20system.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
Not Interac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I suppose you could use a debit card via Apple Pay or Google Pay. Or continue to use Presto.
I'm not confident that Interac will work withe Apple/Google Pay. Both of those systems effectively just pretend to be the card they're emulating, they don't run the card across a different payment network.

The issue with debit in general is that it requires real-time verification. Though rare nowadays, credit cards can be asynchronous since they rely on the user's credit, so the merchant can complete the transaction even without verification that the cardholder has sufficient credit available. This is the same reason that airlines and VIA don't accept debit for on-board transactions.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
I'm not confident that Interac will work withe Apple/Google Pay. Both of those systems effectively just pretend to be the card they're emulating, they don't run the card across a different payment network.
I am not sure about Google Pay, but Apple Pay does not work that way. It works with your financial institution to create a unique token that is tied to your account, not your your card (I believe the token changes for each transaction as well, to further reduce fraud). Because it uses bio-metric identity confirmation, the usual transaction limits for contactless payments are waved.

Quote:
The issue with debit in general is that it requires real-time verification. Though rare nowadays, credit cards can be asynchronous since they rely on the user's credit, so the merchant can complete the transaction even without verification that the cardholder has sufficient credit available. This is the same reason that airlines and VIA don't accept debit for on-board transactions.
That is a valid point regardless, and it may still prevent debit from being used, unless your phone can confirm the account balance.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
I've said for a while that OC buying their own fare-payment equipment was a smart move. S&B is currently working on re-programming all of the Bus Fare Transaction Processors so they will run locally, rather than through PRESTO. Presto then runs as an application on top of the local FareGo back-end, which OC already uses to enable employee, retiree, accessibility, contractor and other access cards. Adding open payments at the local level is an off-the-shelf solution with FareGo, avoiding PRESTO entirely and giving OC control over the entire payment system and its costs except for PRESTO.

This compares to the TTC, which uses identical equipment but doesn't own it, and is therefore stuck with whatever Metrolinx has to offer at the price they set.

The only issue with open payments is that I can't see them being STO compatible.
Why do you say that? Couldn't support for STO Multi cards also be added as a separate application on top of the local FareGo back-end. They might even be able to get access to its e-wallet (with an appropriate agreement with STO) since OC Transpo has control over the back-end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation