HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 8:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

To be fair I feel it. When it was cold, lol mask actually acted as another layer of protection. Lately when I walked outside, mask at 35C is super uncomfortable.
That said, for groceries, order online.
For transit, as long as there’s AC, it should be fine although I’m also uncomfortable with being in any enclosed space for too long. Anecdotally speaking, enclosure is where transmission by aerosol can happen.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 10:08 PM

There's some evidence that air conditioning can spread the virus droplets, so part of the plan should be to commit to minimizing AC use on buses and trains. Maybe leave it off except on days where the temperature goes above 30. I find OC tends to be excessive with the AC (quite often in summer I actually get uncomfortably cold on buses) so there's definitely room to cut down on its use.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'm reminded of guys complaining about wearing condoms ....
Yes, the 21st century face condom. The only difference, you wear a condom for a relative short period of time, not hours on end.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
There's some evidence that air conditioning can spread the virus droplets, so part of the plan should be to commit to minimizing AC use on buses and trains. Maybe leave it off except on days where the temperature goes above 30. I find OC tends to be excessive with the AC (quite often in summer I actually get uncomfortably cold on buses) so there's definitely room to cut down on its use.
The operator can only turn on or off the air conditioning - there is no ability to control the temperature except by the mechanics at the garage.

In my opinion, I would be against leaving the A/C off. Furthermore, passengers are unable to open the windows on the remaining hybrid buses that are still in revenue service (except at the back of the bus) and double decker buses in the 8100 series -- the A/C must be turned on or else the bus will be dangerously hot.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
To be fair I feel it. When it was cold, lol mask actually acted as another layer of protection. Lately when I walked outside, mask at 35C is super uncomfortable.
There isn't much point in wearing a mask outside. The planetary atmosphere is your mask outside.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
The problem with AC/ventilation systems spreading viruses is the downstream effect. The AC on buses is pumped down from above the passenger's heads. Unless there's an infected passenger hanging upside down like a bat above you, I would imagine the bus's AC system is of negligible risk as a vector.

Now, about those windows that Stephen Blais screwed shut...

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The problem with AC/ventilation systems spreading viruses is the downstream effect. The AC on buses is pumped down from above the passenger's heads. Unless there's an infected passenger hanging upside down like a bat above you, I would imagine the bus's AC system is of negligible risk as a vector.

Now, about those windows that Stephen Blais screwed shut...
That's reassuring to hear. I am worried about the impacts of AC use in general in the city though; Ottawans use it quite excessively, I find. Stores in this city are often freezing cold in the summer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 11:32 AM

Dialing down (or up, if you will) the A/C should be part of the City's climate action plan. When it's 30+ outside, an A/C unit at 25 will suffice, but it seems they have it at 18. The City's initial idea of having door on Line 1 open manually when it's freezing outside should apply when it's sweltering hot as well.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 11:28 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

In a Canadian first, transit commission approves mandatory masks on OC Transpo

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: 14 hours ago • 4 minute read

The transit commission on Monday endorsed an OC Transpo recommendation to make every person wear a non-medical cloth mask on buses, trains and in stations starting June 15, with the top boss assuring commissioners that law enforcement won’t be aggressively ticketing people for breaking the unprecedented rule.

John Manconi, the general manager for Transpo, said the agency doesn’t intend to fine people for not wearing masks but rather educate them.

“We’re not going to have mask police,” he said.

Manconi said Transpo will be the first transit agency in Canada to implement a mandatory mask policy in co-operation with the local health unit. Ottawa Public Health (OPH) endorses Transpo’s plan to require customers to wear masks.

“We want to see as many people as possible who can wear a mask do so,” Brent Moloughney, OPH associate medical officer of health, told the transit commission.

The masks are necessary because Transpo doesn’t have enough buses and trains to keep people properly distanced from each other to reduce the spread of COVID-19, especially if the ridership returns to normal levels. Health officials want people to stay at least two metres a part.

Far fewer people are riding buses and trains, but as the province reopens more of the economy there will be an uptick in ridership.

Ridership in May was down about 80 per cent during the pandemic closures, which is a slight improvement from the 85 per cent decrease recorded in March. Transpo has been been providing about 60 per cent of its usual service for this time of year.

Transpo is largely counting on the good sensibilities of the transit ridership to look out for each other and staff.

Supervisors and special constables monitoring the network will talk with customers about the new policy and will have extra masks, Manconi said.

Since it’s difficult to distribute messages about masks at every bus stop across the network, bus drivers won’t refuse service to customers for not wearing masks, he said.

The only passengers not required to wear a mask will be young children, people who have difficulty breathing and people who can’t put on and remove masks without assistance.

Along with the mask policy, Transpo is increasing cleaning of buses, trains and stations, installing barriers on bus driver cabs and installing hand sanitizers at stations. The extra COVID-related measures will cost $950,000 each month, plus a one-time cost of $325,000 for equipment, such as the sanitizers and barriers.

Phillip Turcotte, the chair of the city’s accessibility advisory committee, said he was disappointed that Transpo didn’t consult the committee on the plan.

Turcotte said there’s a concern that passengers who are unable to wear masks for accessibility reasons will be stigmatized, so he encouraged Transpo to increase messaging on that issue.

Transpo will make 200,000 disposable masks available to customers for free for about a week after June 15 if they forgot their own masks. The agency is also working with the United Way to have masks for sale at some stations for a small fee.

Pat Scrimgeour, the director of transit planning and customer systems, warned the commission that a second wave of the COVID-19 outbreak could roll back service.

“We will have to adapt to whatever comes,” Scrimgeour said.

For now, Transpo has established the service plans for the summer.

Transit service will begin returning to regular operations later this month. All routes begin summer service on June 28.

Fall service will begin Aug. 30 and Transpo anticipates there will be 15 LRT trains, rather than the current maximum of 13 trains, operating on the LRT system by the start of fall service.

The only Transpo customer service centre that will open will be at the Rideau Centre, but not until the mall reopens.

There was skepticism on the commission about Transpo’s proposal.

Michael Olsen, a citizen transit commissioner, said he prefers a policy that encourages the voluntary use of masks since he doesn’t want customers who are unable to wear masks to be harassed under a mandatory policy. He was the only commissioner who voted against the plan in a 10-1 vote.

Only when OPH gives permission can Transpo end the mask-wearing requirement.

Coun. Riley Brockington said he’s against giving the health unit the sole authority to say when the masks are no longer required on Transpo.

“We’re are the people who are accountable to the public to make decisions,” Brockington said.

Meanwhile, Olsen issued an apology to a fellow citizen commissioner for remarks he made during the last commission meeting of 2019.

There was a discussion about the mysterious stench on Parliament Station during that Dec. 18 meeting, with Olsen suggesting it was a “gender equity thing” that he couldn’t detect the smell after Sarah Wright-Gilbert questioned management over the stink.

She demanded an immediate apology. Olsen, at the time, refused.

“I’m sincerely sorry for the hurt my remarks may have caused commissioner Wright-Gilbert, others on the commission or any in the wider public,” Olsen said at the start of Monday’s meeting.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-bc06ec887344/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa altered: How will transit change after the pandemic?

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 9:29 PM

Maybe this will push governments to shift their focus to urban transit for high-density corridors instead of low density commuter suburbs.

Quote:
COVID-19 AFTERMATH: OC Transpo could be facing a radical remodelling

Jon Willing, Postmedia
June 16, 2020

There's another concern about long-term implications of the pandemic on Ottawa's public transit system, which relies on customer fares to operate a service spread across a massive region.

OC Transpo could be facing a radical remodelling and it depends heavily on how aggressive the federal government will be to embrace a sweeping telework culture when the COVID-19 pandemic is over.

Transpo and the City of Ottawa are focused on the short-term implications of restarting the economy while the virus is still spreading. Starting Monday, customers will be required to wear a mask if they’re able to because there’s no way Transpo can force a two-metre buffer between people on buses and trains.

The ridership levels will slowly rise as more businesses and public institutions reopen, but there’s another concern about the long-term implications of the pandemic on Ottawa’s public transit system, one that relies on customer fares to operate a service spread across a massive geographic region.

It comes down to this: if employers, and especially federal government departments, have found benefits to allowing their staff to work from home, even if it’s not every day, Transpo faces a major revenue problem, drawing questions about how the city’s transit network should be re-designed for a transformed ridership.

There’s a larger discussion, of course, about the impacts to all transportation modes and what habits will stick after the pandemic.

But the municipal government runs the public transit system relying mostly on fare-paying passengers and property taxpayers to keep Transpo running. Reduce the amount of money collected at the fare box and there’s only one other place to go for more money under the current financial setup.

Two recent developments are especially worth watching for city hall: the decision by Shopify to be a work-from-home employer and an indication by at least one federal department that teleworking will be part of the post-COVID work environment.

It might seem hypothetical, these questions about how the pandemic will alter transit planning, ridership and revenue, but transit bosses across the country are closely watching shifts in workplace cultures. Even in Ottawa’s municipal government, 90 per cent of office-based employees are able to work from home, potentially giving city management something to think about when it comes to post-pandemic workforce policies.

The city is also paying close attention to how Ottawa’s post-secondary institutions change their course delivery, especially if the expansion of online learning becomes a legacy of the pandemic.

Transpo has entered into u-pass agreements with students, providing deep transit discounts to students while providing guaranteed and predictable revenue to the agency. If fewer students are required to attend courses in person, there could be tough questions about the future of the u-pass, which rakes in about $30 million annually for Transpo.

John Manconi, the city’s general manger of transportation services, told the transit commission recently that “we all need to be concerned” about the impact to public transit coming out of the public health crisis.

On the other hand, Manconi sees an opportunity to “re-invent” public transit under the challenge of making transit even more attractive for riders when the pandemic closures end.

The problem is, no one really knows what the future looks like.

While Transpo is taking the pandemic’s impact on transit on a day-by-day basis, Manconi said the agency is attempting to map out the long-term implications.

It’s a discussion that will surely go beyond Transpo and include transit planning, especially at a time when the city develops a refreshed transportation master plan, which will likely include “phase three” LRT extensions to Kanata and Barrhaven. The first two phases of the O-Train construction program cost nearly $7 billion and the city will need to make a case to council, based on current and future ridership, if it wants governments to spend billions more on extending tracks to additional suburban communities.

At the same time, the pandemic is pushing some projects from the wish list to the action list.

Ever since Transpo launched Presto there has been a hope that payment options would expand beyond the smart card. Presto’s tap-and-go infrastructure has the technical capabilities of letting customers tap their credit cards, debit cards or mobile phones to pay for trips, but Transpo has been focused on making sure all’s well with the Presto card before allowing other payment options.

Now, Transpo has an opportunity to expand open payments as early as the end of 2020. A greater push for contactless payments is driving the much-awaited transformation.

Transpo wants to make it easy to pay for a ride on a bus or train. It makes sense as a tourist city if Transpo can attract visitors to the transit system without having to teach them how to pay. Wouldn’t it be easier if people could just tap a payment card already in their wallets or scan their mobile phones in front of a console?

“We’re trying to create a world where you can pay with any medium you want,” Manconi said.

And Transpo will need to get as much revenue as possible to run a post-pandemic public transit system that aims to have fare-paying customers cover most of the operations, with property tax money paying for the rest.

Ridership decreases mean less revenue to pay for the operations, which leaves council with two options: use more tax money to fund existing transit operations, potentially leading to tax increases, or scale back the transit network. It’s not a great choice for politicians.

The financial impact is an immediate problem, too. That’s why some provincial transportation ministers, including Ontario’s Caroline Mulroney, are calling on the federal government to help backstop transit operations as more people return to work.

In Ottawa, decisions by the federal government, combined with transformations at post-secondary institutions and other large employers, will directly impact Transpo’s ability to fund the current transit network and expand service. If there are more public servants who aren’t required to commute by bus or train as part of a workplace revolution, the transit commission and city council should be ready for some tough debates on how city hall funds transit.
https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...a-e32857fd6918

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 5:58 PM

Debunking the exaggerated claims that transit helped propagate the spread of Covid-19.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...cities/612979/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:44 PM

Some interesting (and positive) comments from Jarrett Walker about the potential implications of lower peak demand: https://humantransit.org/2020/05/the...deep-dive.html

A transit system more focused on all-day service could end up being more sustainable in the long run.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 10:20 PM

I work for the federal government and the word in our department (and others) is that some of us will probably never work in a traditional cubicle again. Some staff will start heading back to their offices in the fall/winter, either because their job requires it, or that's the employee's preference. But for the rest of us, there's no rush. (My own job can be done 100% remotely.) I don't expect peak period to be like it was for some time, possibly for a few years.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Some interesting (and positive) comments from Jarrett Walker about the potential implications of lower peak demand: https://humantransit.org/2020/05/the...deep-dive.html

A transit system more focused on all-day service could end up being more sustainable in the long run.
Makes a lot of sense. Here's a graph showing demand pre-Covid vs May. Data is collected from mostly Canadian and American transit agencies (via Transit app), and some international. Rush-hour has dropped drastically, while all-day that has dropped significantly, but not quite as severe.

You can see Ottawa's graph and many others at https://transit.app/coronavirus. Of all the big 6 Canadian cities, Ottawa seems to have the highest rush-hour peak pre-Covid.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 8:32 PM

Ottawa is back in the APTA ridership report for Q1 2020... but without ridership numbers for the Confederation Line?

Light Rail shows average daily ridership of 19,400 which is basically the same as Q4 2019 with a slight dip. i.e. The Trillium Line. Still a pretty significant increase over Q1 2019 for the Trillium Line.

Otherwise, bus ridership and total ridership volumes through January and February were up compared to Q1 2019, with a sharp falloff in March which I can only assume was pandemic-related since the losses are comparable to other agencies for that month. These are the highest ridership numbers in recent years, and while some of that may be attributable to better data collection via fare gates and stuff, it's clear there wasn't an exodus of passengers even through the winter months.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 11:54 PM

I kept buying my monthly pass during the lockdown months, mainly because I want the system to be there for me whenever I have to start using it again on a regular basis. Contributing to bankrupting OC Transpo is not a thing I want to do.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 11:58 PM

We weren't purchasing monthly passes, opting instead to load my Presto and go ride by ride. This made sense for us because we drove once or twice per week. I put $100 on my Presto before the lockdown, but I imagine Presto benefits, not OC Transpo.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:16 PM

This year was suppose to have been the first year where LRT is in operation on Canada Day. But obviously with COVID-19, that will not be the case until next year.

This would be a good opportunity to reflect how OC Transpo operated bus service on Canada Day after the Fireworks.

Below is a video that I took over the last three Canada Days (2017-19), looking back at how service was managed after the 10pm Fireworks, including the staging of buses for standby.along Albert/Slater/Mack Bridge prior to the conclusion of the Fireworks.

NOTE: The length of the video is 1 hour and 19 minutes.long.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 2:45 PM

Impressive display!

I was looking forward to seeing the Confederation Line's first Canada Day and Bluesfest. Chances are though, it would have broken down. Like it did during the Black Lives Matter protest, and New Years and any other high volume event.

As devastating as Covid-19 has been to the economy, the health care systems of the world and most of all the death toll, it might have been a good thing for the Confederation Line. Lower volume and more time to fix chronic issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation